• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EFL Cup Accy V Rovers

Match result

• Accrington Stanley

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Accy V Rovers
Posted by Ian
Wham Stadium
Tuesday, August 9, 2022 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, August 9, 2022 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Interesting re Hewelt's performance - do people who were there think he should be competing for starting keeper based on that? Is his distribution better than Doohan's?
I wasn’t there but I’d be amazed if he started ahead of Doohan. In his post match Micky praises hewelt but is quick to mention what a very good keeepr Doohan is too.

Thanks for the report RLC. From some there were still concerns about how many chances we actually created over the course of the 90 minutes - was this an issue albeit we were away at a league one side? Although I don’t think we’ve created much in the two league defeats.

The 4-3-2-1 is interesting as Hemmings often drops deep but at least that way we’d still have a focal point up top if he played behind mumbongo.

ADD

Player
Norwood
I wasn’t there but I’d be amazed if he started ahead of Doohan. In his post match Micky praises hewelt but is quick to mention what a very good keeepr Doohan is too.

Thanks for the report RLC. From some there were still concerns about how many chances we actually created over the course of the 90 minutes - was this an issue albeit we were away at a league one side? Although I don’t think we’ve created much in the two league defeats.

The 4-3-2-1 is interesting as Hemmings often drops deep but at least that way we’d still have a focal point up top if he played behind mumbongo.
Agreed Sparky I wasn't suggesting he would start ahead of Doohan but I was just wondering as to capability as aside from the penalty saves the extended highlights didn't show a single save/ catch so difficult to tell much.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King

There were not many clear opportunities for either side, although Accrington had far more efforts at goal than us in the first half.

We arguably created better, although fewer, chances than Mansfield on Saturday, so I don't think it is a major concern. I think there is creativity in the squad with Hawkes/McAlear/Morris and the wing backs.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Matt Hewelt has an interesting history. Born in Poland, he moved to Dublin aged five and was spotted by Everton, hence the strong Scouse accent. As a teenager, he left to play in the Polish second tier then returned to England, where he languished in the seventh tier with Bamber Bridge before Rovers picked him up. He is 26 next month, still young for a goalkeeper, but quite old for someone yet to make their EFL debut. I am sure that will come soon.

BTW, his penalty on Tuesday wasn’t the first time he hit the target. In Poland he headed a last-minute equaliser in a league game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boz

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agreed Sparky I wasn't suggesting he would start ahead of Doohan but I was just wondering as to capability as aside from the penalty saves the extended highlights didn't show a single save/ catch so difficult to tell much.
Yes and I guess with hewelt now the recognised number two ahead of Murphy who could still do a job as he showed last season. Hewelt must have impressed in training

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
I think Hewelt is defo a bona fide no. 2 challenging for no. 1. In his interview Micky infers Hewelt is pushing Doohan and that he needs to throw Hewelt a bone to keep him happier. So clearly Hewelt sees himself in contention which I guess is important.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
It’s great completion at least and they’ve got a great mentor in Joe Murphy.
It's a fantastic position to be in at this level. However, should we need to make any cutbacks it will be a soft target even if Mateusz isn't a great cost. Let's hope our EFL Cup "run" removes that possibility.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
With two good young keepers I would imagine the club at some stage may see it as a chance to cash in if both are on contract.
If Hewelt has confidence in his own ability he may look for a rise sooner than later. Albeit for now hell appreciate the odd chance to show what he can do.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Good news as some more cash for the coffers and hopefully a decent crowd (with the inevitable muppets in the kop you see at these types of game).

Wonder if it’ll impact on any decent signings before the end of august. We still need another attacking player in my opinion and need to keep hold of cogley

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
In his pre-match interview Micky said we picked up a couple of further knocks on Tuesday, so it sounds like O'Connor is doubtful for the weekend.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
I remember it well one of the best games I have seen at pp with a tone of goals what a game

2 right feet

Player
Nixon
Manager
Kingy
I thought we were better once Oconnor went off, good player but not hugely creative Merrie more than a decent replacement, should actually be starting anyway!