• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Particularly as they've brought Adkins in to help with the recruitment process.....we'll just have to wait and see, and hope things start happening sooner rather than the customary later.

overthewater

Player
chris malkin
The problem we have that is that other clubs can offer more money so targets we have are unlikely to commit to us early (if at all), for fear of missing out on a better offer from elsewhere. We know Mansfield are well backed so Calum Macdonald - just as an example - will have felt that he's unlikely to get better offers, so has been willing to commit to them this early (his being from the area will have helped too). Same could apply to Jamie Sterry, as Doncaster is less than 100 miles from Hartlepool

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes and having Adkins is all well and good with his positivity and ability to impress potential signings, but at this level money talks for players who have a short career and don’t earn life changing figures in league two, unless Wrexham are paying of course

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Also we have to remember the data that they use on our magnificent team last season must be checked to get the right players in like we did last season with the forward line they where fabulous then i woke up with my head in the cornflakes just same old rovers and it's not going to change we will have 2 days when 5 or 6 players will come in then litter er and little there

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Off topic, but Luton Town promoted to the Premier League only nine years after leaving the National League, and eight years after our last meeting in the fourth tier.

An incredible achievement and just shows what can be achieved with effective leadership.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Off topic, but Luton Town promoted to the Premier League only nine years after leaving the National League, and eight years after our last meeting in the fourth tier.

An incredible achievement and just shows what can be achieved with effective leadership.
A fantastic achievement by them, fair play

Player
Ian Goodison

And Kenilworth Road is smaller than Prenton Park

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Fantastic promotion but I'll be amazed if they aren't bottom of the PL next May. Their situation highlights the gap in finances between levels quite starkly. The miracle of being (allegedly) the 18th richest club in the Championship surely cannot be replicated into EPL?

Player
Manager
John King
I don't think it is certain that they will be relegated. Their income will increase exponentially now that they are in the Premier League and have access to TV revenues, and the relative wealth of their owners will actually be less significant than it was at lower levels.

The real miracle has already happened. In the Championship they were competing against numerous clubs either in receipt of parachute payments or bankrolled by overseas owners (or both), and I think their survival next season would actually be less of a shock than their promotion.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
In the end, it is the quality they sign, will be the biggest significance to prevent relegation. Whether they and the other two promoted clubs can bring in the numbers of high quality necessary.
The gulf is definitely getting wider, those Luton players on show yesterday were overall not premiership quality.
We will see!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Stockport having lost the play off final on penalties will no doubt throw a lot more money around next season

Player
Manager
John King
Carlisle were deserved winners from what I saw of the game.

Interesting that Challinor could not match Micky's back to back promotions despite spending far more money.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Plenty of rumours going around, Regan Hendry, Connor Jennings and Luke Norris are 3 names supposed be signing

Reactions: Ian

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Norris seems to have improved considerably at Stevenage, before that his strike rate wasn’t great and as we already have forwards who are capable of bringing others into the action goal scoring ability is key. He’d be a good signing but hasn’t ventured north in his career yet.

Player
Manager
John King
I think Norris is also much more physical and more of a handful than any of the strikers we currently have.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Plenty of rumours going around, Regan Hendry, Connor Jennings and Luke Norris are 3 names supposed be signing
I think Hendry would be a good signing, but I expect we will have competition. If not, I would expect his arrival to be announced already. Connor won't be the player he was when he left us, but if both parties agree, I'd be happy to see him back. I am surprised Stevenage let Luke Norris go, but have the money for better as a League One club. He'll have plenty of more attractive suitors than us. Like Boz, I can't see him coming north, unless he's a big fan of the Beatles. ;)

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Would like to see Connor back - more in terms of strengthening the bench though for hopefully not a lot of money.
If Norris can score the goals and add physicality it would be just what we need.
Off piste - if JDC and Bristow go, what is Caprice doing now, and would he be one consideration?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
what is Caprice doing now, and would he be one consideration
I think he still has a year let at Exeter and has settled in well since leaving Rovers.

Status
Not open for further replies.