• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Pools

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Hartlepool

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Pools
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, March 4, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, March 4, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I simply said we deserved a point overall, which is not particularly controversial.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Never said it was. You seemed to take issue with me saying to Boz if anybody was going to be miffed it would be them......given the daft pen decision. Otherwise a close game.

Player
Manager
John King
Never said it was. You seemed to take issue with me saying to Boz if anybody was going to be miffed it would be them......given the daft pen decision. Otherwise a close game.
My point was they should not really be miffed, as they did not deserve to win. Their fans agree with me if you look on their forum.

I don't think the penalty decision is that clear cut either.

Anyway, I am going to chill......

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I initially thought it was a soft penalty but have not seen any highlights yet. I think a draw was a fair result. A very similar story to Crawley though that these teams are not that easy to beat regardless of their league position. If anything, they will be fighting to stay in the division and so banana skins are always possible. I don't think there is a great deal of quality between most teams in this division anyway.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The Sky highlights were minimal and don't include the 'sitter' missed by Saunders. Aside from the penalty, the only other Rovers goal effort shown was when Saunders puts Burton through and he brings a save out of the keeper. I'd put it in the 'could do better' category, but it was not as good an opportunity as the one Saunders gave to Hemmings in the Doncaster away game, which was hit straight at the Donny keeper without any power.

I'm not convinced about our penalty, although from the footage, it did appear to be in the area.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I’ve only seen the highlights of this and heard the reports on Crawley. It did look a soft penalty. Certainly, I’ve seen many similar not given. With average finishing by our opponents, we could have lost both home games. We will have to play a lot better to beat the teams higher up the league. Even bottom of the table Rochdale managed to beat Stevenage today.

I am now convinced that the season is a write-off. I don’t think next season’s season ticket sales will do much more than pay contracted players. However, we could earn a lot by selling O’Connor, Hawkes and Bristow. That will pay for a lot of squad strengthening. If we can find a couple of strikers and unearth some more gems to replace them to afford new players, next season could be different.

Player
Manager
John King
However, we could earn a lot by selling O’Connor, Hawkes and Bristow. That will pay for a lot of squad strengthening. If we can find a couple of strikers and unearth some more gems to replace them to afford new players, next season could be different.
If we sell both Hawkes and Bristow, plus inevitably losing Cogley, we will lose virtually all of the genuine quality we have in the squad in the attacking areas. I doubt the fees received for those players would cover the cost of replacements, bring in a couple of good strikers, and go some way to covering the losses we are incurring.

There is nothing in our recent recruitment which suggests that the squad will be better next season if we lose all of the above players. We need to be very careful about the players we allow to leave, or next season could be a real struggle.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
An entertaining game between 2 closely matched sides. Overall we had the better chances but our finishing was poor. Merrie looked a little out if place on the right but apart from that the team selection was sound. The injuries to 2 of our most physical players was really unfortunate. At the end of the day we were unlucky not to take 3 points even with the injuries we sustained and without our best striker and most influential attacking midfielder. I think a little perspective is required. Connor played well and I'd have him back any day of the week providing we are L2 or lower. Respect.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Because he is the best we can afford.
I think his comparison to the NLN is overly harsh tbh. Apart from hitting the back if the net he has caused more problems for the opposition defence than any of our other attackers this season. We really need to see him alongside Kane for a period to make a real judgement.

Reactions: Boz
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
With average finishing ourselves, we could have won the game comfortably today.
Agreed, but that’s not my point. I was trying to say that if we play like that against teams in the top half we won’t get anything. Hence, we won’t get enough points to reach the playoffs. Considering we are just eight points (three wins) off the playoffs, it’s clear that with a half-decent strike force we’d be up there. We are not a bad side, just a rather toothless one.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
We do love getting croced players or players prone to it as for Harvy he needs shooting practise or just shooting having said that the rest of thr front line are no better

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Thats scary and they are putting prices up for next season to watch poor football

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
The Sky highlights were minimal and don't include the 'sitter' missed by Saunders. Aside from the penalty, the only other Rovers goal effort shown was when Saunders puts Burton through and he brings a save out of the keeper. I'd put it in the 'could do better' category, but it was not as good an opportunity as the one Saunders gave to Hemmings in the Doncaster away game, which was hit straight at the Donny keeper without any power.

I'm not convinced about our penalty, although from the footage, it did appear to be in the area.
For some reason the video yesterday couldn't deal with motion and stuttered throughout. I half watched it and saw the highlights. The injuries disrupted a solid unit bar the powder puff attack. Hendry was dominant in the middle and Merrie proved more evidence he has the best pass at the club.

Burton's header was very poor and a good chance, however his left foot effort was quite a wide angle. Saunders had a one on one and his execution could not have been worse. Your diagnosis of the Hemmings chance above, is incorrect. The ball came to his side with little power, he side footed with his left on the ground causing the keeper to dive and palm it away. The only thing I would want more would be to direct it nearer to the post, whether he could open his foot enough you cannot tell.
I've read Hemmings as guilty of back kicking a chance when it was behind him, the notion of options continue to baffle me and he has been criticised for heading crosses over when they were just too big. As happens at corners, the better ones, the ball is too high for an attacker to get on top of it and head into the goal. If the height becomes marginal defenders will try to squeeze you under the ball. I do worry when fans convince themselves of things which are technically incorrect.

I read comments yesterday that Hemmings should not come straight back into the team. Every other striker at the club either tries power or completely fluffs it. Another issue not often recognised they all have issues with playing the final ball in and Saunders never seems to even look for a better placed team mate. Most finishes are best placed with a side foot, they always have been. However good Hemmings is, he was an established tier 3 but is ageing, he is the only one at the club even attempting the basics.

Hawkes has come on, but his final ball can be poor and he looks to blast everything; his penalties are a miss waiting to happen. Saunders may hit a scoring patch through a confidence boost, his work is tremendous but he looks a striker most unlikely to strike. You know get the feeling that Mumbungo like Jamieson is on the bench despite the fact Mellon has planned to ditch them. People claim Burton does not get a chance with Mellon, I'd argue the opposite as I see him ending up in Warrington.

Before Xmas you suspected Joe was the only competent keeper since Davies, we now know that.
There was a decent back four with no back up, that remains the case
There was a competent midfield four and Lewis, that has been replicated with another competent midfield on top. T-C will never be effective when his good match was treated by benching him again.
Up front you still have one striker.

Imbalanced by design and the misfortune over injuries has really been quite lucky, imagine if they were defenders and not midfielders!!!!

Player
Manager
John King
I think his comparison to the NLN is overly harsh tbh. Apart from hitting the back if the net he has caused more problems for the opposition defence than any of our other attackers this season. We really need to see him alongside Kane for a period to make a real judgement.
It was a tongue in cheek comment, but his finishing has been extremely poor so far. Yes, he offers more in general play then Nevitt and he is a better footballer, but he does not remotely look like the natural goalscorer we desperately need, irrrespective of his striking partner.

Player
Manager
John King
I was trying to say that if we play like that against teams in the top half we won’t get anything.
Although we have beaten the top two in recent weeks by scoring a single goal with not too dissimilar performances. But no, we don't score enough goals to be serious promotion contenders.