• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwhoman

11pm today is the deadline for permanent and loan signings, after that only players without a club can be signed ie free agents. Think Glatzel still few weeks away from full fitness so won't be available straight away
Thanks bigmart. I agree re immediate availability but I would be happy if he was on board.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
If he stays fit he could be a real asset. Perhaps I’m a glass half empty person but if him and mumbongo struggle for fitness given the rough and tumble of league two we’ll have no back up apart from Burton

Reactions: Boz

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
If he stays fit he could be a real asset. Perhaps I’m a glass half empty person but if him and mumbongo struggle for fitness given the rough and tumble of league two we’ll have no back up apart from Burton
Yes we would be light up front

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Delighted with signing of Glatzel. A lot of the hard work has already been done in terms of acclimatisation to L2 football. There is of course the potential for disappointment but let's hope his injuries are now behind him and he can kick on. At this level he is a "game changer" in both the broad and narrow senses of the phrase.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Delighted with signing of Glatzel. A lot of the hard work has already been done in terms of acclimatisation to L2 football. There is of course the potential for disappointment but let's hope his injuries are now behind him and he can kick on. At this level he is a "game changer" in both the broad and narrow senses of the phrase.
Yes good point ONIGP. League two defenders won’t be a surprise to glatzel so that is a positive. Let’s hope he is fit as my guess is he won’t have played much football since last season

ADD

Player
Norwood
Good news re Glatzel!
Assume it is a loan with us paying little of his salary and then a perm in January (if he stays fit) or else if he does really well and more importantly stays fit Liverpool recall him in January and sell him on somewhere else given they will get nothing if his contract is simply wound down.
For us but also for the lad himself who has had such rotten luck I just hope he can stay fit!

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Good news re Glatzel!
Assume it is a loan with us paying little of his salary and then a perm in January (if he stays fit) or else if he does really well and more importantly stays fit Liverpool recall him in January and sell him on somewhere else given they will get nothing if his contract is simply wound down.
For us but also for the lad himself who has had such rotten luck I just hope he can stay fit!
It is a season long loan.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Morris should be in squad in next couple of weeks Davies in protective boot which comes off next week both according to Micky
I believe that Morris is now "back running on grass". Once the self medication stops he can focus on the next phase of his recovery...

ADD

Player
Norwood
It is a season long loan.
Yes I know it is but he can be recalled in January and equally it could be changed to a perm in January which I assume is what we are after if he stays fit....
Liverpool will get nothing if it is just a season long loan and he becomes a free agent after as they would have to offer him another contract at least as good as he has now which they won't want to do.
Would be great to think Liverpool are doing a massive favour by paying most of his salary for the whole year and allowing him to walk away without a sell on fee but I have my doubts they are that generous :)

ADD

Player
Norwood
Alan Nixon just posted Shrewsbury have made late move for Nevitt

Interesting that Micky said we’re trying to “shift and shape a few things around” today, and that we need more “first-team ready players”. Suggests one or two outgoings might be on the cards to make room for the anticipated new signings.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Some outgoings wouldn’t be a surprise. Both Cogley and Nevitt are I think out of contract at the end of the season. I wouldn’t like to lose either, especially Josh, but they’ll leave for nothing at the end of the season unless we go up and if we get decent offers then one or both might go. Cogley is far too good for league two for sure. nevitt I’m less sure about.

other departures might include the likes of merrie who is an obvious one alhough with our lack of options on the bench of late micky may prefer him to stay for his versatility.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Alan Nixon just posted Shrewsbury have made late move for Nevitt
The Shrews have just signed a striker on loan from palace so hopefully that’ll mean they stay away from nevitt

Reactions: Boz
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think O'Connor and Cogley are the players most likely to be in demand, and the most vital for us to retain.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Would be great to think Liverpool are doing a massive favour by paying most of his salary for the whole year and allowing him to walk away without a sell on fee but I have my doubts they are that generous :)
Let's not kid ourselves. Liverpool are a massive commercial organisation with shareholders and profits to think about.

In the case of Paul Glatzel, they have an asset they have invested a lot of money in over several years in developing him and paying him well. His injuries have stopped him developing into a first-team player and currently they probably could not sell him to anyone. They are stuck with paying his salary until the end of this season, when his contract ends and he can walk away. The deal announced today means they get some of his salary paid by Rovers, who take responsibility for getting him match fit. Hopefully, that will happen soon and he can become a useful player for us and a marketable commodity for the Reds. If it works out, both clubs and the player all win. That's why the deal makes sense. There's no charity, it's all about profit - or rather cutting your losses.

If he gets fit, stays fit and plays well, the Reds will try to sell him in January. I'm sure that's part of the deal. Let's hope we get good use of him for the next few months. I can't see him staying on loan until the end of the season and then walking away from the Reds. Instead, if he is reasonably fit and plays reasonably well, we may get the chance to buy him on terms beneficial to both clubs and the player with sell-on clauses and buy-out deals.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
If Glatzel can stay fit I think we will sign him permanently in January for a reasonable fee like we did with Hawkes and O'Connor

Status
Not open for further replies.