• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Next TRFC Manager

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
As far as Dawes is concerned we should wait and see. Whether the last two results have been a result of the players allegiance to him or embarrassment at their own part in Jacko's failure, or even a bit of both, who knows, but we should not rush to appoint a new Manager now. See how the next week or two goes.
I would imagine that MP is neck-deep in a process to recruit the new manager. I can't see that this sort of short-termism fits into any kind of recruitment strategy. It's not something you can turn on / off and expect favoured candidates to just hang around in limbo. Unless Dawes has applied and is under consideration it will, quite probably and correctly, be "thank you but goodbye".

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Derek Jones mentioned that Paul Ince was there today in a scouting capacity.

I’m sure Ince would actually like the job. Still lives local but no thanks.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I would imagine that MP is neck-deep in a process to recruit the new manager. I can't see that this sort of short-termism fits into any kind of recruitment strategy. It's not something you can turn on / off and expect favoured candidates to just hang around in limbo. Unless Dawes has applied and is under consideration it will, quite probably and correctly, be "thank you but goodbye".
I completely agree. Added to which, if this group of players can respond to a complete rookie like Dawes, however well he is doing tactically, surely they will also respond to one of the far better qualified managers that we are interviewing ?

Whether Dawes is in charge for two, three, four or five games, we won't know at the end of that period whether he is capable of doing the job in the long term. I seriously doubt he is being considered.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Ince only seemed any good with Ray Mathias as part of his team.

While I agree it is highly unlikely that Dawes is even under consideration, the way that he and Parky have quickly turned things around demonstrate how just bad Mike Jackson was as a manager. Better qualified managers also need to be the right fit, as we learned through bitter experience with Micky Adams. As bigmart said earlier, Dawes is buying Mark valuable time to ensure the next appointment is the right one for us.

Player
Manager
John King
If Palios is diligent in the recruitment process, the new manager will be the right fit.

drwhoman

You may be right but as events have proved recently, choosing a Manager is always a bit of a gamble, and we cannot afford another failure. As others have said, there is no need to rush and certainly a big name with limited management experience would not be a good idea. At present, the squad seems to be playing with a bit of confidence and pride. Long may it continue!

Player
Manager
John King
Dawes would be a bigger gamble than any of the names under serious consideration, all of whom have considerable managerial experience.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
As fickle as football fans are, it will only take one bad performance under Dawes for people to be calling for his head anyway. At least with us performing much better now, MP has a bit more time to get it right.

ADD

Player
Norwood
To me Dawes has already in his pre- and post match interviews and of course in tactical acumen on the pitch showed he is light years ahead of Jackson managerially but that said I don't think for one moment Dawes will get the job on a permanent basis. I also like the fact that he was given the chance to big himself up but he chose not to and talked about all the changes that have been made as being "tweaks" - he also refused to say he wanted the job when asked directly last night.
I wonder if what however might complicate the recruitment process is that MP may make it a condition of the employment offer that the new manager keeps on Dawes (and Parky) rather than bring his own backroom team in.

Player
Manager
John King
In the early weeks of Jackson's reign I thought his interviews were fine. He was articulate and confident. It was in the last couple of weeks that he resorted to excuses and non-sequiters, but that happens with any struggling manager. It is easy to give an interview when you have won a game.

In relation to the backroom staff, if our first choice manager wants to bring in his own people and we can afford it, I think he will be allowed to. We won't tie his hands - or dissuade him altogether - by insisting Dawes stays on.

Parky would stay on regardless because he is employed as a youth coach.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Well of course you think differently to me - it was ever thus!
I never said MP would insist Dawes would stay on - I simply "wondered" if MP might try and retain Dawes.
That might be one reason why the next managerial appointment might take a little longer as if that were MP's objective the new Manager would want to meet Dawes and see him in action before either agreeing or insisting he could bring in his own staff. After all MP would then avoid a pay off and a higher salaried assistant coming in and so mean MP's salary budget for the manager himself is higher so he could maybe attract higher calibre candidates.
Also if the suggestions on another forum of an interim Manager being considered were actually true then not changing all the backroom staff makes even more sense.

Player
Manager
John King
I just doubt that MP would make keeping Dawes a condition of the appointment if it was a high quality, high profile candidate.

If it was Sol Campbell or McGreal, perhaps, but I doubt Palios would jeopardise the process if it was Adkins or someone similar. And the bigger name candidates would almost certainly want complete control of the dressing room and training ground.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think we have to be realistic about this. On the one hand, I can't see Mark making retaining Dawes as a pre-requisite for the next appointment. However Mike Jackson was a relatively inexpensive appointment enabling funds to be diverted to squad building. His replacement will almost certainly cost more and their entourage more again. This will probably limit further player recruitment, so that further additions would need to be balanced by departures. ADDs observation on a 'shop window' manager is a valid one, if they're going to be allowed to move on as soon as a better offer comes along. How you square this particular circle, I'm not sure...

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I suspect Boz that one of the caveats for any manager will be that any intended recruitment will be highly limited. On paper we have a decent squad and whoever comes in will have to work with it. Mark did get the chequebook out for Jacko and won’t be able to do it again.
As RLC alluded to a sticking point could be Palios desire to retain Parky and Dawes with any prospective manager wanting to bring his own staff in.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Was he after too much money again?

Player
Manager
John King
I think he wanted the freedom to walk away at short notice as well, judging by the rumours.

Whoever gets it, I personally hope it is not Dawes. I would be disappointed with that.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Cheeky sod. The search continues..