• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Hemmings has lost a yard of pace which he won't get back, his career is on a downward spiral, I hope we can move him on and bring in another striker
I doubt we can afford to keep Hemmings and Dennis anyway.

drwhoman

I wonder if there is any news on the possible signing of a decent goalkeeper? That must surely be another key target. I suspect that there will be a few young keepers released by the large clubs but we probably need an experienced pro to shore up the defence.

Player
Manager
John King
On countless occasions this season we saw Bristow or Cogley fire balls across the eighteen yard box which were not attacked by the forwards.

Dennis would thrive on that kind of service but, ironically, the two full backs will probably both leave this summer, so we will have to find a plan B if we are going to supply him properly.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I wonder if there is any news on the possible signing of a decent goalkeeper? That must surely be another key target. I suspect that there will be a few young keepers released by the large clubs but we probably need an experienced pro to shore up the defence.
The lad Tyrer who had a good loan spell at Chester May have his parent club Everton looking for a national league club or league two to further his development.
Personally I’d prefer a more experienced keeper but it’s arguably as important as the striking additions

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
I doubt we can afford to keep Hemmings and Dennis anyway.
I'd like to see him stay and see how he goes in a stronger squad.
Presumably if we're bringing in another to replace him it'll be on a fair bit less money given doubts re affording Kane and Dennis.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Are we not putting much hope in Saunders?

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
I think he could have a good season this year with Dennis the menace but I still think we need another forward and not kane

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Are we not putting much hope in Saunders?
It depends in what capacity. The evidence from last season is that Saunders won’t be prolific, but his pace and energy will be useful and he can make things happen. Might be deployed more in a wider role.
If Hemmings goes, we’ll definitely need another forward, as Jolley and Taylor are both relatively inexperienced.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
This is a clever move. For once we are hitting the ground running with our recruitment, rather than waiting for the bargain basement to open. I can’t remember many signings in early June, particularly marquee ones like this. I had feared we would sell before signing anyone, as we did in January, so this move shows ambition.

I expect Dennis is the best we could afford as he’s quite old and would accept a two year deal for a little less money. On the plus side, he had a very good season (top scorer, players’ player and played a full season). He does not appear to be injury prone. He adds seniority and experience to the squad. On the negative is his age and his record with some earlier clubs. However, I am excited by him and as RLC implies, I wonder what difference he would have made last season. Perhaps it would have been us going up instead of Carlisle.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
This is a clever move. For once we are hitting the ground running with our recruitment, rather than waiting for the bargain basement to open. I can’t remember many signings in early June, particularly marquee ones like this. I had feared we would sell before signing anyone, as we did in January, so this move shows ambition.

I expect Dennis is the best we could afford as he’s quite old and would accept a two year deal for a little less money. On the plus side, he had a very good season (top scorer, players’ player and played a full season). He does not appear to be injury prone. On the negative is his age and his record with some earlier clubs. However, I am excited by him and as RLC implies, I wonder what difference he would have made last season. Perhaps it would have been us going up instead of Carlisle.
I doubt we would have gone up as we didn't score enough goals from elsewhere except Hawkes and didn't create enough.
Orient the champions top scorer had 10 goals the same as Josh Hawkes yet Andy Cook got 28 and Bradford didn't go up.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I doubt we would have gone up as we didn't score enough goals from elsewhere except Hawkes and didn't create enough.
Orient the champions top scorer had 10 goals the same as Josh Hawkes yet Andy Cook got 28 and Bradford didn't go up.
We’ll never know, Mart. But we lost a few games narrowly after missing early chances. Three or four 0-1 defeats turned into 1-0 wins would have made all the difference. It could have turned a dispirited team into a confident one.

Salfordwhite

Player
Michael Ricketts
Does anyone know when Charlie Jolley will be available, i would rather give him another opportunity instead of bringing in another Michael Higdon.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Does anyone know when Charlie Jolley will be available, i would rather give him another opportunity instead of bringing in another Michael Higdon.
He’s available for the start of pre season so hopefully can stay fit. He’ll be way down the pecking order though unless someone like Hemmings leaves

I expect Dennis is the best we could afford as he’s quite old and would accept a two year deal for a little less money.
In this farewell interview for BBC Cumbria Dennis does say he’d have been financially better off staying at Carlisle. Moving closer to home was one of the things that appealed.

ADD

Player
Norwood
In this farewell interview for BBC Cumbria Dennis does say he’d have been financially better off staying at Carlisle. Moving closer to home was one of the things that appealed.
Thanks for that. Interesting I thought that Dennis said he hadn't talked to Adkins - only Dawes who he met at the Campus and was impressed by it. He is an excellent signing and a great start to the Dawes/ Adkins era. Hopefully this indicates a focus on quality rather than quantity as despite him saying he would have been better off if he stayed at Carlisle he won't have come cheap.

Player
Manager
John King
It is probably about time Dawes obtained his pro-licence considering he has already been coaching here for three years.......

If Adkins is not speaking directly to potential signings I think his role remains slightly opaque. I don't believe the spin about players signing after being 'impressed by Dawes' as similar comments were made by new arrivals in the Jackson era, when there were doubts regarding the credentials of the new manager.

Still, Dennis is a very good signing and is evidence of the manager being backed early in the transfer window, which certainly did not happen in the previous two summers.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The Daily Record has linked us and Barrow to Dean Campbell 22 defensive midfielder at Aberdeen, he played on loan at Stevenage last season.
Would be announced odd signing as we have several already for that position

Status
Not open for further replies.