• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

KH sacked

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
1. Mellon
2. Challinor
3. Nobody else appeals

yes this is the issue when you look at who else is in the running. I would be happy with challinor but we’ll have to pay compensation and if Hartlepool make the play off final their season won’t finish until 20th June so even less time to overhaul the squad etc.

whereas Micky will be ready straight away and could hit the ground running (assuming he does leave Dundee today).

As for Dawes he comes across very well and I like the fella, but it would be much more of a risk than the other two, but a cheaper option. Who’d be a chairman eh?!?

Other options at the moment are Fowler, McGreal, Euell, Mark Cooper and others. No thanks

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I doubt that he would want to come back or indeed that MP would have him back given all the apparent shopping around for some time loooking to leave before he did so why would MP be persuaded we would not simply be a port in a storm until something better came along again? Impossible to think and plan longer term on that basis. Would prefer Challinor in any event if he is interested/ affordable given he has a year to go on his contract.
He was here for four years, so we can hardly accuse him of disloyalty. He gave us the only stability we have had in the last decade and in many respects it was the right time to leave after the demotion (not that I wanted him to go).

Going for a couple of interviews towards the end is not really shopping around.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Interesting.. although I still don’t understand why he’s left. Stabilised the club and got another year on his contract. There must be something going on behind the scenes.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes RLC mentioned what I’d heard about their owner wanting his son to join the coaching staff. Plus it seems a proportion of fans felt there was negative football.

If not with us it will be interesting where Micky ends up.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
From BBC Sport

“However, United's style of football under Mellon caused carping among some fans, with critics also pointing towards the lack of game time given to some of the club's younger players”.

Apparently they have some rich American owners who perhaps expected more. Plus I’ve never heard the word carping being used!!

Player
Manager
John King
The ITK poster on another site reckons we have made contact with Mellon. It will be interesting to see what transpires.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Interesting that lack of game time for younger players is mentioned in the Dundee Utd quote, as it was a criticism levelled at MM at Rovers. I’ve no idea what the strength of youth is at Dundee Utd, but there was little evidence of talented youngsters being held back by Micky, sadly we just lacked the quality at youth level anyway.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I would welcome Micky back, if he wants to return and if Mark appoints him. I have not forgotten what he achieved at the club through difficult circumstances. However, I would be surprised if he didn’t want a fresh challenge and may get better offers , particularly in Scotland.

But I can’t help wondering if a young, ambitious manager on the way up, who like Micky knows and loves the club, might fare better. It’s just a feeling. However, although he’s not proved himself infallible, I still trust Mark to make the right call.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
I would like MM to return.
However, we need to move forward and a clear out is needed for a new manager regardless of who it is.
The budget and wages will be a part of who we can afford.
It will be interesting.

drwhoman

An early appointment would help in deciding who to keep and who to try and sign. YOu would think that MM Would be a safe choice being a known quantity. The DU owners obviously have false expectations as to what can be achieved in Scotland. DU finished 9th in a 12 team league, one point less than the team that finished 5th! Personal factors might also have been an issue of course. Have Mickey’s family settled in an east Scottish town etc. He has spent much of the last few years down south? Anyway, who knows. Maybe he will do a Johnny King!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Strong rumours doing the rounds Dawes get the job, disappointing if true

Player
Manager
John King
Strong rumours doing the rounds Dawes get the job, disappointing if true
If he gets the job I will back him. However, it smacks of another gamble and it could go the same way as the Jacko appointment.

It certainly suggests we are not willing to fork out for a manager, which is strange given the levels of investment elsewhere at the club.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
If he gets the job I will back him. However, it smacks of another gamble and it could go the same way as the Jacko appointment.

It certainly suggests we are not willing to fork out for a manager, which is strange given the levels of investment elsewhere at the club.
Certainly smacks of the cheap option again and if true there will be plenty of spin involved

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Would back Dawes but surely Palios won’t take the risk?? Although it was only a couple of games v Morecambe, we conceded two soft goals at home not reacting to second balls and weren’t good enough to break them down and score more than one in each game.

McGreal has just got the Swindon job so apart from Challinor and Mellon I’m not sure who else there is without taking a punt on someone. So Dawes does make some sense if Micky and Challinor aren’t available but it won’t go down well with some fans

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Dawes wasn't right for the job after Jacko left if it is him why is he suddenly right for the job.

I will back him if he gets the job and hope he succeeds but don't agree with the decision