• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’m really not sure about glatzel and thought he was out of contract with the reds? Even so I stand corrected but I’m still not convinced a front three of Hemmings , Nevitt and glatzel will score enough. We had a great defensive record overall last season and I’m doubtful it’ll be as good again so we need more goals. The jury is still out on Nevitt and I hope I’m proven wrong but I’d prefer a striker with experience of goals at this level. Apart from Kane we don’t have anyone - or am I being too greedy

As Ian says you do wonder if glatzel is suited fo league two and the physical aspect of it

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Even so I stand corrected but I’m still not convinced a front three of Hemmings , Nevitt and glatzel will score enough.
I think they would easily if Glatzel stayed fit for the full season, although whether he would or not is the million dollar question. I would go as far as to say Glatzel would be the best striker in the division if he stayed fit: there are not many, if any, League Two forwards that have his technical ability in addition to regularly scoring goals.

I would imagine we can't afford an established second striker of the same calibre as Hemmings. If we then have to choose between a League Two journeyman with a good injury record and Glatzel, I think I would just about prefer Glatzel. Nevitt does not seem to suffer from injury problems, and is always a willing workhorse alongside Hemmings when Glatzel is out.

I think we will have additional goals from midfield next season from McClear and Lewis, and Hemmings will be here for the full season rather than half of it. The bigger concern for me is the disruption to the pattern of play if Glatzel is continuously in and out of the starting eleven due to injury.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
Glatzel was coping fine with the rough and tumble of League Two a few weeks into last season. He can deal with physicality. That is not the issue. The issue is the underlying injury trouble he has had for much of his time at Liverpool, resulting from the serious injury he suffered earlier in his career.

I’d say Glatzel’s potential susceptibility to injury is more his hamstring, which seems linked to his bursts of pace than to the serious injury he had earlier in his career, from which he should have made a full recovery. It might be something he can overcome, or at least manage, by specific exercises as well as maybe his natural growth. Or, perhaps, modify his game a touch.

We’d also probably have to cross our fingers every time he played but, with a run in the team, I think he’d be a hell of an asset in L2.

Player
Manager
John King
I’d say Glatzel’s potential susceptibility to injury is more his hamstring, which seems linked to his bursts of pace than to the serious injury he had earlier in his career, from which he should have made a full recovery. It might be something he can overcome, or at least manage, by specific exercises as well as maybe his natural growth. Or, perhaps, modify his game a touch.

We’d also probably have to cross our fingers every time he played but, with a run in the team, I think he’d be a hell of an asset in L2.
I think it was an ACL injury that kept him out for a year at Liverpool, so the hamstring problems could be related.

I certainly wouldn‘t assume they‘re connected, in the absence of any evidence that we know of. Put another way, if the medics think they are connected, the risk would be such that I’d probably prefer us to recruit someone else instead.

Player
Manager
John King
I certainly wouldn‘t assume they‘re connected, in the absence of any evidence that we know of. Put another way, if the medics think they are connected, the risk would be such that I’d probably prefer us to recruit someone else instead.
I would sign him regardless. I think it is common for players who have had serious injuries to get recurring problems elsewhere.

drwhoman

Glatzel is a better player than Nevitt honest trier though the latter is. I would sign him with the understanding that we terminate after six months if injuries are persistent. As has been said he is a real goalscorer and will do well if he has toughened up and avoids injury. He will have a lot to prove.His unavailability at the end of last season was a big negative for us/

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Glatzel is a better player than Nevitt honest trier though the latter is. I would sign him with the understanding that we terminate after six months if injuries are persistent. As has been said he is a real goalscorer and will do well if he has toughened up and avoids injury. He will have a lot to prove.His unavailability at the end of last season was a big negative for us/
That reads as incredibly patronising towards Nevitt, who is a heck of a lot more than an ‘honest trier’. Think of the goals he scored against Mansfield for example. If he’s able to maintain the increased fitness levels shown during the second half of last season, now that he’s adapted to football at the higher level is easily capable of getting into a double figure goal tally, with regular first team football.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Glatzel is a risk for sure though he is way better than this level. He and Hemmings would be a superb strike force playing in front of a side playing higher up the pitch than last season and down the wings with the pace of Bristow and Cogley. They will find the gaps against L2 defenders that other L2 attackers won't. Nevitt is a decent enough back up if either were injured.
Given the number of money bags clubs this year who can outspend us if the Glatzel rumour is true then it suggests to me that the Vaughan/ MP strategy was to build a squad which is good enough to be solidly mid- table so no concerns as to relegation and then "gamble " on a couple of players who if they stay fit can provide the extra quality to get us into the promotion mix but who are within our budget. Nolan and Glatzel are arguably those players.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
ok yes cheaper but why do we always do it I would not go near a Lad who has played 14 times in 2 seasons we will be Lucky If he makes it through the warm up games, for as for Glatxel i hope he comes back and stays fit and scores shit loads

Player
Manager
John King
That reads as incredibly patronising towards Nevitt, who is a heck of a lot more than an ‘honest trier’. Think of the goals he scored against Mansfield for example. If he’s able to maintain the increased fitness levels shown during the second half of last season, now that he’s adapted to football at the higher level is easily capable of getting into a double figure goal tally, with regular first team football.
Yes, Nevitt was averaging a goal every two games in the closing months of last season and has the potential to improve further.

Reactions: Boz

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Honest trier might be a tad harsh, but I think drwhoman was making the point that Nevitt will be in he reserve striker should either Hemming or Glatzel get injured. Can't see MM playing all three.
Watched Nolan's highlights for Shrews last night and I was purring. Great touch, two good feet and vision.
A gamble, but a fit him and Glatzel would make us a cut above.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
If we get Glatzel back at least we will know whether he can sustain more than half the season or whether he really is just injury prone. I'd love to see Nolan fit and raring to go but I do have my doubts over his fitness.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Byrne officially confirmed undisclosed fee and at least one year so presumably we have an option.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Don’t know much about Byrne but he will bring some experience and an older head.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Byrne officially confirmed undisclosed fee and at least one year so presumably we have an option.
It says on the club site signed till at least June 2023 so suggests option of 2nd year

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
If we get Glatzel back at least we will know whether he can sustain more than half the season or whether he really is just injury prone. I'd love to see Nolan fit and raring to go but I do have my doubts over his fitness.
Agree totally Ian. For both of them and especially Nolan and from what they can do I'd give them a 10 year contract, but given the injury woes you'd want them on a week to week basis. Tough balancing act I guess. Hopefully the club will manage/limit the financial risk in the contract.

drwhoman

Honest trier might be a tad harsh, but I think drwhoman was making the point that Nevitt will be in he reserve striker should either Hemming or Glatzel get injured. Can't see MM playing all three.
Watched Nolan's highlights for Shrews last night and I was purring. Great touch, two good feet and vision.
A gamble, but a fit him and Glatzel would make us a cut above.
Fair comment re Nevitt. He has the potential to improve. He came a long way last season. However, at this point in time Glatzel is the better player and, as has been said, we are unlikely to see a Glatzel, Nevitt, Hemmings front three unless in an emergency.

Status
Not open for further replies.