• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Next TRFC Manager

drwhoman

It is also worth observing that Dawes is local as are his senior players - Clarke, Spearing, Vaughan and several of the others. In fact, three of the four seniors were at Everton, Clarke at much the same time as Dawes so there will be definitely be a local feeling element which is probably a benefit but which might be lost if an outsider or outsiders were brought in from the south. No doubt they would want removal expenses, help with schools etc as well.
However, I could be talking rubbish and we can be wait and see what M and P do!

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I think that there is an assumption that we can click our fingers and have a new manager within place in days if we so choose. From my experience this is never the case for any senior appointment if the appropriate diligence is completed. We don't know how far down the line MP is with this process; all we know is that there will have been a process. Say we are close to an appointment, which may well be the case, and Mark puts the process on hold to give Dawes a few more games. We lose a few, and Dawes can't turn it around, what chance of us then bagging one of our first choices? Not only does any recruitment that was in the pipeline become unlikely, but MP's credibility takes a hit making it even harder to recruit a preferred candidate.

There may be an offer, or even offers, already made and currently being considered.

It is impossible to say that Dawes ISN'T the right candidate but, as mentioned above, he is a rookie and we don't know how he will deal with a losing run, how he copes when the pressure is on, whether he is able to recruit players, build a squad etc. etc. His is doing a great job at the moment but my preference would still be a proven and experienced manager. IF we are looking at Cowleys, a Cook or an Adkins then I don't think our current winning streak should derail this.

I think that Paisley had been at Liverpool a little longer than Dawes had been at Rovers and he was a major part of the legendary Boot Room. Managing Liverpool then was a lot more predictable than Rovers nowadays. Recruitment was 2 or 3 a year, not an annual overhaul and there was a certain predictability of league status and revenues.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I cannot see that there is any rush to take a decision to make an outside appointment now. Dawes, who has done well, would have to be paid out, and the players might feel that he has been treated harshly. They seem willing to play for him unlike Jacko. See what happens. Just leave Dawes as acting Manager for now and then if things go pear shaped take action. There is no guarantee that the Cowleys would succeed. They would not be cheap and would not accept the retention of Daves. They might also want to restructure the squad at a time when we have no crowd income. I am not sure how that would work. I remember it being said that Bob Paisley was inexperienced when he took over at Liverpool!
The problem with that is that if we leave it a while as it is & it goes wrong, the candidates may not be not upto much.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Four, five or six matches is a very small sample of games on which to base a decision, however promising the performances have been.
Totally agree. Remember Solskjaer. He had a long unbeaten run as caretaker. Then after Man U gave him a long-term contract, results were awful for a while. I think the best we should offer Ian Dawes is to extend to the end of the season, then decide on his future in the new year.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The problem with that is that if we leave it a while as it is & it goes wrong, the candidates may not be not upto much.
I'm not bothered. As some candidates get other jobs, more come onto the job market. There are always people available. It's just a question of choosing the right one, persuading him to come - and crossing your fingers!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think the bigger issue, that Mart is implying, is that the squad almost certainly won't be as strong next season. That means we have to get this appointment right or it is a major missed opportunity.

If we are in a position where we have to fire Dawes in a few months, the season will almost certainly have been wasted.

drwhoman

I think the bigger issue, that Mart is implying, is that the squad almost certainly won't be as strong next season. That means we have to get this appointment right or it is a major missed opportunity.

If we are in a position where we have to fire Dawes in a few months, the season will almost certainly have been wasted.
I think that all the above observations are valid and what will happen will happen. I would only reiterate the comment I made above that we have no gate income at present and that to bring someone in completely new would be expensive and that we would have no guarantee that they would be any better than Dawes. There seems to be a good camaraderie in the squad at present possibly reflecting long term familiarity amongst the senior players. It is vital that we do not lose that. We will see!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume

I'm interested why you think that? It's very hard to gauge what sort of players will be available at Rovers L2 salary levels next summer, though we do lose the ability to treat all our players from L1 as L2 average wage for salary cap purposes when their contracts expire.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Having CBT has made one hell of a difference too and surely he’ll be gone next season as out of contract I think.

Player
Manager
John King
I'm interested why you think that? It's very hard to gauge what sort of players will be available at Rovers L2 salary levels next summer, though we do lose the ability to treat all our players from L1 as L2 average wage for salary cap purposes when their contracts expire.
As Sparky says, CBT and Monthe will almost certainly be gone, Clarke is close to retirement and Feeney is only here on a one year deal. Plus, I would imagine a lot of our competitors will recover financially, or at least be willing to spend more, having battened down the hatches during Covid.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I accept that we’ll lose some good players in the summer, unless we cash in during the transfer window, if anyone came in with a decent offer for CBT should we take it? Agree that this squad is stronger than the one in L1, though that may partly be down to going for a cheaper manager option in Jackson, which clearly didn’t pay off, enabling funds to be diverted to the playing side. I’m not sure that sides who have being frugal this season will start splashing the cash and the salary cap puts limitations on that anyway. While it’s likely Rovers will have a very different squad starting 2021/2022, I don’t think at this point it’s possible to be sure that it will be significantly weaker, assuming we’re still in L2.

If we’re able to make a marquee signing as next manager, that would be great. Otherwise it’s a hard call whether to go with an experienced journeyman or stick with Dawes and I remain undecided.

Player
Manager
John King
The salary cap is not really an issue in terms of relative squad quality, as it applies to us as much as any other club and the wages of the players we had in League One will count fully towards our salary total next season.

I still think it is reasonable to assume the financial gap between ourselves and the rest will narrow next season, and we also have no idea how effective the new manager will be at recruiting. Whatever his other shortcomings, Jackson left us with a well balanced squad which is partly the result of his decision making, not just finances.

We have an unusually good squad this season by our historic standards.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
All of our L1 players would be out of contract anyway by next summer so if they re-sign it will be at the going rate for whichever league we’re in.

Agree that on the whole Jackson’s recruiting was good, though Dawes may have had some input with the Blackpool loanees. There are a couple who the jury’s still out on, while the only departing player I’d liked to have kept, Connor Jennings, may have gone regardless. However you’d expect a marquee manager to be capable of building a decent squad on whatever budget is given.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I'd like a marquee Manager AND a marquee Assistant Manger, or would that be too tense?

• Haha
Reactions: Boz
Player
Manager
John King
All of our L1 players would be out of contract anyway by next summer so if they re-sign it will be at the going rate for whichever league we’re in.

Agree that on the whole Jackson’s recruiting was good, though Dawes may have had some input with the Blackpool loanees. There are a couple who the jury’s still out on, while the only departing player I’d liked to have kept, Connor Jennings, may have gone regardless. However you’d expect a marquee manager to be capable of building a decent squad on whatever budget is given.
The going rate for players that came down with us from League One might be higher than we can afford while staying within the cap. The current rules have allowed us to keep hold of the better players from last season on decent wages while not infringing the cap.

It is unlikely we will be able to do the same next season with CBT, Monthe, Ferrier (who I don't rate, but the point stands) and co.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We've had some right ones over the years haven't we. Let's hope MP gets this one right.

drwhoman

We've had some right ones over the years haven't we. Let's hope MP gets this one right.
I agree Ian but money has to be an issue. We have no gate money so who is going to pay for the marquee Manager? We cannot expect the owners to continue digging in their pockets. Dawes until the end of the season seems far more practical.

Player
aldo
Well one thing for sure they have been given the time with the last 4 games, I still think nothing is going to be done till after Saturday. get hammered then it will be done, win again then I think Mp won't have a choice, one question is when was the last time we had a caretaker manager with such a good record. even Parry didn't,t have as good a start