• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Newport

Match Result

• Tranmere

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Newport

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Newport
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, March 18, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, March 18, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Not a great to sell season tickets this sort of showing
The majority are hardcore fans like all clubs. Newport have never looked up since Wembley, fanbase is sound and they have been in this position for months- going nowhere.
Not suggesting anything would be better, but it is becoming very clear referring is completely different to the televised version. Saunders had two hands put on his chest and he went to ground in the box, no way would VAR would let that go. Defenders just kick lumps out of attackers and the officials just ignore it, doesn't add to the minimal entertainment either

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
The entertainment we have had in last seasons was when them 2 had the team I could do better than this team

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The majority are hardcore fans like all clubs. Newport have never looked up since Wembley, fanbase is sound and they have been in this position for months- going nowhere.
Not suggesting anything would be better, but it is becoming very clear referring is completely different to the televised version. Saunders had two hands put on his chest and he went to ground in the box, no way would VAR would let that go. Defenders just kick lumps out of attackers and the officials just ignore it, doesn't add to the minimal entertainment either
Really not sure we can focus on refereeing issues as one of our problems

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A bit better and mumbongo doing ok holding it up but still not testing their keeper

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Absolutely pathetic, too angry to say much more

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Dissatisfied from Tranmere!

Just a bad day all round.
Sometimes, you just have to admit, we were awful and they took full advantage!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Well I knew it wouldn’t be easy today, but I never thought we‘d lose 1-3.

Yes we’re missing the likes of Hemings, Morris and Lewis but defensively we were really poor. We started ok but it was the usual sort of thing. Some nice passing but no end product and the two quick goals they scored effectively ended the contest.

Second half we huffed and puffed but again their keeper had nothing difficult to do. The third goal started a mass exodus with ten minutes to go and even our consolation was a skewed cross from hendry which their defender put into his own net.

The atmosphere was really toxic and I’m not sure micky can survive. Yes we’re missing players but once again our recruitment in attacking areas let us down. Saunders looks lost, Burton out of his depth. Mumbongo to be fair linked up well but it’s really depressing watching us.
To be fair at times we played some good football, hendry linking up well with bristow and merrie, but just zero end product. The cheers at the end when mumbongo got MOM show most of our fans think we’re a laughing stock. I bet Newport couldn’t believe they scored three goals.

i‘m clutching at straws but I thought Hughes looked sharp. Apart from that I cant think of anything positive.

I love Micky, I really do….for those three trips to Wembley. But I’m starting to think his time is up…..not only because of the results and performances, but the general atmosphere

Last edited:
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think it was a performance that summed up where we are as a club at the moment, in terms of the inadequacies in the playing staff.

We actually started the game well and were the brighter side for the first twenty five minutes. There was a lot of nice approach play and I thought Chalmers was looking sharp and having his best game for us, with Hendry and Merrie also doing well. However, there was again absolutely zero goal threat from the strikers when the ball was crossed from wide or was fed into the box, and we are so powder-puff up front we are always vulnerable to the sucker punch. Newport scored from their first effort on goal, we defended poorly from a set play for the second shortly afterwards, and even at such an early stage of the game we were never going to get back into the match given the lack of goals in the side.

At risk of repeating myself, a forward line of Saunders, Burton and Mumbongo is never, ever going to be good enough at this level of football. Our striking options are an embarrassment. In the first two thirds of the pitch we are actually fine, generally defensively solid (not today) and with some decent players in midfield, but the striking options are completely inadequate. With Hemmings and Morris in the side we can just about cover those deficiencies, but without them we are hopeless in the final third.

In fairness to the players, there was no lack of effort in the second half and heads did not go down. Hughes did quite well when he came on and I thought Hendry actually deserved his consolation.

However, until the recruitment at the club improves, and we have decent options in all areas of the team, results will not improve. Changing the manager won't turn the strikers on the pitch today into footballers.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Rumours elsewhere that MM has gone and press release expected tonight.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
That was awful. The players are simply not good enough.