• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The squad

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Ohh yes, another goalscorer and one that isnt on his last legs. Excellent signing on paper, let's hope he fits into the team. If Cook and Norwood click there's a lot of goals between them.

He had contract offers from Barrow, FGR, Gateshead and Eastleigh. He choose us as he felt it was the right move for his career. Wise man Andy. SWA!

Hartlepool, Accrington, Crewe and Oldham also expressed an interest.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Also rumoured that Riley is on his way to Wrexham and Jennings has signed a new deal. It's all go tonight..

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think this is a great signing. The list of interested clubs Ian mentions above makes interesting reading: I would imagine all four will be competitors to us next season. FGR, Eastleigh and Barrow we know about, but it seems Gateshead have money to spend as well.

I share some of Sparky's concerns, but surely we will switch to 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 now ? At the Q and A, Palios said that Cook 'had not come here to play in midfield' (I just hope he has told Brabin !) and also mentioned the need to get more pace and width into the side to supply chances and goals, so I would anticipate a couple more signings in the attacking areas.

I do worry slightly that Norwood might not gel with Cook, and that Brabin might not be cute enough to accommodate them both.

drwhoman

A good signing particularly as he reportedly told the Barrow local paper that he would not sign for another National League side. He played with Hannah at Grimsby so the Barrow manager will be disappointed. As discussed elsewhere the keys now will be the signing of players able to give him ammunition and also the building of a rapport with Norwood. We cannot go on relying on one striker if we are serious about getting promoted, as we clearly are.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
I think we are all upbeat about this one.
But we were when the signing of Mangan was announced last season.
Let's hope this doesn't also end in tears

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I share Cowshed Kid's caution over this.

From what I've seen and read, Andy Cook is a steady reliable scorer, as demonstated at Barrow and Grimsby. However perhaps lacking an element of mental toughness, Mariners fans say he sulked and put on weight, when he fell out of favour there. Managed carefully he could prove an excellent signing.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Don't worry Boz, GB is an excellent man manager :confused:

Player
Manager
John King
I am still unsure whether norwood and cook can form an effective partnership. Norwood did OK alongside mangan but does not seem as comfortable when he plays with a traditional target man.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I am still unsure whether norwood and cook can form an effective partnership. Norwood did OK alongside mangan but does not seem as comfortable when he plays with a traditional target man.
You would think that after the Mangan episode, GB would be wary of making the same mistake - or would you?

M

Mal

Why do we have to turn a positive into a negative? We need to see what formation is used and how the team performs. We don't even know if both will play at the same time.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes Mal, too early to tell yet. At least he's on the books and we now have more options up front. I think we all agree - decent signing.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
There is no way Norwood will be warming the bench after last season. And no chance Cook will either given his exploits last season.

Hopefully as RLC says, we may see 4-4-2 with decent wingers at home. I still expect 4-5-1 away and rightly so given our away record last season. It's whether GB will change style at home. But early days yet

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Another defender leaves PP with Riley joining Wrexham on a one year deal. Will be interesting whether he gets more games than he did with us as I felt he was average at best.

So we've let Riley and holness go plus hogan has left. im assuming Sutton will still go which if Ihikwe doesn't sign, will leave us well short at centre back. I assume McNulty has no issues with his eye injury.

Player
Manager
John King
Funnily enough, I think Sutton might stay now. He is under contract, so ultimately it is our decision whether or not he goes. If we have a couple of solid defenders as back up for bigmac and ihiekwe I will be happy enough. We were overloaded in that area last season and next season's squad should be more balanced. Interestingly, I think Riley is wrexham's best signing so far. Most of their signings have been unknowns and they have lost a number of decent players as well. Palios talked about Steve last night but did not mention any long term injury concerns.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I hope McNulty will be OK. Massive player for us (no pun intended).

Few more players on the rumour mill. Ben Heneghan the Chester CB is apparently mulling over a deal although has lots of interest from Champ sides and Connor Jennings has yet to decide on a 2-year deal at Tranmere or go elsewhere with Cheltenham also interested.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Funnily enough, I think Sutton might stay now. He is under contract, so ultimately it is our decision whether or not he goes. If we have a couple of solid defenders as back up for bigmac and ihiekwe I will be happy enough. We were overloaded in that area last season and next season's squad should be more balanced. Interestingly, I think Riley is wrexham's best signing so far. Most of their signings have been unknowns and they have lost a number of decent players as well. Palios talked about Steve last night but did not mention any long term injury concerns.

Rumours for some time suggest Sutton will go to Barrow, whether true or not time will tell

Player
Manager
John King
On other matters, the Gateshead chairman claimed that we had a five figure bid for Ryan bowman turned down.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Interesting Twitter statement from Martin Riley. Not sure about the 'new director of football'??

Quote:
Thank you Tranmere Rovers. Thank you to Nicola and Mark for renting me their house and all the staff in the office for putting up with me. Thank you to the Gaffer and the coaching staff who have always treated me with the upmost respect and professionalism. Ultimately it became apparent I was never going to agree a new deal with the new Director of Football. A very frustrating season for all of us, but I am proud I can count Tranmere Rovers as one of the clubs I can say I have

Player
Manager
John King
This was mentioned by palios on Tuesday, but what his background is I am not sure.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
This was mentioned by palios on Tuesday, but what his background is I am not sure.
Very strange. Given that MP is a football man, I wonder why he has employed a Director of Football. What's his exact role? Does GB report to him or to MP? Nothing on the OS and presumably no name from MP at the Q&A, yet Martin Riley certainly knows him! Oh well, we are no worse than Man United for keeping fans informed.