• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Pools

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Hartlepool

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Pools
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, March 4, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, March 4, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Nice to see Connor back and he had a very good game. You forget what a clever player he is. Good in possession and forced a good save from Murphy in the first half. Would gladly have him back
Jennings is out of contract in the summer. A few months ago I would have said it was crazy to try and re-sign him, as we should be looking at better alternatives. However, given our problems up front and our apparent inability to sign decent forwards, I think we should be interested.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
For some reason the video yesterday couldn't deal with motion and stuttered throughout. I half watched it and saw the highlights. The injuries disrupted a solid unit bar the powder puff attack. Hendry was dominant in the middle and Merrie proved more evidence he has the best pass at the club.

Burton's header was very poor and a good chance, however his left foot effort was quite a wide angle. Saunders had a one on one and his execution could not have been worse. Your diagnosis of the Hemmings chance above, is incorrect. The ball came to his side with little power, he side footed with his left on the ground causing the keeper to dive and palm it away. The only thing I would want more would be to direct it nearer to the post, whether he could open his foot enough you cannot tell.
I've read Hemmings as guilty of back kicking a chance when it was behind him, the notion of options continue to baffle me and he has been criticised for heading crosses over when they were just too big. As happens at corners, the better ones, the ball is too high for an attacker to get on top of it and head into the goal. If the height becomes marginal defenders will try to squeeze you under the ball. I do worry when fans convince themselves of things which are technically incorrect.

I read comments yesterday that Hemmings should not come straight back into the team. Every other striker at the club either tries power or completely fluffs it. Another issue not often recognised they all have issues with playing the final ball in and Saunders never seems to even look for a better placed team mate. Most finishes are best placed with a side foot, they always have been. However good Hemmings is, he was an established tier 3 but is ageing, he is the only one at the club even attempting the basics.

Hawkes has come on, but his final ball can be poor and he looks to blast everything; his penalties are a miss waiting to happen. Saunders may hit a scoring patch through a confidence boost, his work is tremendous but he looks a striker most unlikely to strike. You know get the feeling that Mumbungo like Jamieson is on the bench despite the fact Mellon has planned to ditch them. People claim Burton does not get a chance with Mellon, I'd argue the opposite as I see him ending up in Warrington.

Before Xmas you suspected Joe was the only competent keeper since Davies, we now know that.
There was a decent back four with no back up, that remains the case
There was a competent midfield four and Lewis, that has been replicated with another competent midfield on top. T-C will never be effective when his good match was treated by benching him again.
Up front you still have one striker.

Imbalanced by design and the misfortune over injuries has really been quite lucky, imagine if they were defenders and not midfielders!!!!
I have now managed to catch up with the fuller highlights.

Agreed Burton should have directed the header better, but at least he jumped and made contact with the ball. Mumbongo certainly and maybe one or two of the other forwards wouldn't have got off the ground.

We'll have to agree to disagree over Saunders pass/Hemmings shot. It was a threaded ball through to Kane who was in a good position and could have tested the keeper more. I was at the game and at the end where it happened, the keeper made a meal of the save. There was another incident in that game where Saunders was well-placed but Hemmings played tippy-tappy with Walker on the edge of the box and the opportunity was wasted. As I've said before Saunders is now getting greedy out of desperation to score, but there were times early in his Rovers career where he did try to pick the better placed team-mate.

Unless something surprising happens in the next few weeks, Hemmings will walk straight back into the starting xi when he is fit. He is the best striker we've got, although on the wane and with certain limitations to his game.

I'm still undecided on Burton, but when he's come on/started, Jake has often managed to test the keeper

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Jennings is out of contract in the summer. A few months ago I would have said it was crazy to try and re-sign him, as we should be looking at better alternatives. However, given our problems up front and our apparent inability to sign decent forwards, I think we should be interested.
Yes I agree. He did look sharp yesterday and would probably be worth a years deal. I’m sure he’d be up for coming back, especially if Hartlepool go down. I suspected he’d be past it but he’d offer a fair bit more than the current crop we have

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I have now managed to catch up with the fuller highlights.

Agreed Burton should have directed the header better, but at least he jumped and made contact with the ball. Mumbongo certainly and maybe one or two of the other forwards wouldn't have got off the ground.

We'll have to agree to disagree over Saunders pass/Hemmings shot. It was a threaded ball through to Kane who was in a good position and could have tested the keeper more. I was at the game and at the end where it happened, the keeper made a meal of the save. There was another incident in that game where Saunders was well-placed but Hemmings played tippy-tappy with Walker on the edge of the box and the opportunity was wasted. As I've said before Saunders is now getting greedy out of desperation to score, but there were times early in his Rovers career where he did try to pick the better placed team-mate.

Unless something surprising happens in the next few weeks, Hemmings will walk straight back into the starting xi when he is fit. He is the best striker we've got, although on the wane and with certain limitations to his game.

