• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I see the point. His history with us was not good and he needed to go somewhere else. Still. He is a capable footballer and will do well if he stays fit. See what happens!
He ended up having an operation on his hamstring which may have sorted his problems out

drwhoman

He ended up having an operation on his hamstring which may have sorted his problems out
Fair comment. Let us hope so for his sake. Must have been soul destroying that his second stint with us finished so abruptly.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Paul Lewis linked with a move to joining Micky at Oldham

Reactions: Ian

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I didn't get the impression Micky was that keen on Lewis, so a bit surprised. Nigel seems to like him, although probably one of the least popular of the current squad with the SWA.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
I didn't get the impression Micky was that keen on Lewis, so a bit surprised. Nigel seems to like him, although probably one of the least popular of the current squad with the SWA.
Micky wanted to sign him before he left, Jackson did. Micky re-signed him, Dawes, Hill and Adkins picked him. I can see he is a solid pro just not my choice of player, but I am outnumbered!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Micky wanted to sign him before he left, Jackson did. Micky re-signed him, Dawes, Hill and Adkins picked him. I can see he is a solid pro just not my choice of player, but I am outnumbered!
I think in the right team with the right set up and position he can be a decent league two player. He did well at Northampton previously and a bit like Ryan Watson perhaps (ironically another scouser), it just hasn’t worked out At Tranmere. He could do well in the national league though.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
I think in the right team with the right set up and position he can be a decent league two player. He did well at Northampton previously and a bit like Ryan Watson perhaps (ironically another scouser), it just hasn’t worked out At Tranmere. He could do well in the national league though.
I doubt he has a long term future along with Saunders and nearly all our full backs, but Nigel has found a use for some of these. Lewis is just an injury in CM away from coming off the bench most weeks. Clearly he is preferred to Merrie and Hughes.
I think he will find another club, but this rumour is purely off a gobshite on twitter who keeps calling Palios to sell. Micky may well come for some of his previous signings but little evidence so far

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The midfielder Oldham have signed from Forest has a decent pedigree but is 21 and had a few games during his loan spell at Cheltenham. Sounds more like a bench player than immediate starter on Micky’s past approach to younger players, so they may be out for another more experienced midfielder too.

Not sure how accurate DBs comments on Mellon/Lewis are. Micky was manager when he got a New Year hat trick for Macc against us, but Paul came to the club under Jackson and there was a suggestion that Vaughan/Dawes were the main movers of his return. He wasn’t an ever-present in the side when available under Micky last season.

Think Nigel likes having big units in his team, either height, bulk or both and Lewis ticks the first box. His best games for Rovers have been when deployed in a more attacking role. I actually think Merrie and Hughes are technically better players than Lewis, but Merrie can’t score and Hughes rarely tackles, whereas Paul Lewis does both. For that reason would be a little surprised if he moves on now. As one of the reported higher earners, not sure we should be re-signing when his current deal runs out though.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Think Nigel likes having big units in his team, either height, bulk or both and Lewis ticks the first box. His best games for Rovers have been when deployed in a more attacking role. I actually think Merrie and Hughes are technically better players than Lewis, but Merrie can’t score and Hughes rarely tackles, whereas Paul Lewis does both. For that reason would be a little surprised if he moves on now. As one of the reported higher earners, not sure we should be re-signing when his current deal runs out though.
Yes, I agree completely with this. For the same reason Nigel prefers McAlear to Merrie, despite the fact the latter is probably the better player on the ball.

Merrie is a bit unlucky to have been frozen out. He has offered more in his Rovers career than McAlear, and arguably Lewis also.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Rhys Hughes extends his loan till the end of season at Curzon Ashton, I doubt he will be here next season.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The latest transfer rumour links us with resigning Manny Monthe. The big man will have affection for the club and is after first team football. it’s unlikely he’d displace Turnbull or Davies and although his odd cameo at left back was ok we’ve got enough of them. Unless of course Turnbull fancies a move away from the club (not sure if he’s out of contract this summer)

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
There was a suggestion on one of the other forums that Turnbull had already signed his option to extend his contract with Rovers.
I'm unsure that Monthe coming back would be a good idea. Although we do have to look at cover for Davies and Turnbull. Given the plaudits he got at Oldham, Yarney has been a tad disappointing with Rovers.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
The latest transfer rumour links us with resigning Manny Monthe. The big man will have affection for the club and is after first team football. it’s unlikely he’d displace Turnbull or Davies and although his odd cameo at left back was ok we’ve got enough of them. Unless of course Turnbull fancies a move away from the club (not sure if he’s out of contract this summer)
No! Please no!
For many footballing reasons.
A nice guy but.............No!

I don’t know how credible this source is but it’s linking us with Peterborough forward Kai Corbett:

Plays anywhere across the front line and is deadly at set pieces, according to his Posh bio. But he’s only played once for them..

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I don’t know how credible this source is but it’s linking us with Peterborough forward Kai Corbett:

Plays anywhere across the front line and is deadly at set pieces, according to his Posh bio. But he’s only played once for them..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kai_Corbett

An interesting CV. I have never known a player who has been with six clubs as a junior! He moved to Posh for first team football but has only played once in 2.5 years, so is after a move. Why so many clubs as a junior and why no first-team games for over two years? He's a bit of a gamble but if we could take him on loan until the end of the season with an option to buy, that should suit all parties. If we haven't abandoned or development policy, he might be a candidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.