• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

KH sacked

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Because he is unemployed and needs a job.

That sounds like the club's version of events to me. I would not imagine job applications were taking up all of Mellon's time 9 to 5 at Solar Campus..... I would imagine the limited budget was the bigger issue, plus we started recruiting a month later than other clubs due to involvement in the play offs.
He had applied fir the Swansea job that summer and there were talks with his agent. The bigger problem was the budget and how it was used and it was only increased just before the window shut allowing us to sign Ferrier.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’m sure both sides Palios and Micky will have learnt lessons from the past. Micky will have known he had chances to move up the ladder after 2 successive promotions. You can’t blame him for that as he’ll want to challenge himself and do better financially.

The fact is he is a proven league 2 manager with promotion experience with us and Shrewsbury from this level. Plus there isn’t much else out there if challinor is going to cost money and Dawes is a big risk.

Of course there may still be L1 interest in him and he’ll be keen to get back on the horse after what happened at Dundee so I just hope it’s with us as no one else could give us a better chance of promotion next season and at the end of the day, that is the most important thing

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
He also has question marks over his division one days which haven't been great, for various reasons, so may work in our favour if anyone above league two is sniffing around.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Because he is unemployed and needs a job.

That sounds like the club's version of events to me. I would not imagine job applications were taking up all of Mellon's time 9 to 5 at Solar Campus..... I would imagine the limited budget was the bigger issue, plus we started recruiting a month later than other clubs due to involvement in the play offs.
It was the ITK poster that has several times been referred to during the past year and who has proven to be correct on pretty much every occasion.
Also has confirmed that MM and MP met albeit he also commented that a lot would need to change for MM to come back.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Also has confirmed that MM and MP met albeit he also commented that a lot would need to change for MM to come back.
Interesting comment. Exactly what would have to change, I wonder? Bigger budget, more control over transfers, .....

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It was the ITK poster that has several times been referred to during the past year and who has proven to be correct on pretty much every occasion.
I know, but I maintain that the bigger issue was the size of the budget, which is also not in dispute. The substantial increase in the budget did not come until January, and as Mart says, some of the summer funds were held back until quite late as well.

The comments regarding Mellon's job applications initially came from Rob Edwards, not the ITK poster, and he is likely to side with the club when events in that summer are discussed, as he is semi-employed by them.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
There is an underlying situation, that many have posted, especially about who is next manager and the discussions the club has had with MM.
We have always assumed that MM got on well with MP and there was a plan to get promoted asap. But reading many posts, this is not the case.
If MM wants things changing, there must be something that he is concerned about the buddget is the obvious, but what else?
The unity and bonding with supporters was crucial in what we have achieved, the rise in season tickets for one example.
We have been through too much in the past two seasons. To have it continue would be totally unthinkable.

Player
aldo
and we all love Kingy and a fair point I would have Micky back and with James now gone ( I am gutted ) but not surprised we had little hints through the season, it is going to be a major rebuilding job for whoever gets the job just hope MP gets this right even the investors must be wondering

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Still lots of anti Mellon posts on social media. I understand the whole don’t go back concept but people need to remember, earlier in the season when we needed a manager all of the likes of Cowley, cook and Adkins were available.

All proved to be unrealistic of course, but they were on the market looking for work. Whereas now hardly any names stand out so all the more reason to go with a safe pair of hands if we can. Someone who knows how to get promoted from L2 and build a rapport with the fans.

Cab we trust someone like Dawes to rebuild an entire squad? I’m not sure

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Just been to the club shop to renew my season ticket and pick up some bargains.

Anyway there was a Maserati near the ground with MM in the number plate.

Could be nothing but you never know!!
You mean Manny Monthe has signed a new contract? ;)

ADD

Player
Norwood
Still lots of anti Mellon posts on social media. I understand the whole don’t go back concept but people need to remember, earlier in the season when we needed a manager all of the likes of Cowley, cook and Adkins were available.

All proved to be unrealistic of course, but they were on the market looking for work. Whereas now hardly any names stand out so all the more reason to go with a safe pair of hands if we can. Someone who knows how to get promoted from L2 and build a rapport with the fans.

Cab we trust someone like Dawes to rebuild an entire squad? I’m not sure
Sparky not so much anti Mellon as pro someone else perhaps?
As to recruitment I think MM's own recruitment is hardly stellar - given Brabin did much of the heavy lifting in terms of the spine of the team that got us promotion back into the EFL. Challinor who is also apparently keen would know better which players in NL could make the step up - the added benefit being that they are likely to be hungry to progress not simply taking a pay check as both Hill and Dawes suggested some of ours were. Personally I think he would be a better bet but that said I expect that MP will go for MM again since he is a free agent so no pay off to Pool required and of course a very known quantity.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It is a myth that Mellon could not recruit. He did not have money to spend in a number of transfer windows, unlike Brabin and Jackson.

In his final January window he brought in Vaughan, Cook, Woodyard and Clarke. Hardly a bunch of duffers. In the previous January he signed Perkins, Morris, Pringle and Nelson, all of whom were crucial to the promotion that season.

He also brought Norburn, Ellis, Monthe, McCullough and others to the club. Brabin brought a large number of duds to the club, which is often forgotten.

If we have to wait over a month to appoint Challinor, I am not sure that deal is feasible.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Brabin had the pick of players when we were in the national league as we were the biggest club, all managers make good and bad signings and micky is no different.

To me he is the top choice and I fully expect him be appointed within the next week

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
For all the doubters, remember the good times under Micky Mellon and then look back on this season.. no brainer really.