• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EFL Cup Accy V Rovers

Match result

• Accrington Stanley

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Accy V Rovers
Posted by Ian
Wham Stadium
Tuesday, August 9, 2022 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, August 9, 2022 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Another tough test for Rovers as we travel to League One Accrington.

Accy lost some key players in the summer, most notably the prolific Colby Bishop, but still have some decent individuals, including Shaun McConville and Harry Pell. They may rest players for this fixture, although given their fairly limited squad depth I would guess any side they put out will be competitive.

If we had a fully fit squad, I think Micky would make four or five changes for this game. As it is, I think Nolan and Hockenhull may play, but I think the starting eleven will be similar to the one at Mansfield.

It is always important to progress in cup competitions for financial reasons, but regardless of the result we need a decent display tomorrow night to go into Saturday's game in reasonable spirits.

This is another fixture I have a ticket for but am unable to attend due to persistent Covid, which is frustrating. I think about 800 Rovers fans will travel, and I don't think there is a live stream available for the rest of us, legal or illegal.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Baba Fernandes signed for Accrington on 2 year deal, not sure if he's registered or not in time to play tomorrow

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As RLC says we need something positive whether it’s the result or performance ahead of a big game on Saturday.

I hope the likes of Nolan and hawkes (or even the rarely spotted Chris merrie!), get some game time but a defeat will mean 3 from 3 games so far and a tad more pressure.

Fernandes singing for accy on a 2 year deal is surprising as he didn’t really stand out for us and I wonder if we offered him a deal.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Wonder if he will rest Doohan?
Hope your Covid clears up. Not long clear myself and it dragged on for a good couple of weeks.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'm not sure we'll see many changes for Rovers. Possibly Hockenhull at the back as RLC suggests and maybe a change in midfield, although I'm unsure that Nolan is ready yet. I'd expect Doohan to start, think Hewelt/Murphy are only likely to appear for Pizza Cup games or when Ross is unavailable.

If 800 do go, that would be a good turnout. It would be nice to get one over on Accrington after Andy Holt's rather two-faced approach to our demotion, but it would be a surprise if we progress to the next round for about the first time in 9 years,

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'll be going tomorrow so hoping for a decent performance from the mighty whites. It won't be easy but a positive result could really set us up for the league game at the weekend. I'd expect a similar side from Sat.

Unlucky RLC, hopefully your COVID will clear up before the weekend.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
yea we defo need some of the other Lads back and we could do with one or two more players with a few Games under the belts it is looking like it might be a hard Season of watching Again, and MP wanted Goals goals goals mmmmmmm we will see hey like Normal I will go for 2-1 with Nevitt getting both he needs a boost

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Really looking forward tonight and fully expecting a Rovers win. Built on logic, of course, since I'm on a 3 game away winning streak - Shrewsbury, Accrington and Blackpool. Remember them? We had really hit some form and were playing excellent, incisive football under a manager who had taken us to 2 promotions on the spin and had just strengthened the squad in January. The only player remaining from our squad against Blackpool (just over 2 years ago) is Morris. Strangely, Feeney, MacDonald and Spearing all appeared for Blackpool that day and all have since joined and left us! Their goal scorer in defeat was a young Dewsbury-Hall, now a regular in the Leicester City starting line up. We were playing 3 at the back (Monthe, Ellis and Clarke) with wing backs (Wilson and Woods), so perhaps some things don't change as much as people may suggest. It was an excellent performance and we would undoubtedly have pulled well away from the relegation places if it hadn't been for the dreaded c***d. I think it easy to forget how positive we were at that point and the huge damage that our demotion caused.

Player
Manager
John King
Really looking forward tonight and fully expecting a Rovers win. Built on logic, of course, since I'm on a 3 game away winning streak - Shrewsbury, Accrington and Blackpool. Remember them? We had really hit some form and were playing excellent, incisive football under a manager who had taken us to 2 promotions on the spin and had just strengthened the squad in January. The only player remaining from our squad against Blackpool (just over 2 years ago) is Morris. Strangely, Feeney, MacDonald and Spearing all appeared for Blackpool that day and all have since joined and left us! Their goal scorer in defeat was a young Dewsbury-Hall, now a regular in the Leicester City starting line up. We were playing 3 at the back (Monthe, Ellis and Clarke) with wing backs (Wilson and Woods), so perhaps some things don't change as much as people may suggest. It was an excellent performance and we would undoubtedly have pulled well away from the relegation places if it hadn't been for the dreaded c***d. I think it easy to forget how positive we were at that point and the huge damage that our demotion caused.
Yes, Covid and the fallout from it arguably hit us harder than any other club in the country. Not due to mismanagement by the owners, but purely down to circumstances.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Unfortunately, I'll be in attendance @ONIGP and my away record is not great although I will share your positivity too! :lol: :laugh:

It would be nice if we get to see the trio of Jordan Turnbull, Ben Hockenhull and Joel Mumbongo at some point during the game but unsure how close they are to a return.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Your away record isn’t as bad as mine Ian! Both yourself and ONIGP will be glad I’m nowhere near Accrington tonight :)

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Hewelt Turnbull Merrie Hawkes all start Mumbongo on bench no Nevitt or Jameson in squad

Player
Manager
John King
1660067624131.png

Player
Manager
John King
Looks like Hawkes playing just off Hemmings.

Nevitt and Jameson must have knocks I would imagine.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Got to be careful we don’t run Hemmings into the ground albeit still very early in the season.

Pleased turnbull is fit to start. Shame no Tom Davies and a bit surprised Nevitt none on the bench unless he has a knock. Hopefully mumbongo gets some action against his former team. Assume it’s a 5-4-1 with merrie in his preferred CM position

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Also Nolan not involved
You wonder if he’ll turn out like another mark duffy. Not able to play a full 90 as he hardly has in the last couple of years.

The hosts fielding a fairly strong line up

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Would never have guessed that line-up. What’s with the 2 keepers on the bench, is Joe Murphy going to come on as a striker?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Also Nolan not involved

You wonder if he’ll turn out like another mark duffy. Not able to play a full 90 as he hardly has in the last couple of years.

The hosts fielding a fairly strong line up
Darren Potter’s the one he reminds me of, had one really bad injury before we signed him and his season at Rovers seemed to be diminished by the after effects of that, very cautious and risk averse.