• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2019-20

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
He worked very hard and played very well today.
Great to hear and so he should.
He is an offensive player with great skill for sure, but it is not an excuse to go missing in terms of putting a shift in when the chips are down. It is a relegation fight. Fight has got to be a core function as well as their key skills.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Great to hear and so he should.
He is an offensive player with great skill for sure, but it is not an excuse to go missing in terms of putting a shift in when the chips are down. It is a relegation fight. Fight has got to be a core function as well as their key skills.
I think it is generally accepted that young players are inconsistent and are not going to produce convincing performances every week, with or without the ball. If they are not shown patience and given the opportunity to make errors, they could never be blooded in the first place.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Until recently, Rovers have always had one or two youngsters in the team and a few local lads who have come up through the youth programme. For various reasons, this flow has stopped in recent years, so we have been used to seeing "the finished product". Personally, I'd rather watch a youngster with potential than a player at his peak who is not quite good enough. We have had too many of the latter in recent years.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think you have to expect that a little with the younger players @Higgy . They are still developing and learning the game. That’s the risk you take when you play them.

There is a 15 year gap between the youngest and oldest players in the squad and their attitudes/mind sets are going to be different. He has great potential though.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I was never totally convinced by Luke. He never stood out although players in their position rarely in protecting the back 4.

so when fit in centre mid we have perks, Danns, banks, Gilmour, Woodyard and now Luke plus anyone I’ve forgotten. Given Woodyard I’m a bit surprised we signed Luke but on non contract terms I guess it costs us very little if anything.

apparently he is available for leicester game tomorrow

Player
Manager
John King
I think McCullough did a great job defensively for us last season, but I agree that we he was not fantastic on the ball. I would say he looked poorer technically than Perkins, who at times has looked average at this level himself (partly due to age of course).

However, Luke has played over 100 games at Championship and League One level, so he maybe he is someone that will blossom in League One, similar to Morris.

It is still good to have another option and, as Sparky says, the financial risk to Rovers is minimal.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Like Sparky, I have some reservations about Luke. He was decent at protecting the back four but didn't always make the best use of the ball thereafter. Agree with both Sparky and RLC that it's a fairly low risk signing. Luke can also play in central defence, though not deployed there for Rovers.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I wouldn't be surprised if potter was to leave shortly

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
I think it is generally accepted that young players are inconsistent and are not going to produce convincing performances every week, with or without the ball. If they are not shown patience and given the opportunity to make errors, they could never be blooded in the first place.
He has undoubted skill so let's hope he acquires the required attitude quickly.
MM and the fans will have to show bravery to have patience in the middle of a relegation fight.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Wow … Posh have signed Jack Taylor from Barnet for £500k rising to £1m. It used to be Third Division North and South, now it's EFL1 Rich and Poor (or Stupid and Sane!).

Player
aldo
the big issue is that fkn pitch with the weather supposed to be turning bad again its going to be even more fkd than it already is

Player
aldo
can see games being called off if there not care full . Rochdale had the same probs a few years ago it cost around £250k to re turf the game it was when they played spures in the cup

ADD

Player
Norwood
can see games being called off if there not care full . Rochdale had the same probs a few years ago it cost around £250k to re turf the game it was when they played spures in the cup
Clearly a returf would help short term but it is quite clear that the drains/surface have gone.... all we appear to have done in past 3 or 4 years is strip off top couple of inches lay a bit more rootzone and reseed. That means that below the top 2 or 3 inches the surface has become more and more compact. Needs to be properly dug out in close season and proper drains laid that will take the water well away from the pitch

Player
Manager
John King
With the amount of rain we are now receiving every winter and the location of the ground in a natural valley, the required improvements would probably cost an absolute fortune and might not completely solve the problem. Probably one of the reasons a new ground appears attractive to the owners.

Player
ian goodison
steward in the jk stand says the problems on that side of the pitch are down to the drainage system and have been for ages