• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Pools

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Hartlepool

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Pools
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, March 4, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, March 4, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Well for the third game in a row we’ve only managed a single goal and as said previously, we won’t keep a clean sheet in every game.

I think a draw was probably a fair result. We had a number of half chances but they could have won it in the end. Saunders worked his socks off but just looks nowhere near scoring. The chance in the first half was just asking to be lobbed over the keeper yet it was a poor finish. We weren’t helped losing experienced pros like Lewis and Walker and although there was plenty of effort, the quality was lacking in the final third.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I greatly admire those who spend their hard earned turning up every week! The ‘joys’ of being a dedicated fan! There have to be good times ahead!
Not a good day to publish the new season ticket prices. Entertainment lacking albeit better in the second half

Last edited:
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am happy enough with the point in the end, after conceding against the run of play and having to contend with the injuries to Lewis and Walker which disrupted us further. A draw was probably a fair result overall, as both sides created opportunities, and seven points from the last three games is a decent return. It was a decent performance overall and we showed good character in the second half. However, we missed numerous golden chances to secure three points and at risk of repeating myself, the forward line simply is not good enough to challenge for promotion. God knows what we would do without Hawkes.

Saunders missed a one v one after fifteen minutes, Burton another later in the half albeit with a slightly better attempt, Burton glanced a header wide after half time, Saunders looped one over in the closing minutes..... And so on.

There were certainly positives from the overall display, with Merrie, Hawkes and Bristow all having decent games and Turnbull imperious at the back again, as well as contributing in the attacking third in the closing stages. Turner-Cooke had his best game to date in a central midfield role and looked promising. However, if you can't stick the ball in the net you won't find the necessary consistency.

Mellon said the injuries to both Lewis and Walker are serious, which was evident in the ground, so we need Morris and Hemmings back ASAP.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
I greatly admire those who spend their hard earned turning up every week! The ‘joys’ of being a dedicated fan! There have to be good times ahead!
In fairness, we have had much worse times even in the recent past.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Nice to see Connor back and he had a very good game. You forget what a clever player he is. Good in possession and forced a good save from Murphy in the first half. Would gladly have him back

Player
Manager
John King
Nice to see Connor back and he had a very good game. You forget what a clever player he is. Good in possession and forced a good save from Murphy in the first half. Would gladly have him back
Yes, he was probably pumped up for the game, but he clearly offers more than Burton or Mumbongo. A better finisher than Saunders as well.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Injuries to Lewis and Walker both look serious according to Micky

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Not seen any of the action yet, but suggestion the foul for our penalty outside the box?

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Well, I got the result right, but I'm relying on us not being very good at putting the ball in the onion bag against the leakest defence this season (?)
Another frustrating afternoon, another missed opportunity, another poor game, another lack in skill levels. Another mid table end of the season match. Season tickets didn't bring me any respite.

it has to be better next season! If we are expected to pay more!

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Not seen any of the action yet, but suggestion the foul for our penalty outside the box?
It was never a pen Boz.
Close game, but I think they'll be most miffed at not taking 3pts. They score a nice goal from open play and we scored via a fortunate pen.
We had good chances as did they....in fact they missed two from an aggregate of about 3 yards.
Some decent performances for us and I think Hawkes shaded mom for me. Put a shift in and was clever going forward.

Reactions: Boz
Player
Manager
John King
It was never a pen Boz.
Close game, but I think they'll be most miffed at not taking 3pts. They score a nice goal from open play and we scored via a fortunate pen.
We had good chances as did they....in fact they missed two from an aggregate of about 3 yards.
Some decent performances for us and I think Hawkes shaded mom for me. Put a shift in and was clever going forward.
I don't agree with that. We deserved a point at the very least, as the match stats suggest. We missed two one v ones in the first half alone and should have been ahead prior to their goal, which was against the run of play.

The penalty was soft, but the defender leant on Saunders who otherwise would have been one v one with the goalkeeper (not that I am convinced he would have finished anyway).

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
I don't agree with that. We deserved a point at the very least, as the match stats suggest. We missed two one v ones in the first half alone and should have been ahead prior to their goal, which was against the run of play.

The penalty was soft, but the defender leant on Saunders who otherwise would have been one v one with the goalkeeper (not that I am convinced he would have finished anyway).
It wasn't a soft penalty. It wasn't a penalty. Sadly for our opposition the ref cocked up big time.
We missed one v ones. They missed two from a yard out.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
I actually said it was a close game.
Then I said if anybody was going to be miffed it would be Hartlepool given we got our goal via a pen that defo wasn't.
I provided evidence that they had as good as chances as us (to balance our one v one opportunities), and had scored a decent goal from open play.