• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

KH sacked

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A few names doing the rounds but Dawes now Is the overwhelming favourite

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Surprised if this is correct. I’d have been happy giving Dawes it after we sacked Jacko and don’t attach any blame to him for not being able to turn around a demoralised team for the play-offs. However, don’t think we can afford a repeat of last season.

It may be that Micky has confirmed no wish to return and Challinor may be too expensive to buy out or there are other issues, we don’t know.... If those two were out of the picture, while McGreal is taking over at Swindon, then the Palioi may have run out of options and given the choice between Dawes and another journeyman, have felt that it’s better to opt for someone who knows the club. Doubtless we will find out eventually.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Quite annoying as he could have done that six months ago! I like Dawes although I'm not sure if he has a strong enough character.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Richard Garnett from the Globe reckons Micky to hold talks shortly

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The odds keep changing by the hour. The favourite changes every day. It was exactly the same when Jackson and Hill were appointed. How do the bookies know what MP is thinking? He tends to keep things like that under wraps and leaks are rare, except when an appointment is imminent. I think I'll just wait till I hear an announcement!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The bookies don't know anything and the tiny number of people placing bets means the odds are almost meaningless.

However, if Garnett believes we have approached Mellon I think we will have done.

Player
aldo
I will also back him but yes it's the cheap option its good to be home we have been getting hammered at work missed both games read that the new fn park is going to cost between 1.5mill to 2 mill that is a huge investment from the trust and club with a crowdfunded to go with it

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
An interesting post on the other site suggesting that Micky wasn’t expecting to be our manager in L1, spending a lot of time on applications for other jobs, Swansea in particular. Hence the last minute recruitment and patchy start to that season. I’ve no idea about the accuracy of the account, but certain elements ring true. If Micky was keen to get away then, why would he be wanting to return now?

Player
aldo
as you say never go back to your old job most times never works out we need this sorting fast then get a good team together to win the LG or at least get us up

Player
Manager
John King
An interesting post on the other site suggesting that Micky wasn’t expecting to be our manager in L1, spending a lot of time on applications for other jobs, Swansea in particular. Hence the last minute recruitment and patchy start to that season. I’ve no idea about the accuracy of the account, but certain elements ring true. If Micky was keen to get away then, why would he be wanting to return now?
Because he is unemployed and needs a job.

That sounds like the club's version of events to me. I would not imagine job applications were taking up all of Mellon's time 9 to 5 at Solar Campus..... I would imagine the limited budget was the bigger issue, plus we started recruiting a month later than other clubs due to involvement in the play offs.

Player
Manager
John King
as you say never go back to your old job most times never works out we need this sorting fast then get a good team together to win the LG or at least get us up
Johnny King came back to pretty good effect..... I think you can either manage or you can't, and the rest is superstition really.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We have had some great memories with MM in charge over the last few years. Real good days when the club was together again after years of rot. It felt great. We need some of that back as this club still needs to be achieving more. I always felt like Mickys work wasn't quite done when he left, so he's got unfinished business in my view.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Johnny King came back to pretty good effect..... I think you can either manage or you can't, and the rest is superstition really.
So did Eddie Howe to Bournemouth. But Howard Kendall came back to Everton (twice) and failed to get anything near the success of his first spell. It can work, but there’s no guarantee.

I would hate him to come back just because he is unemployed and needs a job. He will presumably have had a payoff to keep him going while he awaits the right opportunity. If he is ambitious, he won’t come back to us. After all, he left us because he was ambitious. We are not a significantly more attractive club than we were when he left and if there were issues between him and the owners, I doubt they will have disappeared.

Player
Manager
John King
So did Eddie Howe to Bournemouth. But Howard Kendall came back to Everton (twice) and failed to get anything near the success of his first spell. It can work, but there’s no guarantee.

I would hate him to come back just because he is unemployed and needs a job. He will presumably have had a payoff to keep him going while he awaits the right opportunity. If he is ambitious, he won’t come back to us. After all, he left us because he was ambitious. We are not a significantly more attractive club than we were when he left and if there were issues between him and the owners, I doubt they will have disappeared.
A willingness to come back would not imply he has lost any ambition. We are in a better state financially than when he left, and the ambition of the owner is undimmed. There are not many, if any, League One jobs available at the moment and we are as attractive a proposition as any other club in League Two.

I am aware that other managers have failed in second spells at clubs, but any appointment carries an element of risk. I would rather take my chances with Mellon than end up with another hasbeen like Hill, which is the likely alternative.

Player
Manager
John King
My comment about his current lack of employment was obviously tongue in cheek, but ultimately every manager needs to work. Did he lack ambition when he dropped two divisions and left Shrewsbury to manage us ?

Mellon is a workaholic and if he did come back he would give the job everything.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
There are actually lots of examples in the lower divisions of managers having successful second spells at clubs; John King, Eddie Howe, Alan Buckley, John Coleman, Keith Hill, Martin Allen. Even Ronnie Moore to an extent, both here and at Rotherham.