• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Pools

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Hartlepool

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Pools
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, March 4, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, March 4, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think until it is mathematically impossible to reach the play offs, Mellon has to pick the team which is best suited to win the game.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
I made specific reference to post-match interviews, which should be a clue as to who I'm referring to.

Nobody has suggested that initially, certainly not me.

However, now Saunders has had a consistent stretch of opportunities and it hasn't worked for him yet. Rovers are staying up. He's contracted for next season, as is Hemmings. I don't think it would hurt to take him out of the firing line for a few games, particularly as Hemmings isn't fit enough to be playing so no gain for them in terms of developing an understanding. He'd still get time off the bench, maybe his high pace pressing style might be more effective later in the game when the opponent is tired. Meanwhile we give Burton and Mumbongo some starts, which will help to evaluate if they have a future with the club going forward.
I can see what you are thinking, but you won't find a manager on the planet to go along with it or even when it becomes a far more outside hope. They throw the towel in when the last six matches need to be wins and then relying on a collective collapse above, maybe then!
IMO matches without either Hemmings, Davies, Turnbull or Murphy are likely to not be part of an accelerated run; one is missing for the foreseeable. I'd would fancy it much if either full back went down either. Micky will pursue snookers regardless

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
In fairness to Saunders, it was him who earned the penalty on Saturday with his speed through the middle. He would have been clear through twelve yards out with just the goalkeeper to beat. He may have still missed, but I think he would more likely have scored. That would have given him confidence and may have changed some perceptions of him. I hope drawing that spot kick has given him a lift anyway. I’m sure Micky will have appreciated it.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
If you get given a penalty like that you are happy enough but if its given against you then you would rightly be fuming.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
If we sell both Hawkes and Bristow, plus inevitably losing Cogley, we will lose virtually all of the genuine quality we have in the squad in the attacking areas. I doubt the fees received for those players would cover the cost of replacements, bring in a couple of good strikers, and go some way to covering the losses we are incurring.

There is nothing in our recent recruitment which suggests that the squad will be better next season if we lose all of the above players. We need to be very careful about the players we allow to leave, or next season could be a real struggle.
For sure we need to keep as much of the quality as possible - particularly those three. Have to say Hawkes is starting to look like a real player of late - on and off the ball.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
For sure we need to keep as much of the quality as possible - particularly those three. Have to say Hawkes is starting to look like a real player of late - on and off the ball.
We will lose Cogley and we will almost certainly have to sell one of the others. However, I think it would be more sensible to sell Bristow and keep hold of Hawkes.

Last edited: