• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Newport

Match Result

• Tranmere

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Newport

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Newport
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, March 18, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, March 18, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Next up we have a home game v Newport. The visitors have had a poor season sitting 18th in the table and are winless in their last 5 games, drawing the last 3 and losing the two before that.

Their actual away record isn’t too bad and they’ve picked up more points on the road than at Rodney Parade. Graham Coughlan took over the reins in October 2022 when they were in 19th place so there hasn’t been any real improvement.

In their squad they have ex rovers youngster Declan Drysdale along with Omar Bogle who can be a handful. Other decent names at this level are ex Mansfield man Harry Charsley (Wirral born), and ex Morecambe Aaron Wildig. They do have plenty of experience in their group and unfortunately we’ll be missing a lot of ours.I’m assuming that none of Walker, Lewis, Hemmings or Morris will return. Davies had a calf injury so who knows if he’ll be available

With the injuries there isn’t much Micky can do with the squad. As we’re at home I’d prefer see Turner Cooke on the right so we’ve got as much attacking talent on the pitch as we can. Obviously Saunders will start but Burton may be dropped for Mumbongo. Jameson likely to start again if Davies still injured.

Prediction: a low scoring draw for me.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Davies is back in training so should be available for Saturday, think be a draw 1 1

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm going to keep banging on until he scores so let's go for a comfy 2-0 win, Saunders getting a brace!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Think we’ve only beaten Newport once, Wembley aside, since our return to the FL. The Exiles are a bit below us in the table and probably need a handful more points to guarantee L2 safety.

It sounds like Tom Davies will be back for Rovers, which would be good news. Think the only other absentee mentioned was Hemmings, likely to return to training next week. Bit concerning about Morris who was about to resume training but had a set-back a couple of weeks ago.

None of the forwards enhanced their reputation at Gillingham. Wonder if it’s worth trying a 451, with the wide players, ideally Hawkes and Turner-Cooke pushing up to support Saunders up front.

All outcomes are possible but it won’t be a goalfest!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I know the sometimes dull pre match interviews aren’t mickys fault, after all he can only answer the questions he is asked.
However it would have been interesting if he could have commented on is it worth bringing mcalear or hughes back for the last ten games? To give them a run of games as they’ll likely be around next season. Hughes has actually come back but I hope for his sake he’s not just on the bench for a couple of games and then disappears

Or even ask him about contracts in general. When do we start thinking about them or is it too early?

I’d just like to know that’s all. Appreciate Micky may not be able to say too much but it’s worth asking

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The return of Davies should at least give us some solidity at the back, and we will hopefully avoid the daft errors we made last week.

I think we might change formation for this game. Saunders and Burton were completely ineffective as a front pairing at Gillingham and the recall of Rhys Hughes does give us another option. Will we play Hughes wide, potentially in a five man midfield, with Hendry or Merrie just behind Saunders ? We will see.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I never thought about a change in formation but it’s a valid point that given we don’t have any fit strikers who can score, it may be worth going with 5 in midfield albeit some may think that it could be negative when we’re at home against 18th place Newport.
Could even try hawkes behind Saunders and place Hughes on the left. We have other wide options with the two loanees but we’ll see tomorrow

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I definately think we need to change something in the squad. We know what playing Saunders and co will produce so try something different. I don't think playing five in the midfield is a bad shout. Henry would be much more effective further up the pitch and is currently getting dragged too far back and is getting swallowed into a midfield battle which I don't think is his strong suit. Merrie is better at this. Give Saunders something to work with, hopefully some better final balls and see where it gets us.

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
I’m expecting a pretty drab affair today (have we ever been in an exciting game with Newport; excluding Connor’s header that is!!); set the bar low then there’s more chance of being pleasantly surprised! I’ll take a punt on scraping a 1-0 victory and still plenty of grumbles; there’s just no pleasing us :D

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Well as usual I have a party to do so I will be keeping tabs on it just for once can we have a Rover's game that is frilling and exciting but no it's melons rovers and they are non of that just boring

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Wonder if Hughes’ recall means straight into the first team. Might also be an indicator Morris is some way off returning.

I agree 451 is probably our best option switching to more of a 433 when we attack

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Thats what I am getting at if the football was good and entertaining more would go not many will wanna shell £25 to watch shit

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
6k is fine. We were sometimes getting less than that in league one.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Davies back in and captains the side. Chalmers starts with merrie and hendry in the middle. The two little fellas up front again.

Only 5 on the bench once again

• Wow
Reactions: Ian

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Another strange line-up from Micky. Chalmers starting is the big surprise, with O’Connor dropping to the bench, while in better news Tom Davies returns at the back. Neither Jameson or Fisher on the bench, presume ill/injured. To my mind both Hughes and Turner-Cooke have looked better than Chalmers so puzzled that Micky sees things so different. Inclining towards an away win now.