• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Next TRFC Manager

ADD

Player
Norwood
Just a thought for those who were still in favour of giving more time to Jackson before he got sacked safe in the knowledge we couldn't get relegated due to Scunny and Southend being so rubbish Scunny have won again last night (against Vale) and are now out of the relegation zone only 5 points behind us with 2 games in hand and on PPG would be 20th...

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Just a thought for those who were still in favour of giving more time to Jackson before he got sacked safe in the knowledge we couldn't get relegated due to Scunny and Southend being so rubbish Scunny have won again last night (against Vale) and are now out of the relegation zone only 5 points behind us with 2 games in hand and on PPG would be 20th...
But there is no sign of the season being ended early so PPG is irrelevant & in fact crowds could be back in some hrounds next month. I'm not sure many on here thought he should be given more time just that it was a sad way for it to end for such a good servant

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I can't imagine
Just a thought for those who were still in favour of giving more time to Jackson
That must have been 0.000000000000001% of the supporters then! :D

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
There area couple of things that we dont know.
1. Does Dawes want the job permanently?
2. What has MP said to Dawes? Has he told him that it will only be interim, or has he left the door open depending on how he performs as interim?

As well as we are doing, i dont think Dawes is the answer long term as it will be another risk like Jacko was. The squad we have should be capable of beating a lot of the teams in the league, and now that the shackles are off that is happening. It was clear to me that the players really didnt like the style of play and strategy that Jack was applying, and they now look like a different team. I think with a top drawer (at this level) Manager in charge this group could perform even better, and the key thing will be when the going gets a bit tough, thats when good Managers prove their worth.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
There area couple of things that we dont know.
1. Does Dawes want the job permanently?
2. What has MP said to Dawes? Has he told him that it will only be interim, or has he left the door open depending on how he performs as interim?
I really feel for Dawes at the moment. He has done everything asked of him and more. If he has immediate ambitions to be a manager, fine. If he doesn't or if he feels it's too soon and he turns the job down, he risks being out of work through no fault of his own. I would hate to see him take the job under duress, so I hope he and Mark can have an honest conversation.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’m sure Dawes would want the job. Otherwise someone new gets it and he’s potentially unemployed. He’s been very cagey in interviews, not even admitting he wants the job but as it’s gone well since he’s took it, he’ll deffo want it.

It seems like ages ago that Jacko was sacked (2.5 weeks in fact). And Dawes has another very winnable game on Saturday so MP has to think carefully. Inevitably there will be criticism if either 1. He keeps Dawes and results go downhill or 2. He brings a big name in, Dawes leaves and then results go downhill.

fingers crossed neither of those things happen. I think given the time that it’s taken, none of the likes of Ince, Alexander, Campbell etc will have a chance. I guess it is the bigger names that may mean negotiations are taking longer, coupled with the recent good form meaning less pressure to make a quick decision

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Paul Tisdale is set for the Bristol Rovers job.

He would have been my first choice in the summer, but probably would not have moved north.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Paul Tisdale is set for the Bristol Rovers job.

He would have been my first choice in the summer, but probably would not have

I’d still be interested in Keith hill potentially. But would be a hard decision whether I’d choose him over Dawes and Parky.

Cowley’s still the favourites and you wonder whether the fact that they come as a pair is delaying negotiations

Player
Manager
John King
I think given the time that it’s taken, none of the likes of Ince, Alexander, Campbell etc will have a chance. I guess it is the bigger names that may mean negotiations are taking longer, coupled with the recent good form meaning less pressure to make a quick decision
Yes, I agree.

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
Given the financial prudence with which the club is run and Mark's own admission that finding the right manager requires a certain amount of luck then Dawes has to be a serious contender for the job, I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if he got it. He's arguably as qualified as Jacko was for the job.

drwhoman

I’d still be interested in Keith hill potentially. But would be a hard decision whether I’d choose him over Dawes and Parky.
Cowley’s still the favourites and you wonder whether the fact that they come as a pair is delaying negotiations
Forgive me for asking the question again but who would be paying for these people with no gate income? I know we are a well run club but do we really know what the financial position is? I am not remotely suggesting we are on death's door but people like the Cowleys would not come cheap and would they want to relocate to the north? There would also, presumably,have to be some pay off for Dawes while Parky might take it as a snub? Time will tell as always!

Player
Manager
John King
We received £3 million of investment prior to the pandemic which has put us in a relatively strong position financially. Whether that will enable us to bring in a 'name' manager like Cowley or Cook remains to be seen, but I think it is clear that we were in negotiations with Adkins for some time, so the two parties were clearly not miles apart in terms of the salary level.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Also given the amount of relatively big name L2 signings we’ve made over the last 6 months e.g feeney, spearing, Woolery, Vaughan etc I suspect our finances are in a better position than many clubs. Doesn’t mean we can bring in the Cowley’s of course and the lack of match day tickets sold can’t go on forever but I think we’ll be able to afford someone half decent

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'm not so confident about the finances. The strategy of going for a less experienced manager in Jacko and pumping more money into the squad did not pay off. The current issue with the season tickets and in particular the billing for the 'free' e-programme doesn't suggest an entirely rosy picture.

Player
Manager
John King
I'm not so confident about the finances. The strategy of going for a less experienced manager in Jacko and pumping more money into the squad did not pay off. The current issue with the season tickets and in particular the billing for the 'free' e-programme doesn't suggest an entirely rosy picture.
We won't know whether the owner's strategy has paid off until the end of the season.

Palios stated that more expensive alternatives to Jackson were available in the summer, but they were unattractive candidates for other reasons. I don't think cost was the only factor in his appointment.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We won't know whether the owner's strategy has paid off until the end of the season.

Palios stated that more expensive alternatives to Jackson were available in the summer, but they were unattractive candidates for other reasons. I don't think cost was the only factor in his appointment.
Appointing Jackson didn't pay off as he was out of his depth and had to be sacked. Presume he'll be entitled to some compensation, so more money diverted away from other areas. Dawes would be the cheapest option, but any other manager is likely to be on a bigger wage than Jackson.

Player
Manager
John King
I did not say appointing Jackson was a success, I said it is too early to say whether the substantial investment in the squad will pay off. I am fairly certain we could have afforded a lower league journeyman manager in the summer, and I think your suggestion that we had to appoint Jackson for financial reasons is wrong.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I did not say appointing Jackson was a success, I said it is too early to say whether the substantial investment in the squad will pay off. I am fairly certain we could have afforded a lower league journeyman manager in the summer, and I think your suggestion that we had to appoint Jackson for financial reasons is wrong.
That's not what I suggested though. I had misgivings when Jackson was appointed, but it was worth a try from the chairman's viewpoint on the basis of his work with Micky and knowledge of the squad. As the manager took up a smaller slice of the budget cake, there was more money available for the playing side.