I'm still undecided on Burton, but when he's come on/started, Jake has often managed to test the keeper
Jake Burton has some attributes that might suit say playing with an Andy cook type target man. I can’t help thinking though that’s he’s never established himself and he has had chances. If I were a betting man I don’t think he’ll be with us next season. Or if he is, it’ll be as back up

Player
Manager
John King
Jake Burton has some attributes that might suit say playing with an Andy cook type target man. I can’t help thinking though that’s he’s never established himself and he has had chances. If I were a betting man I don’t think he’ll be with us next season. Or if he is, it’ll be as back up
I think Burton might be offered another year, as he will be on low wages. He has improved in recent months but, as you say, I am not convinced he will make it in the long term.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I don't think Burton has had many chances at all, he hasn't had a run of games as a starter and usually only gets around 30 minutes or so

Player
Manager
John King
I don't think Burton has had many chances at all, he hasn't had a run of games as a starter and usually only gets around 30 minutes or so
There have been quite a few games where he has played 30-45 minutes, including yesterday. He has not really done anything to suggest he is the answer to our goalscoring problems.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
There have been quite a few games where he has played 30-45 minutes, including yesterday. He has not really done anything to suggest he is the answer to our goalscoring problems.
That's not being given a chance, Saunders has started the last 8 or 9 and has scored none, Burton should be given a few starts now the season is over

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
That's not being given a chance, Saunders has started the last 8 or 9 and has scored none, Burton should be given a few starts now the season is over
I agree this is worth a try now that even my rather higher points to stay in the FL has been met. Burton and Mumbongo did quite well as a pairing at Grimsby and it’s got to be worth trying something a bit
different to recently, maybe in a front 3 with Hawkes.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think they all have zero goal threat to be honest so you then have to look at who works the hardest or what other qualities do they bring to the team. Saunders does work very hard and has lots of pace. I was pleased that Burton was given more game time than usual yesterday but he didn't look great. I still don't think Micky rates him either.

Player
Manager
John King
He probably will get more game time in the weeks ahead, but I bet it makes very little difference. I know people want a miracle cure to our striking problems, but in reality we need better players in the centre forward position.

As Ian says above, I think Saunders offers more than Burton in general play and has justifiably been started ahead of him.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think they all have zero goal threat to be honest so you then have to look at who works the hardest or what other qualities do they bring to the team. Saunders does work very hard and has lots of pace. I was pleased that Burton was given more game time than usual yesterday but he didn't look great. I still don't think Micky rates him either.
Burton has scored for us in the FL this season, which is more than Saunders or Mumbongo have managed yet. MM although critical of the missed header was otherwise positive about Jake in his post match comments. Like me, I don’t think the manager has made his mind up on him yet.
He probably will get more game time in the weeks ahead, but I bet it makes very little difference. I know people want a miracle cure to our striking problems, but in reality we need better players in the centre forward position.

As Ian says above, I think Saunders offers more than Burton in general play and has justifiably been started ahead of him.
We’ve got Saunders and Hemmings next season. While one isn’t firing and the other is out injured with no immediate prospect of return, it won’t hurt trying other options. While I like Saunders, if he’s becoming an undroppable sacred cow, that may work against him.

Player
Manager
John King
Burton has scored for us in the FL this season, which is more than Saunders or Mumbongo have managed yet. MM although critical of the missed header was otherwise positive about Jake in his post match comments. Like me, I don’t think the manager has made his mind up on him yet.

We’ve got Saunders and Hemmings next season. While one isn’t firing and the other is out injured with no immediate prospect of return, it won’t hurt trying other options. While I like Saunders, if he’s becoming an undroppable sacred cow, that may work against him.
How can somebody be a 'sacred cow' after nine games ? Saunders was one of the marquee signings in January, so it was perfectly reasonable for Mellon to give him an extended run in the team.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
How can somebody be a 'sacred cow' after nine games ? Saunders was one of the marquee signings in January, so it was perfectly reasonable for Mellon to give him an extended run in the team.
I was under the impression we didn’t have any marquee signings this window!

No issue with Saunders getting an extended run at the start of his Rovers career, but sadly the effort hasn’t produced any goals. There has been criticism on here and elsewhere of Harvey not looking likely to score. I have not joined in with that, but if you’re opting to be critical about misses in post match interviews, then his is arguably the greater failure to convert yesterday. My preference would be to avoid singling any player out for criticism, as the perception if you do criticise selectively then you leave yourself open to suggestions of favouritism.

Player
Manager
John King

No issue with Saunders getting an extended run at the start of his Rovers career, but sadly the effort hasn’t produced any goals. There has been criticism on here and elsewhere of Harvey not looking likely to score. I have not joined in with that, but if you’re opting to be critical about misses in post match interviews, then his is arguably the greater failure to convert yesterday. My preference would be to avoid singling any player out for criticism, as the perception if you do criticise selectively then you leave yourself open to suggestions of favouritism.
I have criticised the finishing of all our strikers and have not singled anybody out, so I am not sure what you are getting at here. I also said that Saunders offers more outside the box than Burton which is why he is playing, which I think most people would agree with.

Player
Manager
John King
Whether he has lived up to that billing is debatable, but I don't think anybody expected him to come here and sit on the bench while Burton started ahead of him.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I have criticised the finishing of all our strikers and have not singled anybody out, so I am not sure what you are getting at here. I also said that Saunders offers more outside the box than Burton which is why he is playing, which I think most people would agree with.
I made specific reference to post-match interviews, which should be a clue as to who I'm referring to.
Whether he has lived up to that billing is debatable, but I don't think anybody expected him to come here and sit on the bench while Burton started ahead of him.
Nobody has suggested that initially, certainly not me.

However, now Saunders has had a consistent stretch of opportunities and it hasn't worked for him yet. Rovers are staying up. He's contracted for next season, as is Hemmings. I don't think it would hurt to take him out of the firing line for a few games, particularly as Hemmings isn't fit enough to be playing so no gain for them in terms of developing an understanding. He'd still get time off the bench, maybe his high pace pressing style might be more effective later in the game when the opponent is tired. Meanwhile we give Burton and Mumbongo some starts, which will help to evaluate if they have a future with the club going forward.