• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some outgoings wouldn’t be a surprise. Both Cogley and Nevitt are I think out of contract at the end of the season. I wouldn’t like to lose either, especially Josh, but they’ll leave for nothing at the end of the season unless we go up and if we get decent offers then one or both might go. Cogley is far too good for league two for sure. nevitt I’m less sure about.

other departures might include the likes of merrie who is an obvious one alhough with our lack of options on the bench of late micky may prefer him to stay for his versatility.
I can’t see us moving on any of our existing “first-team ready“ players, although the Nevitt rumours won’t go away so there might yet be something in that.

Merrie could be a good shout, likewise Hockenhull…especially as we’re supposed to be after another CB (Gordon?). Both on loan maybe.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Personally, I would hang onto everyone until the injured players return. Our squad is wafer thin and we can't afford any more injuries, illnesses or suspensions. Any players going out on loan would almost certainly be down to the National League or below. There is no transfer window in non-league, so they could move down at any time. My main concern is cover at centre-back, so I would hope we can get a short-term loan arranged this evening.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The squad is not that thin once the injured players return. We are still light up front, even after the arrival of Glatzel, and in the wide midfield positions, but at the back and in the centre of midfield we have ample numbers.

It is freakish that Jameson, Robinson and Davies are all out at the same time, but in the medium term we have sufficient numbers at the back, other than perhaps a lack of cover at right back.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Have there been any updates about when Robinson is likely to be match fit again?

Player
Manager
John King
Micky said in his pre- match interview we should have another defender available at the weekend, despite Jameson, Robinson and Davies not being fit, which seems to confirm we are trying to recruit more defensive cover.

Player
Manager
John King
Dynel Simeu, young centre back from Southampton.

On loan at Carlisle in the second half of last season.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Sounds promising. Pleased he has some league two experience. Hopefully not another Godwin Antwi!

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Saints reportedly £1.5m for him as a youth player. Time at Carlisle will have done him good - so not exactly a freshman

drwhoman

Good signings. Glatzel also has potential to play at a higher level. After his bad injury he fell into 'no mans land' at Liverpool. Too old for the Academy team and not considered good enough for the first team squad. There are a few of them there. There have been a number of loan outgoings there today, some to non-league. Liverpool are unlikely to want a fee for Paul if we want to sign him in January. They do not need the money! If they can let the likes of Origi just go out of the door. Hope that both young players go well. Signing Simeu seems to suggest that Hockenhull might not have been a smart signing.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Hockenhull is a strange one, those who saw him in pre-season didn't perceive him as totally out of his depth, yet the management don't have enough confidence in him to even give him a few minutes when Rovers were comfortably ahead v Gillingham. I would hope that the club look to loaning him out now that Simeu has arrived and re-assess in January.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Hockenhull is a strange one, those who saw him in pre-season didn't perceive him as totally out of his depth, yet the management don't have enough confidence in him to even give him a few minutes when Rovers were comfortably ahead v Gillingham. I would hope that the club look to loaning him out now that Simeu has arrived and re-assess in January.
Hopefully once Robinson is fit we will loan Hockenhull out.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I saw a bit of Hockenhull at Warrington and v hearts. He did ok but we can only assume he’s not impressed in training. Think he only signed a one year deal although I could be wrong. If so he could leave in the summer unless they think he has potential. Perhaps a loan move with a recall option would make sense once Davies and others are fit

Player
Manager
John King
I am pretty sure Hockenhull signed a two year deal.

I thought he looked good in pre-season, albeit I only saw him against very weak opposition (Warrington and Southport). He seems to have been considered on a par with Bristow and McAlear when he was recruited, so I would not write him off.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I saw a bit of Hockenhull at Warrington and v hearts. He did ok but we can only assume he’s not impressed in training. Think he only signed a one year deal although I could be wrong. If so he could leave in the summer unless they think he has potential. Perhaps a loan move with a recall option would make sense once Davies and others are fit
It's a 2 year deal, as RLC suggests. Hopefully there's a NL or NLN/S side that would give him some game time for a few months, as it can't be doing his development much good not getting any match action.

Status
Not open for further replies.