• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2023-24

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
He’s obviously impressed and was training at the club in September and October. My guess is he looks decent and it’s a low risk deal. In the summer I’m sure we’ll move on the likes or Merrie, Lewis and Rhys Hughes plus James Norris who’ll go back to Liverpool and can play in the middle. McAlear may leave too if he wants first team football even if we offer him a new deal. So for 24/25 we may need some new central midfield options especially as walker still does miss games.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Interesting pre-match interview with Adkins today.

Talks up the 3 college kids who played Tuesday but interstingly describes Taylor as an U21 player so clearly still not being considered by him - for me a decision that Adkins has made since taking over I think he has got wrong.

Belehouan, Starbuck both back partially training and looking for a BCD friendly after Stockport for them to get some match minutes. Luke Norris I wasn't sure he answered the question but hopefully not far behind. Realistically his fitness is only relevant for whether we offer him another contract now but even so would be great to have him back and available.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I find it surprising he spent 13 years as a youth player with Man United and at the age of only 22 he can't find regular game time in EFL.
It is a real indictment of EPL academy system. They hoover up nearly all the talent, but a very small percentage subsequently make a good living out of the game. None of the four ex-EPL academy players we took on in summer 2022 are going to make it as full-time pros.

This is one of the reasons why the EPL want to have B teams in the EFL. It's also a good reason why most youngsters would be better off joining an EFL club, where there is a much smoother and quicker transition to "adult" football.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
It is a real indictment of EPL academy system. They hoover up nearly all the talent, but a very small percentage subsequently make a good living out of the game. None of the four ex-EPL academy players we took on in summer 2022 are going to make it as full-time pros.

This is one of the reasons why the EPL want to have B teams in the EFL. It's also a good reason why most youngsters would be better off joining an EFL club, where there is a much smoother and quicker transition to "adult" football.
Don't get me started on this topic!

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Don't get me started on this topic!
Nor me.
It does work for the elite players, especially those who have been chosen for representative football. Or the few that make it in the top leagues. That is how it is designed.
Hence the move from reserve leagues to u23
Even at premier league clubs, the coaches know at u21, who are going to make it. Maybe at 18!
It is so wasteful and the big clubs are ignoring the calls to help those dumped by the system.

But at all levels, the overall majority of clubs in all home nations, the academy system, is the key to producing the level of footballers they want to have on their books.

Rovers are the odd one out!