• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Adkins permanent

ADD

Player
Norwood
Confirmed until end 25/26 season.
Bizarre appointment considering.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Very strange to give him such a long contract, unless there are other people in the background who have agreed to this. Not convinced this is the right decision at all, but at least the current uncertainty is ended.

In his statement Palios again uses injuries as an excuse for our poor performance, which (perhaps) Norris aside simply does not wash.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
How strange. His record as interim is not much better than Dawes who was sacked!!

Just strikes once again of the cheap and easy option. Unless of course potential new owners want him there but if he takes us down then what?!?

Agree with RLC about injuries. For most of the season we’ve had loads of midfielders and attacking players available, apart from Norris. And a million full backs now to choose from.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Plus surely an interim has to impress to get a permanent deal. Nigel hasn’t and can’t blame injuries for that
Are you sure you are looking at this realistically, who was on trial him or us?

Not surprised he’s got it, slightly surprised at length of contract, although I assume it has the appropriate conditional clauses.

On the basis Adkins had relatively little input into the summer transfer dealings, and even though the coming window obviously won’t solve all our problems, January should nevertheless give us a better idea than what we’ve seen so far of the direction he’ll take us, in terms of both shaping the squad and the playing style. I assume, by the fact he’s now signed, that he’s been given enough assurance to be able to do that in a way he’s happy with.

The other main thought that comes to mind is trust. Gut has long since told me that MP has trust issues with managers, prompting him to interfere too much, even from the early days when Hume was clearly signed above Adams’ head. Micky eventually earned that trust, and it’s clear Adkins has it too. As such, I reckon it’s that trust that’s now trumped all the past talk about failed managers, young coaches, technical directors etc. Maybe even more so since Palios surely sees this as (or at least hopes this will be!) his final managerial appointment anyway.

What could possibly go wrong?!

Last edited:

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
In simple terms results under his tenure haven’t been good enough. That’s all I’m bothered about
Kingy had 30 games with no success including mass recruitment and three big transfers in. People used to joke about short term conclusions, maybe having the next boss in the stand so you can flip them at half time is the answer.
We can't change every ten matches because results aren't good

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
Very strange to give him such a long contract, unless there are other people in the background who have agreed to this. Not convinced this is the right decision at all, but at least the current uncertainty is ended.

In his statement Palios again uses injuries as an excuse for our poor performance, which (perhaps) Norris aside simply does not wash.
Yep, that injury thing ignores the fact that other teams suffer equally, if not worse. Doncaster had a hugely depleted side and still beat us. Carlisle got promoted last season with a ridiculous amount of injuries, that we’ve never got close to.
I’m surprised at the length of the contract, but not at the appointment. Here’s hoping he can turn things around.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Kingy had 30 games with no success including mass recruitment and three big transfers in. People used to joke about short term conclusions, maybe having the next boss in the stand so you can flip them at half time is the answer.
We can't change every ten matches because results aren't good
Yes I agree constant change only ends up in failure. The length of the deal shows Nigel is committed and hopefully he’ll be backed by Palios in January.

I’m just not sure he’s the answer given his persistence with the Dawes 4-3-3 albeit he’s tweaked it a bit of late.

Hopefully he’ll prove me wrong.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Of course it all means the same coaches and voices, the same ‘team behind the team’ that Dawes had. I was hoping we’d get a completely fresh coaching team in but obviously that costs money.

I think we’ve lost 5 in a row in all competitions so Nigel has done well out of it getting a 2.5 year deal. Would be interested if Palios spoke to anyone else but unlikely.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Wow, didn't see that coming. I suppose in terms of stability it is a good move and would stabalise things if investors were sniffing around. He hasn't exactly hit the ground running but he has plenty of experience and I don't think we could get any better in our position so on paper a very good appointment. He loves the club and has history here so I like that.

Let's hope we can do something in January and push on. It'll still be a long old season but the aim is now to avoid the drop. If we can do that maybe we can build for next season.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’m sure Nigel won’t want a relegation on his CV so must have been given some assurances about January. However we already have a squad of 31 players and you would assume we really need to offload some deadwood before bringing more in.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I’m sure Nigel won’t want a relegation on his CV so must have been given some assurances about January. However we already have a squad of 31 players and you would assume we really need to offload some deadwood before bringing more in.
Offloading some of them will be difficult, Pike and the 3 young lads who signed together are on short term deals, Norris may return to Liverpool, I would hope we can keep Apter but the likes of Hughes, Hockenhull who don't get a look in are still under contract so be harder to move

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Of course it all means the same coaches and voices, the same ‘team behind the team’ that Dawes had. I was hoping we’d get a completely fresh coaching team in but obviously that costs money.

I think we’ve lost 5 in a row in all competitions so Nigel has done well out of it getting a 2.5 year deal. Would be interested if Palios spoke to anyone else but unlikely.
Adkins has worked in the Championship level, clubs if not in that league, his package starts at £250k pa going upwards. We haven't paid anything approaching that. Nigel has decided he is happy to work with us at a huge discount. No one else could compete with this deal.
People cite results ignoring the fact they are not his players, over time he will change the squad and coaches if necessary. Trip to the Moon was done in a day

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I don't think we should get too hung up on what a manager did a decade or more ago in vastly different circumstances. Mickey Adams had worked in the Premier League / Championship in the relatively recent past, but was on a downward spiral by the time he arrived here.

Let us hope that is not the case with Adkins and he can turn things round.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Good luck to NA.
I feel he is gonna need it!

I will await how this pans out before adding to the immediate discussion.
I have so many questions that is not fair at this time.
We will see.