• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

KH sacked

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
There seemed to be tension between Palios and Mellon in the months before he left, which would be a stumbling block I would imagine.
There was, he applied for jobs a while before he left, I would think diffences could be smoothed over but I doubt he will be our manager

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes I never believe the bookies but interesting. A lot of people will say never go back as it could spoil what he did previously but I’d drive up there and bring him down here if it helped!

One reason is apart from challinor, there isn’t anyone else who stands out

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Yes I never believe the bookies but interesting. A lot of people will say never go back as it could spoil what he did previously but I’d drive up there and bring him down here if it helped!

One reason is apart from challinor, there isn’t anyone else who stands out
Yes, if he wants to return the job is his as far as I am concerned. I am not sure he wants to though.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree that the working relationship between MM and Mark didn't appear to be totally harmonious at times and Micky had been linked with other clubs on a few occasions before he finally left . Also, would he be onboard with the developing talent approach that Mark is now advocating? We've previous history of a manager coming back and doing well with Johnny King, but don't see a return here

Player
Manager
John King
I think in some ways the job would be more attractive to Mellon now than it was when we unexpectedly reached League One a couple of years ago. We have a much healthier playing budget, rather than scraping round for the scraps left by others. Some of Mellon's frustration seemed to stem from the ambitious targets Palios set publicly, at a time when we had not fully acclimatised to the EFL.

However, I still don't think it will happen.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'd imagine Mellon would want a different challenge and could probably do better than league two.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I'd imagine Mellon would want a different challenge and could probably do better than league two.

Yes I agree that league one clubs may want him although I’m not sure which need managers at the moment. Lots of Dundee fans critical of his apparent defensive approach but what did they expect having just come up? Plus a cup semi so for one season during a COVID season I think he did a decent job.

Player
Manager
John King
Yes I agree that league one clubs may want him although I’m not sure which need managers at the moment. Lots of Dundee fans critical of his apparent defensive approach but what did they expect having just come up? Plus a cup semi so for one season during a COVID season I think he did a decent job.
Morecambe might do when Adams leaves for Bradford ! That would be just round the corner for him as well.

In reality, I think he would want a more substantial League One club where he can progress his career. However, he needs to work I would imagine.

drwhoman

I agree. The reality is that Scotland is now a two team league and the rest are usually competing for the slots below and hoping that they avoid the relegation places in what is a small league in terms of team numbers. Man DU fans will remember the good times they have had in the past but that is where they will remain unfortunately. It seems that the top two quickly snaffle any good young players and are able pay reasonable if not huge transfer fees by Premier League standards. The rest are finding decent players where they can, including the English lower divisions. Hence, the likes of Taylor and Tremarco have done ok up there.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
You would have an unproven novice over a proven successful manager really?
Just an opinion. Mainly for what might be with Dawes in terms of attractive football and his potential......gamble I know, and TRFC recruitment not my job. Granted Mickey will bring stability and proven know how. Albeit I am sure he has been criticised on here previously for stubbornness and cautious approach. I understand the DUFC forums may infer he did a decent job, whereas others were not happy with the cautious approach.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Dawes over Mellon?!? Is it 1st April?!
I prefer the potential of Dawes Sparky. I think we know what we'd get with Micky. He did a top job previously, although was not without criticism on here.
Sometimes it may work, but I've never been a fan of going back.
Just an opinion.

Player
Manager
John King
I think the fact that we 'know what we get' with Mellon is really the attraction, given he is one of our most successful ever managers. There is a significant risk that Dawes would completely bomb, like Mike Jackson. We could not afford another disastrous appointment of that nature.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
I think the fact that we 'know what we get' with Mellon is really the attraction, given he is one of our most successful ever managers. There is a significant risk that Dawes would completely bomb, like Mike Jackson. We could not afford another disastrous appointment of that nature.
Yep. I accept MM is by far the safest bet given his previous success, although he wasn't without his critics during his time. Granted most managers will get some flak.
Dawes could bomb, but his potential appeals to me, but again my neck isn't on the line. I would defo back Micky if he comes back, but if it is Dawes I would be excited.....just a gut feeling.
Close season will be interesting on many fronts.

Player
aldo
I have to agree if dave is interested then we need to get him, some good points to dave our he knows the non-LG very well and could get us some good players,we just have to look at what posh do we need to be looking at players from the lower LGS then sell them on

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Micky certainly did have his critics but then so do most managers. What I really miss about Mellon and something we sorely lacked this season was the unity, the team spirit, everyone working hard and working towards the same goal. Micky knew what was required from his players and mostly got it from them and he was also great with the supporters. We need that kind of bond back.

Player
Manager
John King
Micky certainly did have his critics but then so do most managers. What I really miss about Mellon and something we sorely lacked this season was the unity, the team spirit, everyone working hard and working towards the same goal. Micky knew what was required from his players and mostly got it from them and he was also great with the supporters. We need that kind of bond back.
The criticism in his final season was ill informed in my opinion. We had achieved back to back promotions from the National League to League One and had a squad of non league / League Two journeymen that were never going to be good enough at the higher level. We had very limited funds in the summer of 2019 to strengthen after missing out on several years of EFL funding, hence the poor quality of the recruits, but when funds were available the following January - which he largely earned through the FA Cup run - the recruitment was excellent (Clarke, Woodyard, Vaughan, Cook) and we were set for survival when the season was curtailed. If we had stayed up that season, it would have been a greater achievement than the two promotions in my view.

Even in the summer of 2018 he was not heavily backed in the transfer market and we missed out on several targets. However, again he earned himself additional funds the following January through an FA Cup run, recruited well, and won promotion.

ADD

Player
Norwood
I doubt that he would want to come back or indeed that MP would have him back given all the apparent shopping around for some time loooking to leave before he did so why would MP be persuaded we would not simply be a port in a storm until something better came along again? Impossible to think and plan longer term on that basis. Would prefer Challinor in any event if he is interested/ affordable given he has a year to go on his contract.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We were paying the price for 3 seasons without league funding when micky was in charge and if it wasn't for the cup runs it would've been worse financially.