• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Actually as a fill in probably not too bad but I'd rather he wasn't playing regularly. Id be quite happy if we managed to sign Hendry as I'm sure there will be quite a few offers for his services.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Actually as a fill in probably not too bad but I'd rather he wasn't playing regularly. Id be quite happy if we managed to sign Hendry as I'm sure there will be quite a few offers for his services.
Yes only a one year deal and I doubt merrie is a big earner. Not sure we’ll get promoted with him a regular in the midfield but time will tell. It may be that we wanted to keep him if OConnor is going to be at RB

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think O'Connor might leave, particularly now that Merrie has re-signed. We are a bit overloaded in midfield at the moment and will probably have to move somebody out to bring in Hendry, or another creative midfielder.

Reactions: Boz

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think O'Connor might leave, particularly now that Merrie has re-signed. We are a bit overloaded in midfield at the moment and will probably have to move somebody out to bring in Hendry, or another creative midfielder.
O'Connor, Lewis, Merrie, Walker and McAlear so would think at least 1 of them will leave, could also include Hughes though not sure he's a central midfielder

ADD

Player
Norwood
O'Connor, Lewis, Merrie, Walker and McAlear so would think at least 1 of them will leave, could also include Hughes though not sure he's a central midfielder
Pleased about Merrie - I think he is perhaps undervalued and in a team looking to play more attacking football will do better as he has an eye for a pass.

Walker will likelly be injured so best to exclude from the list perhaps;). McAlear based on reports from those that have the masochistic tendencies to watch Scottish football as well as us appears to have done very little whilst on loan so I wouldn't be surprised if we tried to terminate his contract mutually or else offload him.

Reactions: Boz

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Mentioned elsewhere that Merrie on crutches at the Northampton game, suggested he might not be fit to start the season, so suppose in that context a shorter contract makes sense.

Pleased with this news. Merrie can pick a pass, Walker is the other of the current midfielders who has an eye for a longer pass to open things up. Hendry, who hopefully we will sign tends to play shorter passes and to get the full benefit of his creativity is best deployed in a fairjy advanced position.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, it's disappointing how McAlear's season fizzled out. He's still young though and maybe with a bit more coaching and encouragement can get his career back on track.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Mentioned elsewhere that Merrie on crutches at the Northampton game, suggested he might not be fit to start the season, so suppose in that context a shorter contract makes sense.

Pleased with this news. Merrie can pick a pass, Walker is the other of the current midfielders who has an eye for a longer pass to open things up. Hendry, who hopefully we will sign tends to play shorter passes and to get the full benefit of his creativity is best deployed in a fairjy advanced position.
According to the OS Merrie will be fit enough to start training early July

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I've heard a rumour that we now have a scout permanently placed at Arrowe Park Hospital and are thinking of extending the network to some of the major NHS Trusts in London. Apparently it's part of a new development model, but I'm not sure how much truth there is in it...

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I've heard a rumour that we now have a scout permanently placed at Arrowe Park Hospital and are thinking of extending the network to some of the major NHS Trusts in London. Apparently it's part of a new development model, but I'm not sure how much truth there is in it...
Ha ha, ONIGP. With all the injuries we’ve had in recent years requiring lengthy treatment and numerous operations, I’m surprised we have not been officially sponsored by the NHS. ;)

Last edited:

overthewater

Player
chris malkin
Pleased about Merrie - I think he is perhaps undervalued and in a team looking to play more attacking football will do better as he has an eye for a pass.

Walker will likelly be injured so best to exclude from the list perhaps;). McAlear based on reports from those that have the masochistic tendencies to watch Scottish football as well as us appears to have done very little whilst on loan so I wouldn't be surprised if we tried to terminate his contract mutually or else offload him.
McAlear "offers nothing, looks unfit and interested" according to one poster on an Ayr Utd forum

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I still think Hendry offers more creativity than Merrie and we need a better creative option in midfield. We also need more goals from the centre of midfield, which is something that Merrie certainly does not offer.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Just thought I'd post the latest situation as I understand it. Here is a list of players currently under contract and when those deals expire. As we are all obsessed about the age of the players, I also show their age on the first day of next season. Murphy and JDC are in discussions with the club. I think Joe will stay but for Josh to re-sign would be a feather in Ian's cap. The club has an option to extend Ethan, Jordan and Kieron's deals next summer, assuming they are still here. I'll try to post updates occasionally, so we can all see how things develop during the summer.

age at​
2023/24
05/08/2023​
Current contract expires​
GoalkeeperJoe Murphy41
Jun-23​
DefenderTom Davies31
Jun-25​
DefenderJosh Cogley27
Jun-23​
DefenderBen Hockenhull21
Jun-24​
DefenderEthan Bristow21
Jun-24​
DefenderJordan Turnbull28
Jun-24​
MidfielderKieron Morris29
Jun-24​
MidfielderChris Merrie24
Jun-24​
MidfielderJosh Hawkes24
Jun-24​
MidfielderPaul Lewis28
Jun-24​
MidfielderLee O'Connor23
Jun-24​
MidfielderReece McAlear21
Jun-24​
MidfielderBrad Walker
27​
Jun-25​
MidfielderRhys Hughes
21​
Jun-24​
AttackerCharlie Jolley22
Jun-24​
AttackerKane Hemmings32
Jun-24​
AttackerHarvey Saunders26
Jun-24​
AttackerSam Taylor19
Jun-25​

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Thanks BBTC.

What sticks out is the important players whose contract is up next season including Bristow, hawkes, turnbull and Morris.
The first two in particular will have interest so are we offering them new contracts now? Or extensions? Or are we not financially in a position to do this.
We could next year lose hawkes for free and the same for Bristow as although we may get a few due to his age it won’t be anything special

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Thanks BBTC.

What sticks out is the important players whose contract is up next season including Bristow, hawkes, turnbull and Morris.
The first two in particular will have interest so are we offering them new contracts now? Or extensions? Or are we not financially in a position to do this.
We could next year lose hawkes for free and the same for Bristow as although we may get a few due to his age it won’t be anything special
I think the first 2 will be sold this summer along with O'Connor and possibly a couple of others

Status
Not open for further replies.