• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
He’s obviously impressed and was training at the club in September and October. My guess is he looks decent and it’s a low risk deal. In the summer I’m sure we’ll move on the likes or Merrie, Lewis and Rhys Hughes plus James Norris who’ll go back to Liverpool and can play in the middle. McAlear may leave too if he wants first team football even if we offer him a new deal. So for 24/25 we may need some new central midfield options especially as walker still does miss games.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Interesting pre-match interview with Adkins today.

Talks up the 3 college kids who played Tuesday but interstingly describes Taylor as an U21 player so clearly still not being considered by him - for me a decision that Adkins has made since taking over I think he has got wrong.

Belehouan, Starbuck both back partially training and looking for a BCD friendly after Stockport for them to get some match minutes. Luke Norris I wasn't sure he answered the question but hopefully not far behind. Realistically his fitness is only relevant for whether we offer him another contract now but even so would be great to have him back and available.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I find it surprising he spent 13 years as a youth player with Man United and at the age of only 22 he can't find regular game time in EFL.
It is a real indictment of EPL academy system. They hoover up nearly all the talent, but a very small percentage subsequently make a good living out of the game. None of the four ex-EPL academy players we took on in summer 2022 are going to make it as full-time pros.

This is one of the reasons why the EPL want to have B teams in the EFL. It's also a good reason why most youngsters would be better off joining an EFL club, where there is a much smoother and quicker transition to "adult" football.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
It is a real indictment of EPL academy system. They hoover up nearly all the talent, but a very small percentage subsequently make a good living out of the game. None of the four ex-EPL academy players we took on in summer 2022 are going to make it as full-time pros.

This is one of the reasons why the EPL want to have B teams in the EFL. It's also a good reason why most youngsters would be better off joining an EFL club, where there is a much smoother and quicker transition to "adult" football.
Don't get me started on this topic!

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Don't get me started on this topic!
Nor me.
It does work for the elite players, especially those who have been chosen for representative football. Or the few that make it in the top leagues. That is how it is designed.
Hence the move from reserve leagues to u23
Even at premier league clubs, the coaches know at u21, who are going to make it. Maybe at 18!
It is so wasteful and the big clubs are ignoring the calls to help those dumped by the system.

But at all levels, the overall majority of clubs in all home nations, the academy system, is the key to producing the level of footballers they want to have on their books.

Rovers are the odd one out!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Mikey Davies joins Clitheroe on a months loan.

Hopefully helps his development. We’ve had a million left backs this season but Leake and Norris won’t be here next season and Wood is decent on his day but we’ll need back up in that area

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir

Hopefully helps his development. We’ve had a million left backs this season but Leake and Norris won’t be here next season and Wood is decent on his day but we’ll need back up in that area
I would think Leake or Norris are more likely to be here next season than Wood who I think will move back down south

drwhoman

Nor me.
It does work for the elite players, especially those who have been chosen for representative football. Or the few that make it in the top leagues. That is how it is designed.
Hence the move from reserve leagues to u23
Even at premier league clubs, the coaches know at u21, who are going to make it. Maybe at 18!
It is so wasteful and the big clubs are ignoring the calls to help those dumped by the system.

But at all levels, the overall majority of clubs in all home nations, the academy system, is the key to producing the level of footballers they want to have on their books.

Rovers are the odd one out!
I am not sure that big clubs just dump players. Liverpool have a manager whose job is to keep in touch with those who do not make it and to try and help them move on either in football or another career.That said, there is no question that these days the big clubs are alive to young talent much earlier than they have been in the past and therefore I suspect that the likes of Brennan, Irons etc would not have developed with Rovers today but would have been in a big club academy.Rovers are very close to the two Liverpool clubs and they will rarely miss any half decent kid.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume

I think he played most of their 2-0 win v Vauxhall Motors today under the alias Michael Davies.
Unclear if he is someone who can step up or just given a contract to meet home grown requirements. If Wood does leave, we'd need to find another first choice left-back, but unsure if Mikey good enough to be cover and first reserve. Think Belehouan can play left-back too so we might see something of him there before the season ends.

Incidentally at least 4 players in the losing Vauxhall side had been on Rovers' books. Jake Kirby and Mitch Duggan played for the first team, George Nugent in the Pizza Cup amd Ethan Gouldbourne.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think Wood is actually quite likely to stay, but both Norris and Leake will leave.

I would be surprised if Davies makes it here long term. He does not really seem good enough from what I have seen of him.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Ben Hockenhulls loan at Southport extended till end of the season so that will be the end of him with us then

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
No idea who is in contract over the summer. Pretty sure LOC can leave and may well do, McGee is under as is Walker, not sure on the rest.

We basically need two elevens with cross positional covering, maybe 25? Exclude Davies or any new youngster as low cost and not ready.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Under contract Mcgee Davies Walker Hendry Jennings Taylor Dennis. Options on Turnbull Morris Hawkes Jolley Kane and I think possibly McAlear.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Under contract Mcgee Davies Walker Hendry Jennings Taylor Dennis. Options on Turnbull Morris Hawkes Jolley Kane and I think possibly McAlear.
Turnbull option I read has supposedly been exercised already. Doubt that many of the others will get an extension. Kane no idea has he played any minutes other than the BCD friendly? Assume we will let Dennis go if he can find another club so not a blank sheet of paper but plenty of scope for a smaller but better quality squad than this season's bloated effort.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
If we could let all the forwards go not including jennings i would. Saunders offers little next to nothing apart from his speed. He is just not a goal scorer jolly is a non LG player at best Dennis quite clearly doesn't fit into Nigel Adkins plans Norris looks like he is taking it easy not to get injured again as he knows he is out of contract in the summer. Says everything when when your wingers are out scoring your forwards

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Lets put it this way. Saunders. Jolly. Dennis and Norris have scored a combined 11 goals in 97 games this season. Apter and morris have 19 in 70 games. And connor has more tgan the lot of them in 38

• Wow
Reactions: Ian

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
If you need two players a position and some cross coverage. Norris needs a like for like cover, maybe just a giant to come on late like a Matt who we missed out on. Dennis, Jolley, Saunders and Taylor can play in the other place in the 2 of 442. Jenno can play in the second 1 of 4411 and obviously can do jobs elsewhere. So possibly an exit up front?
The midfield four are great but Apter leaves, we won't replace without a loss in quality there. McAlear looks a replacement for Walker possibly. For Hendry we have no one. Morris maybe Hawkes but Saunders offers better value as a utility, anyone who sees Hawkes as anything central is seeing stuff I am blind to.
The back five is fine maybe Wood dropping to cover to an import. Yarney is a stretch looks Non-lge. Pike maybe
I'd guess Jolley, Hawkes might go along with most of the also rans. 8-9 to come in. I could see Jolley doing well off a centre forward though
Nigel might argue his form is on the verge of top three, but it can't be argued that a big part of the 32 have had zero influence on that.

It was a stroke of genius not starting Norris, the pace and width of the game wouldn't suit him. That said him and Dennis look a threat when coming on, if they get a sniff they are likely to score.

Status
Not open for further replies.