• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
A shame but can’t blame him joining a league one club. We move on. Wonder if this will further mean less opportunities for Jonny smith so could hasten his return to PP (although only a rumour)
To be honest, if I was given the choice I'd prefer Smith anyway. All very speculative though!

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
we are taking our time over new players and does look like they are not just bringing in some has-beens like Macca and guys who have never scored a goal Mani, there seems to be a lot more planning and doing homework that has to go to James and his team if it pays off would like to see some more sooner rather than later we still need another goal scorer to compliment the lads up top we wait and see

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes the season starts in a months time and we’re still short in a few areas. Another striker needed for sure and a back up keeper as I’m assuming Murphy will start as first choice

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Yes the season starts in a months time and we’re still short in a few areas. Another striker needed for sure and a back up keeper as I’m assuming Murphy will start as first choice
Almost no defensive cover is my biggest concern. I don’t think the plan is for Murphy to be the no 1, though might have to start out that way.

While the retention of Murphy, Davies and Morris was good business, the only experienced player we’ve added to the squad is Paul Lewis. Even Paul’s biggest admirers aren’t going to put that in the marquee signing category. Those itk suggest there may be a couple of deals already done, but not announced perhaps relating to contract issues with their current clubs. We need to add a couple of central defenders, goalkeeper, winger and striker minimum to the current squad.

Reactions: Ian

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Been told a keeper has signed

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
While the retention of Murphy, Davies and Morris was good business, the only experienced player we’ve added to the squad is Paul Lewis. Even Paul’s biggest admirers aren’t going to put that in the marquee signing category.
Absolutely get the point that we need to add some experience but don't understand the desire for "marquee" signings. At our level it often means that we are paying too much money for "names" who are past their peak and invariably disappoint. Not always, of course, but it does hold as many negative as positive connotations for me.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Absolutely get the point that we need to add some experience but don't understand the desire for "marquee" signings. At our level it often means that we are paying too much money for "names" who are past their peak and invariably disappoint. Not always, of course, but it does hold as many negative as positive connotations for me.
I take your point about ‘marquee signings’ though to some extent it’s a question of terminology. Some of the youngsters we’ve recruited may be very good, too early to form any opinion, but I do think we need experienced players and ones who when they’re announced you think that I’d like to see them play in a Tranmere team.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It has been suggested that we are set to sign Neil Byrne, experienced and quite highly rated centre back at Hartlepool.

Player
Manager
John King
We definately need more experience.
I think we can get too hung up about how much experience is needed. I think it is only two or three further experienced bodies we need.

The evidence of Cogley, MacDonald, Warrington, O'Connor and co. last season suggests that if youngsters are good enough, they only need a couple of experienced heads alongside them.

The average age of the squad was one of the highest in the division last season and needed to be reduced significantly.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Good news. Really interested to see who it is. I did start to wonder if Hewlet had progressed enough to get brought up to scratch by Joe. He does have some, if limited pedigree, but would be a worry. Equally if there's not much out there maybe stick with devil you know and use the money elsewhere.
I touted Lee Burge might drop to L2 from Sunderland a while back. Gone to Northampton now - chance missed as he was rated by Sunderland fans. Maybe the Cobblers pay bigger bucks.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
RLC, I recall last season you were keen that Spearing should be brought back into the team as soon as he was fit and attributed some of our slump to a relative lack of experience in the squad at that difficult period. I don’t disagree with what you say above, but at present we are lacking that experienced nucleus, particularly in defence, to build the team around.

Byrne I don’t know much about, seems to have spent much of his career outside the FL and is under contract so fee required.

Player
Manager
John King
RLC, I recall last season you were keen that Spearing should be brought back into the team as soon as he was fit and attributed some of our slump to a relative lack of experience in the squad at that difficult period. I don’t disagree with what you say above, but at present we are lacking that experienced nucleus, particularly in defence, to build the team around.

Byrne I don’t know much about, seems to have spent much of his career outside the FL and is under contract so fee required.
That was a particular issue when we had a partnership of O'Connor and Warrington in midfield, rather than a general issue with the starting eleven. We have already added the experienced Lewis in the centre of midfield, and Morris has played countless games.

I would say the existing spine is already very experienced: Murphy, Davies, Lewis, Morris, Hemmings. Yes, we need two or three more players in the 25-30 age bracket, but if additional 'experience' means signing the likes of Feeney, NKP or MacManaman we can do well without.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
That was a particular issue when we had a partnership of O'Connor and Warrington in midfield, rather than a general issue with the starting eleven. We have already added the experienced Lewis in the centre of midfield, and Morris has played countless games.

I would say the existing spine is already very experienced: Murphy, Davies, Lewis, Morris, Hemmings. Yes, we need two or three more players in the 25-30 age bracket, but if additional 'experience' means signing the likes of Feeney, NKP or MacManaman we can do well without.
It’s unlikely that Murphy will be the first choice keeper, given his coaching role, while Davies has been injury prone. So I do feel that we’re at risk of having a very inexperienced defence without additions. Agree with your final point, we need quality experience rather than of the last pay day variety, which seemed to be the reality for 2 of the 3 you named.

Player
Manager
John King
It’s unlikely that Murphy will be the first choice keeper, given his coaching role, while Davies has been injury prone. So I do feel that we’re at risk of having a very inexperienced defence without additions. Agree with your final point, we need quality experience rather than of the last pay day variety, which seemed to be the reality for 2 of the 3 you named.
Murphy is a perfectly solid option if called upon. Davies remained largely injury free last season and played the vast majority of games, which is why he was granted an extension.

I think Cogley's ability and attitude give him a maturity beyond his relatively limited number of games (the same is true of O'Connor and a few others). but we are clearly going to strengthen further at the back.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Wouldn’t surprise me if Murphy did start in goal. He did nothing wrong last season and whether he is 40 or 39 it won’t make any difference. He’ll be as good as he was last season. The club need to decide is it worth bringing in another decent keeper or just back up as it may impact on our budget for outfield players

Reactions: Ian
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Wouldn’t surprise me if Murphy did start in goal. He did nothing wrong last season and whether he is 40 or 39 it won’t make any difference. He’ll be as good as he was last season. The club need to decide is it worth bringing in another decent keeper or just back up as it may impact on our budget for outfield players
Personally, I’d try to find a promising youngster who Murphy could bring on - the same approach as for Hockenhull, Bristol and McAlear.

But I agree we are lacking experience in most other departments and this needs to be addressed.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Personally, I’d try to find a promising youngster who Murphy could bring on - the same approach as for Hockenhull, Bristol and McAlear.

But I agree we are lacking experience in most other departments and this needs to be addressed.
Bigmart thinks a keeper may have signed. Excited to see who it is.
Alternatively if Murphy was to be number one, maybe Hewlet has progressed enough to be a genuine no. 2 (assuming he's still here?). He did have some, if limited, pedigree. As Sparky says it would free up cash for other areas in the team.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Peter orourke has tweeted we are signing Jon Nolan on free transfer decent ayer but had couple years of injuries

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Nolan has always been a decent player but let down with injuries in recent seasons. A scouser and captain at previous clubs at 30 he’d give us some experience. However with one game played last season and only 13 the year before you do wonder how fit he’ll be. Although given that he may be a fairly cheap signing so low risk

Status
Not open for further replies.