• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2019-20

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think we should forget about Miller. Sounds like he's had it. Up top is were we will struggle but I guess we knew this after we sold Norwood. Maybe see how the first few games pan out then we go panic buy.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Haven't seen any pre-season games, so it's hard to be sure, but my current inclination is that it's going to be a survival battle with the squad as it now stands.

Defence: Lack of cover in the full-back areas is a concern. Woods was a very high-risk signing due to his injury record and is already injured again. Caprice is injured too meaning Nelson as a makeshift full-back. I'm a little surprised MM has gone for Monthe-Ray as his central defensive pairing rather than continuity with Monthe-Nelson. Crewe fans think Ray's basically sound, but prone to a few clangers. We won't see Ellis back until next year and I don't know if Spellman is good enough yet to merit a place on the bench as cover. We need to get in another Buxton type capable of playing anywhere across the back.

Midfield: Perkins has played to Championship level with Barnsley in his career and looked one of our fitter players last season,so no concerns for me in that respect. However atm, he's the only reliable tackler in that midfield and I'm unsure we get the most of him deployed more defensively. We haven't signed McCullough (yet) and he's unlikely to be match-fit until the end of the year if we do. Personally I'd have kept Jay Harris another year, but a tackling midfielder might be needed on a 6 month loan assuming McCullough will sign when fit, or we are in difficulty if Perkins is unavailable.
I agree with the concerns about wide players and when he recovers, wouldn't want to heap too much expectation on Blackett-Taylor. Will Walker-Rice progress to the level where he's worth a spot on the bench as another option here?

Attack: Sadly, writing off Miller, I don't see Payne, who lacks the work-rate performing a lone-striker role, while unsure if Mullin's got enough goals in him. No expectations for Ponticelli, so a lot will fall on Connor Jennings and that may be asking too much. We can't make do with the current options up front in my view.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree about the strikers, but I doubt we will sign (or really need) another central midfielder. Potter will play the holding role until McCullough is available.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree about the strikers, but I doubt we will sign (or really need) another central midfielder. Potter will play the holding role until McCullough is available.
I've not seen Potter for us, but he started life as a winger and seems to operate these days as a play-maker. Does he have the ability to get stuck in and make a tackle when required? He may understandably be wary, after an extended absence through injury.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I've not seen Potter for us, but he started life as a winger and seems to operate these days as a play-maker. Does he have the ability to get stuck in and make a tackle when required? He may understandably be wary, after an extended absence through injury.
He is not a tackler but he can read the game and do a job in that position. Perkins and even Banks are prepared to put a foot in and I think we have got enough midfield options to mix and match until McCullough is fit.

It would not make sense to me to go out and spend money on another midfielder when resources are limited and there is a more urgent requirement for bodies up front.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
He is not a tackler but he can read the game and do a job in that position. Perkins and even Banks are prepared to put a foot in and I think we have got enough midfield options to mix and match until McCullough is fit.

It would not make sense to me to go out and spend money on another midfielder when resources are limited and there is a more urgent requirement for bodies up front.
I agree that the priority is getting someone else in up front.

Certainly Perkins could fill a defensive midfield role, but if he wasn't available, I'd be wary of turning to Banks, who makes enough daft challenges when it isn't his main function. Gilmour seemed to attract some positive comment from his performance v Walsall, but from what I recall tackling wasn't a major part of his game.

The truth is we probably need about 4 more in, but the reality is we'll only get one or two loans.

ADD

Player
Norwood
apparently PNE are sending Josh Earl on loan and we are interested.... as is Bolton!!!

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Walsall officially confirm they have accepted a bid, silent as to who from though.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, strong rumours it is us. 75k apparently.

Player
Jonny Morrisey
Done deal.....I'm quite happy about this one, young and hungry and MM will be able to develop him

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Not a bad signing I guess. Only scored 6 last season in 39 appearances albeit in a poor team. He’s quick and strong but not a great finisher from memory.

We’ve now got a lot of strikers on the books: Ferrier, Payne, Ponticelli, Mullin and Miller

Last edited:
Player
ian goodison
I recall him playing for Walsall last season in a cup game thought he was going to cause a riot in front of the kop when they scored 1 of their goals, should be interesting

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We have a great manager in charge so let's hope he can get the best out of them.