• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Think it’s just out of contract players under current rules.
Correct. Loan transfers have the same windows as permanent deals. But most loans deals are done later than permanent transfers. There is still time.

One advantage of the National League was this restriction did not apply. There are no transfer windows. Can’t think of any others. ;)

Reactions: Ian

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Just thinking presumably the transfer deadline is 31st August so Wednesday? However you can still sign loan players and out of contract after that? Or only the latter?
1st September 11pm deadline

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The Nevitt situation is a challenging one. Agree he can certainly develop further, though to what extent is hard to gauge. However, if Eliott knows once Glatzel is fully fit he won’t be a regular starter, then if there’s interest from a L1 club, the factors are in favour of a move, even if it’s to a club like Burton and he’s at risk of dropping back down to L2. Think Rovers should offer him a new deal now, but short of silly money indicate that he won’t be allowed to move this window. If he does go we’d need another forward in as well as Glatzel.
I am surprised by the rumours about Elliott. He is still raw and very much a work in progress. Who knows what his full potential is?

Why would Elliott want to move? He is loved by the fans for his back story, for his energetic displays and occasional spectacular goals. If he leaves, the new club's fans may be impatient for goals and he may have to move away from Merseyside. A move to League One would make him richer in the short term, but in the long term only if the new club stays up and Elliott does the business. He may be better off biding his time, getting more experience, developing his skills - and letting his contract run down (to next summer).

Why would we want to sell him? If he goes, he may be sorely missed. He does a lot of work up front and keeps the opposing defenders occupied, making life easier for Kane and others. I can only think a silly offer combined with his refusal to accept a contract extension would prompt us to sell. It's very late in the transfer window, so the only justification for letting him go would be to fund another striker who Micky thinks is better and we can sign immediately.

Personally, I'd be very disappointed to see him go. He does a useful job and has a good fitness record, unlike Mumbongo and (if he joins) Glatzel.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
His scoring record for us is 1 in 4 games, so while more prolific than Nevitt, a way to go to match Hemmings, who’s roughly 1in 3 games
That is misleading. He was not match fit, psychologically or physically, for several games at the beginning of last season, in addition to which he was played out of position on the right of a front three in those early matches.

When he was fully fit and played in a front two, his scoring ratio was as good as Hemmings' (if not better).

Player
Manager
John King
I am surprised by the rumours about Elliott. He is still raw and very much a work in progress. Who knows what his full potential is?

Why would Elliott want to move? He is loved by the fans for his back story, for his energetic displays and occasional spectacular goals. If he leaves, the new club's fans may be impatient for goals and he may have to move away from Merseyside. A move to League One would make him richer in the short term, but in the long term only if the new club stays up and Elliott does the business. He may be better off biding his time, getting more experience, developing his skills - and letting his contract run down (to next summer).

Why would we want to sell him? If he goes, he may be sorely missed. He does a lot of work up front and keeps the opposing defenders occupied, making life easier for Kane and others. I can only think a silly offer combined with his refusal to accept a contract extension would prompt us to sell. It's very late in the transfer window, so the only justification for letting him go would be to fund another striker who Micky thinks is better and we can sign immediately.

Personally, I'd be very disappointed to see him go. He does a useful job and has a good fitness record, unlike Mumbongo and (if he joins) Glatzel.
Nevitt would want to move to League One if an offer came in. He is 25 now and might not get another opportunity to play at a higher level. He will know better than most that you have to take opportunities when they come along. In addition, there would obviously be financial benefits for somebody who was fitting carpets twelve months ago.

It could also be in our interests to sell him if a decent offer is received. We are trying to build a reputation as a development club, and we need to show young players that there is a pathway to higher levels if you sign for Tranmere.

Having said all of that, I don't think he is ready to compete in League One, and who knows whether the rumours are genuine.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
That is misleading. He was not match fit, psychologically or physically, for several games at the beginning of last season, in addition to which he was played out of position on the right of a front three in those early matches.

