• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2019-20

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Yeah, hope I haven't jumped the gun there. I thought it was Villa feed but it was EFL.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Rushian Hepburn-Murphy - confirmed signed and confirmed available for tomorrow. Will be interesting how many of the new signings slot in or else will be integrated over time - he has had a full pre-season as I understand it so fitness not an issue...
Also season long loan - I wonder if there is a requirement to play him a certain number of times?
Also just seen Ferrier's interview on Ifollow and I must confess I was pleasnanly surprised - yes may be a bit of PR going on but he seemed far more genuine and keen to learn from MM than I had expected..... BTW does anyone know how long he has been signed for?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Rushian Hepburn-Murphy - confirmed signed and confirmed available for tomorrow. Will be interesting how many of the new signings slot in or else will be integrated over time - he has had a full pre-season as I understand it so fitness not an issue...
Also season long loan - I wonder if there is a requirement to play him a certain number of times?
Also just seen Ferrier's interview on Ifollow and I must confess I was pleasnanly surprised - yes may be a bit of PR going on but he seemed far more genuine and keen to learn from MM than I had expected..... BTW does anyone know how long he has been signed for?

Contract length was one of the first things I thought of. Given we paid money for him I’m assuming it’s a 2 year deal

ADD

Player
Norwood
Just read this on a Villa site - now this sounds more like it!!! A club who aren't glad to see the back of one of our recruits!!
He is a young player with serious potential, and even if he doesn’t get opportunities this season, he can be a massive player for us in the near future.
As can Hepburn-Murphy, who is still the youngest player to play for Villa in the Premier League. After that maiden appearance at Sunderland, a lot of people thought we were seeing the second coming of prime Gabby, a young, quick, hungry player ready to take the club by storm. After not happening thus far, this season could comfortably be the one in which he etches his name on the first team scene. After a pretty successful loan last season at Cambridge, the 20-year-old is being tipped for another loan out again, but his performance in the pre-season clash at Walsall demonstrated his sheer talent that would arguably be wasted in Leagues One or Two.
Only coming on after 70 minutes, Hepburn-Murphy was deployed at left wing and had a serious impact, cutting in, getting frequent touches on the ball, beating his man, demonstrating blistering pace and obscene skill, and was dictating the game from wide, something that even Grealish struggled to do when played there. The touch with the outside of his foot to bring down Bjarnason’s searching diagonal pass was sensational, but his inexperience showed in the subsequent hesitation to get his shot away. As a left winger he looked unbelievable, and while it was only against League Two opposition, it takes some talent to make such an impact with just 20 minutes of game time.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Another good acquisition. Can't wait for the season to start again!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Contract length was one of the first things I thought of. Given we paid money for him I’m assuming it’s a 2 year deal
The rumour is it is two years.

Hepburn Murphy seems to be one of those modern 'attacking' players that can play out wide or up front. I don't want to heap too much pressure on him, but he certainly seems a really exciting signing from what we have read.

We are apparently also likely to bring in Jacob Maddox on loan from Chelsea next week, another wide player. He was Cheltenham's best player in both matches against us last season, skilful and tricky, and would be another good acquisition.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's encouraging that Hepburn-Murphy has had a good pre-season, as he appeared to disappoint during last season's loan spell at Cambridge.

Still need another defender. Josh Earl who we were linked with loaning is likely to end up on loan at Bolton instead. There's also a case for another tackling midfielder.

Player
Manager
John King
I have read elsewhere that Earl is likely to sign for us.

Hepburn-Murphy comes with a good reference from Villa so I would be wary of reading too much into his performance's in a seriously crap Cambridge side. Plus, he was their best player when we played them away last season.

drwhoman

There surely must be some money coming in from outside the club (by way of personal loan?) to pay for all these players? IIt makes me more confident that we can hold our own after sneaking promotion in May. (Not complaining!).

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I am very pleased but bewildered by this week's signings and the additional rumours above. It makes some of our earlier signings like Payne and Ponticelli seem unnecessary - unless Micky has suddenly received an unexpected windfall of funds. Is it his birthday this week?

ADD

Player
Norwood
I have read elsewhere that Earl is likely to sign for us.

Hepburn-Murphy comes with a good reference from Villa so I would be wary of reading too much into his performance's in a seriously crap Cambridge side. Plus, he was their best player when we played them away last season.
Sadly Earl has signed for Bolton yesterday subject to EFL approval which I understand is now given as they are playing their game tomorrow. Nonsense this as their first games will be with a bunch of kids so those playing them early have a massive advantage...

Player
Manager
John King
Sadly Earl has signed for Bolton yesterday subject to EFL approval which I understand is now given as they are playing their game tomorrow. Nonsense this as their first games will be with a bunch of kids so those playing them early have a massive advantage...
Fortunately that includes us !

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Seriously, the issues at Bolton and Bury could have a significant effect on League One this season. Obviously, if Bury are kicked out, there is the loss of gate income. If either team plays with a weakened team, it benefits them. Also, if an early game is postponed, the opponents miss a game and could lose match fitness as well as dropping down the league table temporarily. It's a mess that we have all seen coming for a long time, yet provisions don't seem to have been made.

Player
Manager
John King
Seriously, the issues at Bolton and Bury could have a significant effect on League One this season. Obviously, if Bury are kicked out, there is the loss of gate income. If either team plays with a weakened team, it benefits them. Also, if an early game is postponed, the opponents miss a game and could lose match fitness as well as dropping down the league table temporarily. It's a mess that we have all seen coming for a long time, yet provisions don't seem to have been made.
I don't think Bolton's current weakness is a major issue in the long term, as the strength of squads will always vary over the course of a season (look at our squad last season for example). I think you are just agreeing with my earlier comments that Bury should have been kicked out long ago. For what it is worth, there are demotions and expulsions quite regularly in the National League and that division still manages to operate.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I suppose you could understand the loaning side letting Earl go to notlob, as he'll be guaranteed gametime there, whereas might be behind Ridehalgh on the team-sheet for us. We still need defensive cover, given Caprice's absence and Woods' injury-strewn career.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Maddox season-long loan signing now confirmed. Very pleased for reasons above. When did we last attract a Premier League youngster on loan?

Player
Manager
John King
A decent player that gives us some additional width. Welcome to Prenton Park Jacob.