• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Newport

Match Result

• Tranmere

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Newport

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Newport
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, March 18, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, March 18, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The interview is quite a painful watch, Micky looks and sounds a beaten man.
He didn’t really have the words. He’s obviously being careful what he says because as critical as he wants to be, he has to work with these players on Monday morning and try and lift their spirits.

The other issue is how much this sort of atmosphere around the club could impact on players staying. Cogley will certainly go but the likes of davies and merrie are out of contract. Couldn’t blame them for thinking of leaving

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
The supporters are fine what fucking planet is he on sorry for the bad Language but what utter shit he is chatting

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Indeed. I've never seen Micky look or sound so low. I wonder what his players are thinking if they watch it. How is he going to lift them next Saturday?

I hope he stays, but he may agree a parting of the ways with Mark. Certainly, if he survives this weekend, he will probably last the season.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Sorry all had a hard day taking my frustration out on this and got over 100 in tomorrow nightall

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Indeed. I've never seen Micky look or sound so low. I wonder what his players are thinking if they watch it. How is he going to lift them next Saturday?

I hope he stays, but he may agree a parting of the ways with Mark. Certainly, if he survives this weekend, he will probably last the season.
If he's not going to be here next season then he should go now, try to get new man in assess the squad over the remaining games and make decisions.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The commentary suggested that we had a good spell of possession in the early part of the game, but were too toothless to take advantage. Newport went ahead with their first attack of any note and we never looked like getting back into it. Looking at the brief highlights, all three goals conceded were down to poor defending, as were both at Gillingham last weekend. When we've no attack to speak of, then defensive errors prove fatal to us taking anything from the game.

I agree with bigmart's point above. If Micky isn't going to be around next season, then the sooner his replacement is in post the better.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
If he's not going to be here next season then he should go now, try to get new man in assess the squad over the remaining games and make decisions.
If we have not got a replacement lined up, there is no point making a change.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
For some reason Rovers floodlights went off early tonight!!!!

Player
ian goodison
over the years we have had our fair share of bad managers/players/tactics/ performances but when they all turn up on the same day it,s pitiful to watch, I actually felt sorry for burton today up against a seasoned pro like Demetriou, at the moment there is no direction at the club, the remaining games until the end of the season are going to be hard to stomach.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
To be honest, I actually felt more sorry today for players like Turnbull, Cogley, Bristow, Hawkes, Merrie and Hendry who are good enough, but are being held back by the dross that is ahead of them.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
To be honest, I actually felt more sorry today for players like Turnbull, Cogley, Bristow, Hawkes, Merrie and Hendry who are good enough, but are being held back by the dross that is ahead of them.
I thought similar and how at times we played some half decent football during the game. However we’re so bad at the top end of the pitch it’s undoubtedly having an impact on the rest of the squad.
We do have some good players in the squad and it wasn’t too long ago that PP was rocking after we beat the likes of Orient and Salford.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The other issue is how much this sort of atmosphere around the club could impact on players staying. Cogley will certainly go but the likes of davies and merrie are out of contract. Couldn’t blame them for thinking of leaving.
I agree. In previous seasons, we have often managed to extend some players' contracts in mid-season. The fact that Cogley hasn't renewed is not surprising, but I would have expected Merrie and possibly Davies to have been offered new terms and accepted them. Most of the other senior pros are contracted for next season. The uncertainty over who will be in charge next season will be a factor, I am sure.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes but when you have a team that does not have the quality and he knows it but cannot state the obvious on TV, it must be highly frustrating. You can see he almost wants to let rip..

Sorry to have to keep banging the same drum but it does not matter who is in charge of these players, they won't improve because they aren't good enough. Getting rid of Micky is highly counter productive in this situation. I think we would actually be taking further steps back.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Today was disappointing but bear in mind that we have key players missing and we are down to bare bones as a squad. Not that it seems to matter too much in terms of the "should he stay or should he go" rhetoric; we were the better footballing team today but toothless and weak defensively. I think, in hindsight, O'Connor's omission was a mistake but a more attacking midfield was a popular choice. Despite the irony of the mom Mumbongo did, at least, look like a striker. It was actually difficult to pick out anybody who played particularly badly so God knows where we go from here.

Reactions: Boz

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I agree. In previous seasons, we have often managed to extend some players' contracts in mid-season. The fact that Cogley hasn't renewed is not surprising, but I would have expected Merrie and possibly Davies to have been offered new terms and accepted them. Most of the other senior pros are contracted for next season. The uncertainty over who will be in charge next season will be a factor, I am sure.
The way the club is being run is poor, the lack of forward planning is not helping the situation, change is needed on and off the pitch.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
The way the club is being run is poor, the lack of forward planning is not helping the situation, change is needed on and off the pitch.
The change required to solve a specific problem, may have been made months ago whilst the problem is still most apparent.
Recruitment involved the contracting of youth players four midfielders and a striker. It then went into this spin to win tactic of picking up released youth players from further up the pyramid, two more midfielders and a centre half. Add to them the legacy of previous similar strategies a keeper who took a circuitous route from Everton, and Jolley.
Burton is now 22 the only home bred survivor and it is still arguable he will even make it in a professional career, given his predecessors of recent seasons, this bodes badly for the five players who remained out on loan when the bench became unoccupied.
The four speculative signings, excluding the success of Bristow, also remained out on loan with just Hughes being recalled eventually. The defender has stayed out when cover for his position has been bare boned for weeks.
The summer saw a popular full back, a journeyman midfielder, and a resolutely accomplished centre half arrive- nothing else of much use.
The secondary tactic of signing broken people has been underwhelming in the shape of Jamieson, Nolan, Mumbungo and has added next to nothing. As have the endless loans except the Soton guy who got promoted up. In fact apart from loans with a view to signing, O'Connor, Doohan and Hawkes- the tactic has been an epic fail over many seasons.
Finally a speculative signing of promise, Nevitt failed possibly through over exposure due to circumstances and has just been replaced with Saunders who is quicker at producing very little.
Looking purely internally Tranmere need a second team as Crewe have two, so players are near to hand. The midfield four are bar one all turning twenty, clearly this is another example of hoarding. History shows just one making it would buck the trend.
Tranmere are mid-table, the above reeks of mid-table at best. I honestly think Mellon has done well to achieve as much as he has done this year. The current side is clearly struggling due to circumstances, although some would say they could be predicted due to players' injury records- let's not go deeper.
Under the current circumstances you probably need a bit of luck to mount a promotion challenge, Tranmere are in no position to sign a robust squad capable of getting promotion. However it seems plans cooked up above Mellon were badly conceived and lacking in any kind of focus. Signing players on two years to loan them out for the first year in semi-pro world cannot be any kind of plan.

Player
ian goodison
knee jerk reaction is sack the manager but how much responsibility should palios and Vaughan take regarding going down the development of young players bearing in mind that has never been MM,s style, I know micky picks the team/tactics but would be interesting to know whether the signings are actually HIS choices, looking at the financial constraints at the club I doubt any half decent manager would touch us, part of me feels micky is being hung out to dry,

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The Mumbongo MOTM was quite frankly a joke yesterday. I hope that is a wake up call to MP so we do not have to endure another season of this rubbish.