When he was fully fit and played in a front two, his scoring ratio was as good as Hemmings' (if not better).
Glatzel’s scoring rate is a hard fact. I agree that you can mitigate it by how ill-prepared he was for life in L2 initially, though he showed mental strength of character to adapt to football at this level. While he wasn’t played in his favoured attacking formation, he would have some experience of playing in a 3 man attack at Liverpool and he was still deployed in an attacking position, it’s hardly as though he’d been played at left-back…

Player
Manager
John King
Glatzel’s scoring rate is a hard fact. I agree that you can mitigate it by how ill-prepared he was for life in L2 initially, though he showed mental strength of character to adapt to football at this level. While he wasn’t played in his favoured attacking formation, he would have some experience of playing in a 3 man attack at Liverpool and he was still deployed in an attacking position, it’s hardly as though he’d been played at left-back…
But 'facts' have to be understood in the correct context.

I still think he will score goals regularly if played in a front two with Hemmings, probably as many as Kane.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
According to Alan Nixon we are after young centre half from Sheffield United Kyrer Gordon, would think a loan to cover the ongoing defensive injuries

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It was suggested Tom Davies actually had broken his leg, not been confirmed officially that I’ve seen. With Robinson and Jamieson out for a while and Hockenhull deemed not ready, suppose it makes sense.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I find it bizarre that none of the pre or post match interviewers have asked about Davies recently. Unless I’ve missed something?

I know Micky always makes the point about what market we are shopping in but I’ll be a bit disappointed if glatzel is the only attacking option we bring in. I’m a fan of his but I’m not sure we can have two of our four strikers having massive questions around their fitness records?

As for Nevitt if we got a decent offer I’d let him go. He’s done well considering where he came from but at times he’s been frustrating in front of goal and is still far from the finished article. Couldn’t blame him as he’ll have a relatively short number of years as a professional so needs to make the most of it

Player
Manager
John King
I find it bizarre that none of the pre or post match interviewers have asked about Davies recently. Unless I’ve missed something?

I know Micky always makes the point about what market we are shopping in but I’ll be a bit disappointed if glatzel is the only attacking option we bring in. I’m a fan of his but I’m not sure we can have two of our four strikers having massive questions around their fitness records?

As for Nevitt if we got a decent offer I’d let him go. He’s done well considering where he came from but at times he’s been frustrating in front of goal and is still far from the finished article. Couldn’t blame him as he’ll have a relatively short number of years as a professional so needs to make the most of it
Personally, I would be delighted with Glatzel, particularly if we sign him on a permanent deal as is rumoured. We are not realistically going to bring anybody else with close to his quality at this late stage.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
agree he is quality but we need him to stay fit and he will get over 20 goals if he does

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Certainly a quality player but it’s a big risk bringing him in. I guess with our budget that’s just the way it is

ADD

Player
Norwood
Certainly a quality player but it’s a big risk bringing him in. I guess with our budget that’s just the way it is
Some mention that Liverpool will be paying most of his wages for this year as part of their Academy exit route strategy and anyhow if he doesn't move on they contractually are required to of course and presumably the deal can be structured that our risk is minimised by them agreeing to cover the majority of his wages for this season even if he comes this week on a permanent by building in a higher sell on fee percentage for Liverpool if sold whilst for them and Glatzel himself they can presumably negotiate a clause that he is automatically able to leave if a Championship Club/ L1 club comes in and offers a set amount?

Player
ian goodison
maybe a daft question but is hockenhull not ready because of an injury or is he not good enough?

drwhoman

I live in hope that Glatzel will sign today. Can he be loaned to Rovers if not? Presumably the delay has been him needing to get fit before we take him on.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I live in hope that Glatzel will sign today. Can he be loaned to Rovers if not? Presumably the delay has been him needing to get fit before we take him on.
11pm today is the deadline for permanent and loan signings, after that only players without a club can be signed ie free agents. Think Glatzel still few weeks away from full fitness so won't be available straight away

Status
Not open for further replies.