• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Would be surprised if Corbett rocked up at PP though as BBTC says an interesting career thus far.

It's suggested elsewhere that we are paying more for Apter in this loan spell, so unless more players move out no funds to bring anyone in. No idea of the accuracy of that, but if correct, was it the best idea to bring Rob back? He's a crowd pleaser and can help secure our FL survival., but the last two defeats have dented the slim prospect of a push for the play-offs. I'm ticking the undecided box for now.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
With the players who have all signed up to the end of the season today it looks like that might. Be us done what a sh##t window its been ssorry Ian but its cr#ptime dor bed food pics tomorrow

ADD

Player
Norwood
Adkins suggested the squad is not going to be added to in the window - his only concern was "not weakening the squad" although take that with a pinch of salt but it seems clear we won't be bringing in players unless we can get some out. He again mentioned 32 players as being too many for a L2 club which is a bit of a statement of the obvious!

Injuries wise, Norris is recovering well from his "ankle" operation - sounds therefore not a repeat of his metatarsal foot injury as was originally suggested . Belehouan did a bit of running on the grass for the first time today and Leake is the only other player still injured - no mention of how long he will be out for so a squad of 29 to choose from! I had typed I wasn't sure how many we can release at end January when their short term loans finish but then I saw we have extended 4 players to end of year rather than let go so I am guessing that we are targetting loaning out/ selling players on longer contracts.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Josh Hawkes turns 25 today. No longer a youngster in football terms. I can imagine he may want to leave for first team football but can we afford to let him go as he’s our best cover for Apter and Morris (although Nigel prefers McAlear away from home on the right)

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We'll soon find out in a few days! I can't imagine he'd want to be sitting on the bench taking 10 minute cameos but who knows..

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Josh has been unlucky. He was our top scorer last season but has suffered under the new regime and with the form of Apter. Unfortunately for Rovers, his market value must have plummeted in the last six months. If we can’t get a decent fee for him, we might as well let his contract run down. He will certainly be needed a lot as the season progresses.

ADD

Player
Norwood
We have got a player out on loan!! Only thing is he is a young lad I didn't even know we had!
Still fair play to Alex Brown a GK studying at the academy - a massive step up even if it is Level 9 on the pyramid... hope he does well!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
This has gotta be the quietest January transfer window for us in years
Agreed. Effectively nothing has changed. Apter is still with us and we have only “lost” one player, a young goalie no one has heard of going on loan to a team no one has heard of!

I can see the logic in not only saving money for the summer, given the size and strength of the squad, but also retaining players to retain team spirit and allow the youngsters to be fully assessed. However, I’m expecting a couple to go out on loan eventually (non-league has no transfer window) and perhaps a striker to come in tomorrow on loan.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
If you look at the situation, upcoming fixtures and where we are, it would seem to most that the season is more or less over.
Unless a target signing comes available, it would be logical not to spend money that will be used better in building the squad in the summer.
In December I thought we needed back up in the striker centre back position. Until we get the dead wood gone and start a more stronger smaller squad, can we be in with a chance next season.
But our lack of a professional based academy, will and is causing issues in recruitment. Far too many poor quality signings for this level.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree it’s been very quiet, though we’ve effectively lost Rhys Hughes too, loaned to Curzon for the rest of his contract.

Wonder what Rovers attitude would be for an approach for one of those out of contract in the summer, particularly if not a first team regular. Would we settle for a small sum now rather than let them go for nothing in the summer?

I find it hard reconciling Nigel’s comments on the squad being too big with the decision to extend 5 short term contracts to the end of the season.

Not expecting many if any additions, perhaps a loan player or two and given the manager has indicated he’s happy with the current squad I’ve no issue with that.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It was always going to be quiet unless a number of our squad players had interest elsewhere. As it is that probably isn’t the case. I suspect we’re still after another striker, perhaps a target man or someone with out and out pace but likely to be a young loanee from a league above.
Obviously if Hawkes leaves then we’ll need to bring a winger in as back up for Morris and Apter but we have 31 in the squad so not much room for more.

… we have only “lost” one player, a young goalie no one has heard of going on loan to a team no one has heard of!
We’ve had a relationship with Jersey for a few years now. We were going to have had our summer training camp on the island in 2021 before covid scuppered it, don’t know if a friendly with the Bulls would've been on the agenda but they’ve played friendlies with other EFL sides in their short history. Also, for example, their Head of Performance used to work at Rovers and one of their young keepers came over to train with us last year.

There’s some talent being developed on the island and a few young lads have signed for pro clubs in recent years. Incidentally, one of Marine’s top players, Sol Solomon, signed for them from the Bulls when he moved over here as a student at Liverpool Uni. Still only 22, he could certainly play at a higher level too.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I doubt there will be much activity in or out before the window closes, maybe 1 or 2 going but don't see many incoming

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
When Adkins was asked about activity in the transfer window his response was something like 'we are happy with the squad we've got'. So I don't expect much to happen. I don't think there are many options for us and no point spending more on players that aren't going to improve us just for the sake of it.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think the lack of activity is a consequence of Adkins asserting control.

I am sure that with the same squad, under previous managers, there would have been more ins and outs, not all of them successful deals.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think the lack of activity is a consequence of Adkins asserting control.

I am sure that with the same squad, under previous managers, there would have been more ins and outs, not all of them successful deals.
What a difference from the Micky Adams era, when our league position was not as bad. The players Micky bought in seemed to be no better than those he inherited, but the effect on team spirit must have been catastrophic. Nigel chose to back the players and rebuild their confidence. This took time but has worked wonders.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
MP made £300,000 of additional cash available in the January 2015 transfer window, and for all of his faults Adams probably felt under pressure to make changes.

By contrast, Palios talked about significant incomings and outgoings in his programme notes a few weeks ago, but Adkins has held firm and trusted his own instincts.

Status
Not open for further replies.