• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EFL Cup Accy V Rovers

Match result

• Accrington Stanley

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Accy V Rovers
Posted by Ian
Wham Stadium
Tuesday, August 9, 2022 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, August 9, 2022 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I would still be wary of ditching the 532 altogether at such an early stage. Perhaps the players are more comfortable playing with a back four, but the inconsistencies we have seen so far are typical of a young, naive squad, with very little senior experience.

I think it will be a case of 'horses for courses', with the system adapted depending on the opposition and the personnel available.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes and even with a 4-4-2 Micky would have a dilemma over which two to play in the middle from OConnor, Lewis and McAlear (Nolan not included).

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Perhaps the players are more comfortable playing with a back four, but the inconsistencies we have seen so far are typical of a young, naive squad, with very little senior experience.
Definately. Classic case last night, althought the change in tactic also helped. There is definate talent there but they have to learn that desire and workrate is a must when they pull on the shirt. Results will then follow.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Davies is back in a month according to the TRFC Radio commentators.

As I said previously, the substitute issue is just typical of the tit-for-tat that has gone on between Palios and Mellon over the years and is a fuss about nothing in my view. They are both big and bad enough to stand up for themselves.

Not very gracious comments from Coleman.

Let's just take the positives and move on to Saturday.
That's good to hear thanks.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I actually voted with my heart for a win, but at 2-0 I was already wondering when was the last time we lost our first three games. I followed the game on Livetext and after our first goal I thought we had a great chance if the attitude was right. But the game showed the fine line between elation and despair. No wonder Coleman was gutted.

We can’t afford to go overboard about what even Micky described as a mixed performance. This is still a work in progress. Micky has some interesting dilemmas for Saturday. At least 14 or 15 players will be hoping to start. And there will be pressure from some for him to abandon 3-5-2 in favour of what worked last night, but I think he will give his players more time to adapt.

Reactions: Boz

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A good result. Don’t disagree with much of what’s been said about the game and the interesting dilemma it poses over team selection at the weekend.

Disappointed that Micky wasn’t asked about the bench last night, 1 player short and two keepers. Still think he’s missed a trick by not having another youngster as sub rather than leaving a space spare, as it would be a positive learning experience for them.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
M
A good result. Don’t disagree with much of what’s been said about the game and the interesting dilemma it poses over team selection at the weekend.

Disappointed that Micky wasn’t asked about the bench last night, 1 player short and two keepers. Still think he’s missed a trick by not having another youngster as sub rather than leaving a space spare, as it would be a positive learning experience for them.
Yes it would have been interesting if micky was asked why Nevitt wasn’t on the bench given he’s started both league games this season. Is he injured or rested? I liked Derek Jones but some of his questions could be a bit more searching at times

Reactions: Boz

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
That’s a great draw. Wonder if we’ll be on the telly?!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
That's brilliant.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I watched the full replay of last night's game.

In the first fifteen minutes I thought we played ok, looking sharp on the counter attack through Cogley and Hawkes. We will be a threat on the break this season with the pace we have in the side. However, the remainder of the half was pretty awful as we continually turned the ball over and invited pressure. We were deservedly behind at the break, although we did have one good chance towards the end of the half when Cogley supplied Hawkes who forced a good save from the keeper.

The second half was much better and we deserved to take the game to penalties. We were more composed in possession and showed more conviction, and McAlear made a difference with his quality on the ball, not least the fantastic pass that set Hawkes away for our first goal. I thought Hawkes had a great game and Bristow was excellent both offensively and defensively in the second half. Hewelt's handling was impressive throughout and there were promising cameos from Mumbongo and Hughes.

It looked like we finished the game in a 4321 formation, with Hemmings and McAlear playing off Mumbongo, so it will be interesting to see how we set up on Saturday. It was interesting that the Radio Lancashire commentators were full of praise for Hawkes and Hewelt.

drwhoman

Home to Newcastle! I remember a night game years ago in some cup or other when Rovers beat the Toon 6-5! Aldo was playing and Ossie Ardiles was their Manager. A very windy night on a visit back to UK. An outing with my now long departed father! Funny how some games remain memorable not only for the game itself but other related personal things.

drwhoman

Home to Newcastle! I remember a night game years ago in some cup or other when Rovers beat the Toon 6-5! Aldo was playing and Ossie Ardiles was their Manager. A very windy night on a visit back to UK. An outing with my now long departed father! Funny how some games remain memorable not only for the game itself but other related personal things.
Google tells me it was 1991 and it was in fact 6-6 with Rovers winning on pens! Aldo scored 3.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Interesting re Hewelt's performance - do people who were there think he should be competing for starting keeper based on that? Is his distribution better than Doohan's?