• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Next TRFC Manager

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Ultimately, you just don't know with managers. We could appoint Dawes I would imagine on a fairly small wage and he might be a success. You could appoint someone a lot more expensive and he could be a flop.

However, I actually think coming into this squad is a massive boost for a manager as has been mentioned before, we have a strong squad this season and if you let them play, they will reward you as we have seen under Dawes.

Whoever MP appoints will have failed massively if they cannot get this squad winning games regularly.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Would a McGreal or Challinor type candidate have been on bigger wages than Jackson if they had been appointed ? I think the difference would have been marginal and the playing budget would not have been significantly affected either way.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Hard to say, though McGreal a proven manager at L2 level would probably have cost more in wages than Challinor. However the throw-in king was in post at Hartlepool, so compensation to pay.

drwhoman

The longer it goes and the more games they win under Dawes then he might get the nod for the season. Saturday is a should win game so we will see!

Alun

Player
Eddie Dagger Roberts
For what it is worth Paul Ince has come back down in the betting and is know even money fav with BetVictor , 2/1 with sky and 7/2 with hills, Danny Cowley, has gone out slightly, but now 3/1 with BetVictor and Ian Dawes is now 5 or 6/1. I know it does not mean a lot but interesting seeing the odds fluctuating

Player
Jonny Morrisey
Come on MP, the suspense is killing me! You do not know (you could probably hazard a guess) at how underwhelmed I would be with the appointment of Paul Ince.....I would much rather we give Dawes a chance if that's the case! The longer it goes on, the more I fell thats the way its going to go....

Alun

Player
Eddie Dagger Roberts
According to the bookies Paul Hirst now getting backed, someone must have had a punt on him.

ADD

Player
Norwood
According to the bookies Paul Hirst now getting backed, someone must have had a punt on him.
He and Karl Robinson being mentioned on another forum....suggestion also that Hurst was approached before MM got the job...

Player
Manager
John King
I would be happy with either of those two, although they have both had failures and would carry some risk.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
He and Karl Robinson being mentioned on another forum....suggestion also that Hurst was approached before MM got the job...
I saw Steve Evans had a decent price the other day - shoot me now!

• Haha
Reactions: Ian

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’m not sure about Hurst. Think he took Grimsby out of the national league but no real success after that.

On balance I’d prefer to keep Dawes

karl Robinson hasn’t been sacked by Oxford yet has he? Did well at MK Dons and a local lad.

Player
Manager
John King
Hurst almost took Shrewsbury into the Championship on a small budget as well, and the clubs he failed at (Ipswich and Scunny) were on the slide before he took over. However, he is a Marmite character and does not always get on with supporters.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The thing is, are we looking for the perfect manager? We know one doesn't exist so whoever comes in will have his flaws or will have failed somewhere.. We just have to hope he bonds well with the fans and the squad.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I'm beginning to think Dawes is a better risk than most of these names if just for this season.

Good point BBTC. What is the harm in giving him it until end of the season? Ok I guess the likes of cook and Cowley’s may not be available then if we needed someone new but there would still be plenty of interest.

drwhoman

I'm beginning to think Dawes is a better risk than most of these names if just for this season.
Exactly my view BBTC. The result on Saturday might prove me wrong. What do I know 10k miles away (!) but if Dawes has the backing of a decent squad then he and they will go ok. Makes most sense financially as well.