• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Next TRFC Manager

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
So now MJ has gone, who do people think should take on the challenge of getting this talented squad to start playing to its potential and move us in the right direction?

Skybet odds are currently:

Nigel Adkins - 11/10
Graham Alexander - 6/1
Sol Campbell - 6/1
John McGreal - 6/1
Anthony Barry - 6/1
SImon Grayson - 12/1
Danny Cowley - 14/1
Luis Milla -14/1
Paul Cook - 14/1
Robbie Fowler - 14/ 1

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
What do people think of somebody like Adkins just till the end this season, as that the most likely way get a bigger name

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
What do people think of somebody like Adkins just till the end this season, as that the most likely way get a bigger name
I'd be happy with that. As I said on the other thread we need somebody with experience whilst avoiding anybody who just wants the pay cheque. I think Adkins association with the Club and Mark would ensure commitment.

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
You would think that he would be capable at this level however his career hasnt been going in the right direction for a number of years now.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I like Adkins, seems to have a bit of personality and positivity about him.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I'd be happy with that. As I said on the other thread we need somebody with experience whilst avoiding anybody who just wants the pay cheque. I think Adkins association with the Club and Mark would ensure commitment.
I think he did OK in his last job at Hull, so would not be in the Adams mould of somebody definitely on the way down.

It seems he is our first choice and it would be a coup if we could get him.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Adkins remains the favourite and the first choice of many of the SWA. Personally I’d prefer Cook but would be happy with Adkins instead of the usual names banded about like Fowler, Ince

Player
Manager
John King
There is an element of risk with Adkins because he has not managed in the bottom two divisions for a decade, has never managed in League Two and has been out of the game for a few months. However, there is risk with any appointment.

Personally, I would be buzzing if he joined. He is one those managers, like Coppell and a few others, who I always hoped would manage us, but could never envisage the circumstances when he would actually take the job.

Player
Jonny Morrisey
Think it's fair to say that I'd be indifferent if Adkins was appointed. I get that he would be a steady pair of hands for the remainder of the season, I'd just be a little bit concerned that his best days are behind him and he's out of touch in L2. Personally, Cook and Cowley would be top of the list if we could get them......even for the remainder of the season aswell!

Player
Manager
John King
I just don't think Cook or the Cowleys are realistic. They have proved themselves at this level some time ago and will hold out for a Championship or top League One club.

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
Unless Cowley fancies another 'project' then I doubt he would come. That said, under MP's stewardship we are certainly an attractive proposition for a forward thinking manager who wants to make a name, or another who wants to rebuild their reputation.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Think it's fair to say that I'd be indifferent if Adkins was appointed. I get that he would be a steady pair of hands for the remainder of the season, I'd just be a little bit concerned that his best days are behind him and he's out of touch in L2. Personally, Cook and Cowley would be top of the list if we could get them......even for the remainder of the season aswell!
Cook is way out of our price range, he was on a fortune at Wigan & can afford to take his time for his next job which will be higher than league 2.

Cowley will also get a job at a higher level than we are currently at.

I will be very happy if we manage to get Adkins in, quality manager who should be able to get the best out of the squad even if he not managed at this level.

Player
Jonny Morrisey
Cook is way out of our price range, he was on a fortune at Wigan & can afford to take his time for his next job which will be higher than league 2.

Cowley will also get a job at a higher level than we are currently at.

I will be very happy if we manage to get Adkins in, quality manager who should be able to get the best out of the squad even if he not managed at this level.
I'll stand to be corrected Big Mart!

drwhoman

The bottom line is someone who will get a grip of the squad and who will put us on an upward trajectory for the rest of the season. Maybe Adkins is the man!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I share the concerns of White Squaddie in some respects. I could be wrong but Adkins recent knowledge of league 2 may not be too extensive and some might argue someone like Keith Hill would be better suited as he’s had a lot of success at this level with Rochdale. Adkins got a lot of plaudits having two promotions in a row with Southampton from league 1 to the prem but they were massive at those levels and always likely to go up

but as RLC says every manager is a risk and if Adkins was until only the end of the season then it gives us some flexibility although if he did a Micky Adam’s then that would be a nightmare. If Adkins started poorly at what point would Palios have to do something about it?

Player
Manager
John King
Adkins did of course cut his teeth at Scunthorpe, winning two promotions from League One, so he does have knowledge of managing a smaller club, albeit a few years ago now. You could also argue that his lack of knowledge of League Two is not an issue in terms of squad building, given that he inherits decent players and there won't be much room for manouevre in January.

I can't imagine the appointment going as badly wrong as the Adams one did. They are very different characters and Adkins would have more of an emotional investment here, due to his ties with Palios and the club. He is also still relatively young. I can imagine an average season, but not a catastrophic one (could be famous last words).

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
You could also argue that his lack of knowledge of League Two is not an issue in terms of squad building, given that he inherits decent players and there won't be much room for manouevre in January.
This would be my argument. I don't think we need to get too hung up on whether he's managed in division two or not. What we need is a manager who can get the best out of the players as we know we have a decent squad. We need someone positive with good ideas and a good style of play. After the last few months, I'd say that's more important than anything. If we can get a decent system in place, get the players working hard for the shirt and the manager, we can still turn this season around.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Spot on RLC and Ian. We must be close to/ at the budget cap already (though I know the players still here from from last season have their L1 wages averaged to L2 levels) but even if we aren't at the cap with no crowds and Covid then MP will not be spending any more anyhow.
So if it is an interim appointment as has been discussed "all" he has to do is is to get this squad playing proper football with decent tactics. He would fit the bell in that regard for sure. We can then worry about next season when we know if we have been promoted or not!!