• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Pools

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Hartlepool

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Pools
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, March 4, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, March 4, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It is another struggling side up next as Hartlepool visit Prenton Park.

Our visitors recently dispensed with the services of Keith Curle and appointed ex-Macclesfield manager John Askey, who kept Port Vale in the league from a similar position four years ago. A victory for Rovers would be some kind of belated revenge for the 4-1 mauling we received from his Macc team in 2017-18.

Hartlepool are in poor form and are near the bottom of both the six and ten game form tables, but will have been boosted by their late equaliser against Walsall last week, and like Crawley will surely scrap for their lives. Hartlepool's third goal in that game was scored by our own Connor Jennings, who will no doubt receive a warm reception. Pools have a few other decent players, including right back Jamie Sterry and midfielder Callum Cooke, but hardly have a squad brimming with quality.

It is very difficult to predict our own selection, particularly in midfield. Walker and Merrie both made a positive impact from the bench on Tuesday night, whereas Hendry had a poor game following an influential performance at Stevenage on Saturday. Neither Chalmers or Turner-Cooke have been particularly convincing, so will Mellon sacrifice the width of the side to bulk out the midfield ? It is difficult to guess. If Hemmings remains unavailable, I think Lewis will start up front with Saunders.

Hartlepool have a reasonable away following and after a couple of good results it should be a decent gate.

Prediction: another Rovers victory to maintain the momentum and narrow the gap to the top seven.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Pools don't have the squad quality of Crawley, but they do have some decent players. As well as those RLC names above, there's Umerah a big bustling centre-forward who can be a handful and likely to be back after missing the Walsall game as a precaution. Askey is a good appointment for them and his record at PP with Macc was fairly good. With a solid travelling support backing them, they are capable of making things difficult.

With Rovers, the easy bit is defence, unless the knock Turnbull picked up on Tuesday is a problem, unchanged there, although we need to ensure the full-backs can get forward more. In Micky's post-match, it was clear Hemmings is out for a few more weeks with the calf injury. Saunders will start again up front and if it's to be a two, probably paired up with Lewis again. It was unclear what formation we finished up with on Tuesday. If Walker is fit enough, he may start this one, following an impressive sub appearance v Crawley, while Hawkes is something of an ever-present and has been steady. Who else probably depends on whether its 442 or another formation, but on the evidence of recent games, none of Hendry, O'Connor, Merrie and the young loanees have made a compelling case for inclusion.

I'm inclining towards a draw.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
If we can win this, which we should do, what a great couple of weeks. We might be surprised by Hartlepool and there is danger of underestimating them but Rovers should be fresh and full of confidence. I still have no idea where the goals will come from but I would like to see Saunders getting off the mark as it's probably playing on his mind a little. I'm not a huge fan of Lewis but I can see him starting again. We will probably lack some creativity with Morris missing but I would like to see Walker in midfield as I think he is much better than his replacements and does not seem afraid to venture forward and cause problems.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
If we can win this, which we should do, what a great couple of weeks. We might be surprised by Hartlepool and there is danger of underestimating them but Rovers should be fresh and full of confidence. I still have no idea where the goals will come from but I would like to see Saunders getting off the mark as it's probably playing on his mind a little. I'm not a huge fan of Lewis but I can see him starting again. We will probably lack some creativity with Morris missing but I would like to see Walker in midfield as I think he is much better than his replacements and does not seem afraid to venture forward and cause problems.
I'd guess anyone returning now will do so via the bench, hopefully Hemmings will miraculously re-appear Mellon style.
The back five is the best of the season and holds few worries certainly no options.
I'd go O'Conner behind T-C, merrie, hendry, Hawkes and Saunders up front.
Would want to leave a valuable asset on the bench to fit another so-called striker in, I too struggle to imagine goals.
Tranmere should not have to be at full strength but I fear they are fatally flawed with imbalance.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I think after Tuesday we won’t under estimate Hartlepool. Crawley arguably deserved to beat us and we’ll need to be better on Saturday. I don’t think they’ll be many changes. Possibly Turner Cooke for the ineffective chalmers but I don’t think micky will make any other changes unless enforced.

whereas I didn’t think Lewis impressed on Tuesday micky did mention him post match in a positive light so I think he will start again. Saunders will be starting his 9th successive game for us and could do with getting off the mark.

At this stage of the season I’d take another scrappy home win if that’s what comes. Will be nice to see CJ back at PP who has been getting regular game time at Hartlepool

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
if we play as badly again, but i hope the Rovers team we all know turns up and plays the way we know they can let us hope we can score more than 1

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
as per norm, I can't be there with a wedding taking place so I hope its loads more entertaining

Player
Manager
John King
Micky has confirmed that Morris and Hemmings won't be fit in the 'immediate future'. I still think we will win quite comfortably on Saturday to be honest.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
As Boz says much will depend on the formation. For me the back five are nailed on.
However I'd prefer a midfield three:
Merrie, Walker(O'Connor) and Hendry
With workaholics-
Burton, Saunders and Hawkes across the front.
Bring T-C on later when they've been runn ragged by our energetic front three supported by a tight looking midfield.

2-0 Saunders and Jake.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king

Interesting. There is a lot more to a clean sheet than keeping, as gaining one against Tranmere at times is mainly due to no shots on target! Also there is a lot more to defending than defenders, the keeper can be the glue that marshalls the entire unit.
Over time clean sheets probably indicate a very solid unit especially when the team overall is not outstanding.
Murphy like Davies before him sets clean sheets records over seasons. I recall Davies was subject to abuse from sections of fans who clearly made their mind up and despite facts never changed them.
Fairly clear the recent two jugglers did not command themselves let alone the unit and sadly the current solution is short term. A new keeper is up there with new strikers.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Hartlepool have conceded 62 goals this season. 9 more than the nearest team.

God if we can’t score more than one tomorrow then we don’t deserve to go up!

Player
Manager
John King
Hartlepool have conceded 62 goals this season. 9 more than the nearest team.

God if we can’t score more than one tomorrow then we don’t deserve to go up!
Famous last words, but I don't think it will be as difficult as the Crawley game. We will be fresher and they don't have as much quality.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
My head says win..............
And so on.............

but I have a feeling about Connor coming back and doing something special!

still another draw that I know will be wrong......!!!!

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
well the last two games i had a bad feeling and we won so i have a very bad feeling about this game think it will be the worst of season let us pray