• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The squad

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Right-back Liam Wakefield may be another target after his release from Accrington Stanley.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
You are not following that non-league rumours site are you Ian ?

I think we were linked with Messi on there. ;)

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
There is no Director of Football, Nicola Palios has confirmed on twitter this to be the case.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, I think they meant Mekki not Messi!

What is a director of football? Seems on odd comment to make that the director of football couldn't agree terms. I've certainly not heard that one before.

Player
Manager
John King
He seems to be more of a mediator or agent than a director of football. Brabin is still identifying the signings apparently.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
An agent would make more sense.

Player
Manager
John King
A few rumours doing the rounds at the moment.

The Cheltenham journalist who reported the transfer of James Jennings has said that Connor won't be staying at Wrexham, and appears most likely to sign for us.

More surprisingly, Zoumano Bakayogo has apparently been offered a contract by ourselves and Crewe and is weighing up his options. He would be a great signing, provided his injury problems have cleared up.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The Cheltenham journalist also seemed to rule out Connor joining his brother at the Robins. Wonder will the signing of Andy Cook reduce his chances of signing for us?

Zoum, I'd have reservations on age and fitness. Recent returns to Rovers by Iain Hume and to a lesser extent Jason Koumas didn't work out.

I'm a little concerned that existing players who've been made offers by the club, with the noteable exception of Scott Davies, haven't signed up yet.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The Cheltenham journalist also seemed to rule out Connor joining his brother at the Robins. Wonder will the signing of Andy Cook reduce his chances of signing for us?

Zoum, I'd have reservations on age and fitness. Recent returns to Rovers by Iain Hume and to a lesser extent Jason Koumas didn't work out.

I'm a little concerned that existing players who've been made offers by the club, with the noteable exception of Scott Davies, haven't signed up yet.

I think contracts usually don't expire till 30th Jun so maybe a little while yet till things get moving

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think contracts usually don't expire till 30th Jun so maybe a little while yet till things get moving
I'm not sure how significant 30th June is in practice. It hasn't stopped Andy Cook joining us. They can sign contracts ahead which start on 1st July. So I share Boz's concern about the lack of news about Mekki and the others. I expect their agents are hoping for better offers. My guess is that some will sign while others will move on. Thankfully we are now starting to offer longer deals which means that we won't have quite so much uncertainty this time next year.

Player
Manager
John King
From Palios's comments at the Supporters' Club AGM it sounds like we will keep most of the players we want to keep, so I am not too concerned. Most other clubs have not had responses from out of contract players either, so we are all in the same boat.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree with what BBTC says above. Some of those with offers must be thinking they can do better elsewhere either financially or in terms of career development, otherwise why not sign up and go off and enjoy the summer break?

From how Palios' remarks were reported, there appeared to be an assumption that the players we'd made offers to would by and large remain. To my mind, there's merit in an assume nothing approach. I got the feeling wrong assumptions were made about Danny Holmes last season, for example. MP suggested we'd only need to bring 5 players in, but given Riley and Hogan gone, even if Ihiekwe and Gumbs sign their deals we still need at least another central defender. If they don't, significant re-building at the back.

My fear is a re-run of last year, where we hadn't got a balanced squad by the pre-season and we ended up using the friendlies to sling trialists together in the hope that something might click. Gateshead have shown that it's possible to recruit decent players at this point in the year. Perhaps enforcing a firm cut-off point around mid-June, by which point those who haven't re-signed can be moved on and replacements recruited for pre-season.

Player
Manager
John King
I think people are getting het up about very little. Palios will know what stage contract negotiations are at with each player but he emphasised at the Q&A that the club is now giving no information away when discussions are ongoing, to adopt a more ethical and professional approach. Hence, the lack of news from the club. He could be lying but I think he is actually being straightforward. He will know whether - for example - Mekki has rejected our terms out of hand, or we are simply ironing out the final details. Why would it be in his long term interests to say we need five players if it is actually fifteen ?

The example of Holmes is cited, but that is the exception that proves the rule; one player we expected to stay, but didn't. We did not make the same miscalculation with any of the others.

I am not making excuses for Brabin, but we did have to rebuild completely last summer. Obviously, even if only 50 - 75% of the out of contract players stay there won't be the same turnover of players this summer.

The majority of Gateshead's signings have been players released by other clubs, not renewals of existing contracts.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'd expect most of them to resign. They won't be flooded with offers elsewhere.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Haha

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As others have hinted I'd be very surprised if Mekki left us. Before he came he never really did anything and even with us, in my view was good in some games, but faded in many and there are underlying issues around his fitness I think. Therefore I can't see there being a queue of clubs knocking at his door. Suspect any delay may be simply down to holidays etc or, perhaps GB has put something in this contract about his fitness....

Ihikwe although slightly more thought of by me, will I am sure stay but may have been wanting a 2 yr deal given he was a fixture in the side in the 2nd half of the season.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Another one stays on board......Steve Jennings today pens a one year deal for 16/17 season. Thoughts?

Player
Manager
John King
I am happy enough with this as Jennings was very good in the second half of last season. Despite the criticism he gets, I think he is better than either Harris or Maynard. Ideally I would like to see the latter moved on, Hughes signed permanently and another more creative midfielder brought in.