• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EFL Cup Accy V Rovers

Match result

• Accrington Stanley

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Accy V Rovers
Posted by Ian
Wham Stadium
Tuesday, August 9, 2022 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, August 9, 2022 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The maligned Lewis showing his worth tonight. Unlucky not to get a late equaliser on Saturday and scores a vital goal tonight.

Worth mentioning that Accrington were pretty much at full strength, whereas we had a patched together side.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It sounded like a much improved second half, Hawkes and Bristow shining and Mumbongo offering something different. Rovers not had a great history with penalty shoot-outs so good to redress the balance tonight. Think I'm just going to enjoy the result, analysis and ramifications are for the morning :)

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
That really didn't look like a possibility at half time. Much more intensity in the second half which the hosts weren't expecting. The change in formation and personnel certainly helped. 2 great goals and as exciting a finish as you could wish for. Much food for thought for the manager. Anyway home now, not everyday you can walk home from an away match! All in all a very pleasant evening and well worth the £20.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
Well done Rovers made up for them and hope it will shut some of the Twitter dickheads up, also little credit to the keeper that will do him the world of good

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre

Second Round: August 23-24, 2022​

The 35 winners from the First Round are joined by the last two clubs from the Championship and the 13 Premier League clubs not involved in European competition. That’s 50 clubs and 25 games.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Great result and great spirit.
Nice feeling for Hewelt to be so involved. He'll feel like a bona fide no.2 now.
Plenty of food for thought for MM.
Roll on Saturday.

Reactions: Boz

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
That really didn't look like a possibility at half time. Much more intensity in the second half which the hosts weren't expecting. The change in formation and personnel certainly helped. 2 great goals and as exciting a finish as you could wish for. Much food for thought for the manager. Anyway home now, not everyday you can walk home from an away match! All in all a very pleasant evening and well worth the £20.
Absolutely. Credit to Micky for making changes at HT which really made a difference and credit to the team who kept pushing right to the end. I think Accy were quite happy to sit on the 2-0 lead mixed in with some time wasting against a soft referee. That worked for us as we were then able to move further up the field, McAlear bolstered the midfield and we started to cause them problems.

We still struggled to create clear cut opportunities but the ones we did have were taken very well which should give the players a much needed boost ahead of Saturday.

Standout players for me were Cogley with his excellent runs down the wing, that guy can move! Hewelt had a very good game in goal and McAlear did a great job when he came on. Great penalties too.

Very enjoyable night and as ONIGP says, well worth £20!

On a final note, I would be very reluctant to play the same tactic as we did in the first half, it just didn't work. Midfield was non-existent, the forwards were too isolated and it was just too defensive from the off with aimless punts and players running around like headless chickens. You could see the Accy goals coming from a mile off. I would definately stick with a back four as we looked decent in the second half.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Cool as you like..

Reactions: Boz

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The draw for the next round is after the game on sky TV so around 9 45 if it doesn’t go to pens.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Morning all. Got up this morning thinking about what a great result that was last night. Odds stacked against us, 2-0 down at HT. Just shows we have some fight and spirit in this camp. Don't give up on the lads, let's get behind them, there's a good team in there, we just need a bit of patience.

Episode 18 Patience GIF by Law & Order

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Thanks Ian. Interesting that for half of the interview it’s about the lack of effort and desire in the first half. Micky admits they had a half time rollicking and in the first half were ’milky and lame’.

Really need to take this onto Saturday now

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Just watched the goals back. Mistake by O’Connor I think giving the ball away for the first and the second is poor as the lad is allowed to turn and get a shot away.
cracking goal from hawkes and delivery for the second.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
At half time we looked a well beaten team. Second best all over the park and tactically a shambles. I always thought that the benefit of playing three at the back with wing backs was to achieve a high press, but the way we play results in the opposite . Accy swarmed all over us. Their press resulted in the first goal. After that the body language of our players was dreadful, and as they trudged off at the break, for a moment I feared that they may have stopped playing for Micky. But as others have reported the changes in formation and personnel resulted in a much more competitive second half performance. Hawkes scored a brilliant goal to get us back in the game, before the excellent Lewis equalised at the death ( I actually thought it was Mumbongo at the time). There then followed some of the best penalties you are ever likely to witness - concluded by a terrific sudden death save from Hewelt. Really impressed by Hewelt and the young lads Bristow and Robinson. And with others such as Maclear, Hockenhull and Jones, as Ian alludes to, we need to remember that Rome was not built in a day. As for Mumbongo, hard to tell really. His first three contributions were to concede free kicks. But after that showed he can hold up the play and be a threat from crosses. So ultimately an enjoyable night, but hopefully what is not forgotten in the euphoria of a penalty shoot out win, away, against League 1 opponents, is to dump the 3-5-2 formation in the tactical bin - at least for the short term.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Interesting watch (with his rose tinted glasses of course).

ADD

Player
Norwood
Sounds like another terrible first half albeit then a complete transformation. MM pretty scathing in his interview which is a real concern this early in the season. Youngsters should be hungry to do well - are they not buying into the tactics either? O'Connor possibly fouled for the first goal I felt but he has to be stronger anyhow.
Great to see Turnbull getting 45 minutes and Mumbongo some 20 minutes. Hopefully they will be ready soon. Concern though about Davies - no mention of him - is his injury worse than thought or has he had a setback? Nice to see Merrie get a game - not seen many comments on how he did? Also Hewelt how was his general play/ distribution? Great save at the end!
As to the fact that we had 2 keepers on the bench MM not doing himself any favours. Doohan should have been given the night off to relax at home - and if I was MP I would be seriously unimpressed - speak to MP in private and make your point by all means but not like that. Also we could have had 9 subs so we were effectively 2 subs short. Why not Taylor on the bench - if Hemmings had been injured first minute and had to come off Mumbongo couldn't have played the full 90 minutes so we would have no CF by the end. Also Stratulis? No sign again? Strange.
Let's hope however the rollicking they obviously got and the comeback will kick start our season proper on Saturday.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Davies is back in a month according to the TRFC Radio commentators.

As I said previously, the substitute issue is just typical of the tit-for-tat that has gone on between Palios and Mellon over the years and is a fuss about nothing in my view. They are both big and bad enough to stand up for themselves.

Not very gracious comments from Coleman.

Let's just take the positives and move on to Saturday.

Last edited: