• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The squad

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Actually will be OK to have Jennings for another season as he's a good defensive midfielder having said that I still think we need more flair and creativity in midfield.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
1 year makes sense and I'm glad it's not 2. Jenno was excellent after Xmas so it makes sense to give him another year but he is getting on.

My concern tho is its still a fairly slow and static midfield with him and Harris. I'm assuming Maynard will stay and I'm not a huge fan of Hughes but even if we sign him and Mekki stays, along with Kirby, it's the same midfield as last season.

Still not enough goals in midfield as last season showed. Will it create enough for Cook?

Will Jenno retain the armband over Big Mac? I'm assuming he will.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
No complaints with giving Jennings another season. However Brabin must look again at the idea of playing him and Harris as the central pairing at home as there is no creativity with that combination.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
There was no mention of the captaincy on the website today, so I think the armband might be passing to Steve.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Any news on Big Mac?

Player
Manager
John King
Good news, as his partnership with McNulty will continue. As I had thought we would, we are keeping hold of most, if not all, of the players we wanted.

Reactions: Ian

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall with this one. Was Ihiekwe only offered a 1 year deal or was he only willing to sign for a year? I suspect the former, but we're unlikely to find out. Like BBTC, my preference would be for 2 years. However he worked well with McNulty and it's good we've got the same pairing for the coming season.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Well we know they perform well at this level and together at the back so good to have them continue this into next season. Now if we can just strengthen in midfield.

I think Ihiekwe was probably offered 1 year so as not to over commit as if we are promoted there's likely to be big changes.

Player
Manager
John King
I agree with Ian's comment about the length of Ihiekwe's contract, but I think it also says something about Brabin's attitude to younger players. Harris is no spring chicken but was offered two years, Ihiekwe only one.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
That may be true but I also think they are looking beyond next season and what players they would like to have tied in for 2 years based on their ability and contribution to the squad. GB obviously rates Harris. A 1-year contract says to me you'll be OK for next season but let's see where we are in a years time. Not a big asset to the club really. I'm probably disrespecting Ihiekwe with that comment who to be fair had a great second half of the season but I'm just using him as an example.

drwhoman

Fair comment Ian but this could also be looked at the other way. Michael is a relatively young man and it may be that if we do not get promoted next season he will try and better himself elsewhere. My general sense is that he has the ability to play at a higher level. Still he is signed which is the important thing. It would be good to get Vaughan re-signed and after that it is about a couple of key signings who will give us more attacking flexibility particularly at home. At least someone who can open up a defence. GTF could provide a good pass but not often enough and he was not mobile enough.

Player
Manager
John King
Connor Jennings signs ! Hopefully he will provide the extra creativity and goals we need, but it will be interesting to see how GB accommodates Jennings, cook and norwood.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I bet Norwood is fuming with another striker signing!! Given he prefers to play on his own and didn't like it when he had Higdon alongside him.

Along with Cook, on paper, this is a real coup for us. Wrexham wanted to keep him and no surprise given last season he was their:
1. Captain
2. Top Scorer
3. Player of the Year

I can't picture him but sounds like is perhaps more of a technical, number 10 type player. Although he has scored goals in his career, I think he got about 14 last season, several of these were penalties so my first guess is he'll play off Norwood or Cook in a 4-4-1-1 formation - but early days.

I just hope all the wage bill isn't going on front men when clearly the midfield needs more of an attacking threat. Maybe GB includes Norwood in that as an auxiliary winger.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
I agree that this looks like a very positive signing and despite concerns about too many forwards I, like Sparky, can see Connor playing off the strikers in hopefully a more attacking 4-3-1-2. At least we should see more goals this season with Norwood, Cook and now C. Jennings on board. It'll also be interesting to see who now gets the captain's armband.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Excellent. Another proven striker and it looks like we'll have our strongest forward line in years. Maybe GB is thinking about 4-3-3! We should score lots of goals next season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's certainly going to be interesting seeing what format we adopt to accommodate our new strikers. Lincoln were after Connor too. He brings more pace to the table than our other main pair. Things starting to get exciting.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
very good signing this a good player at this level and only 24 so can improve as well

Player
Manager
John King
I agree with French Rover that we are likely to play a 4-3-1-2 with Jennings behind the forwards. According to the Wrexham supporters the number ten role is his best position. As has been commented, just the presence of the new attacking trio should guarantee more excitement than we had last season. However, having so many options will present a big challenge to GB and man-management will be key. I also hope we are still looking to bring in a creative midfielder and possibly a wide player, as the service from midfield still has to be better than it was last year.

Without counting any chickens, with the squad we are putting together we will surely be able to challenge for top spot next season ? This is a great opportunity for Brabin, so let's hope he rises to the challenge.