• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Nolan has always been a decent player but let down with injuries. A scouser and captain at previous clubs at 30 he’d give us some experience. However with one game played last season and only 13 the year before you do wonder how fit he’ll be. Although given that he may be a fairly cheap signing
Confirmed signed on website now....

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Nolan signs a one year deal.

“I’m happy to get the deal over the line, it’s been a long off season for me and I’ve worked to get to this position fitness wise so I’m happy to get it sorted.”

Hopefully he can be as successful as his namesake Ian was all those years ago. A really good signing I think if he can stay fit

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Bit of a risk but could work out very well if he stays fit and probably quite cheap too because of his injury record.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Also linked with Niall Byrne. A centre half who played 40 games last season for Hartlepool. Lots of previous national league experience

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The names Darren Potter and Callum Woods spring to mind!!! Hopefully he can stay fit as will be a good signing if he can
Yes, I think it is a Rovers strategy and has been for many years to take someone who has good ability, slightly risky for various reasons and hope the gamble pays off.

I think Nolan is much better than league two so we could have a really good player if he proves his fitness.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Rovers don’t have a great recent record of rejuvenating the injury prone. Perhaps Nolan will be the exception, but I have my doubts. Think it might have been better from the club to have announced this in tandem with another signing (optimistically assuming there will be one;)), as in isolation there’s been time for a lot of scrutiny of his lack of recent playing time.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Rovers don’t have a great recent record of rejuvenating the injury prone. Perhaps Nolan will be the exception, but I have my doubts. Think it might have been better from the club to have announced this in tandem with another signing (optimistically assuming there will be one;)), as in isolation there’s been time for a lot of scrutiny of his lack of recent playing time.
Rovers probably treating the signing as a free shot. And it might be more calculated than it appears given they've had a chance do some due diligence in the week or so he's been training with us.
In terms of the announcement they may see it as an appetizer for significant 1st July signings.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
"However with one game played last season".....and only 26 minutes of that. He clearly has had major calf injury problems, and to a lesser degree knee injuries. This is clearly a big gamble, and I hope for him and the club it pays off but it does have a taint of "Scouser coming home for final pay day" about it, and we've seen before where that often ends up.

Player
Ian Goodison
Liverpools James Balagizi a young (18 years old) Manchester born forward gone on loan to Crawley Town.. Wonder if we had a look at him?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Liverpools James Balagizi a young (18 years old) Manchester born forward gone on loan to Crawley Town.. Wonder if we had a look at him?
Doubt it, we need another experienced striker, we already have Jolley and Burton don't need another young striker

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It looks like Byrne has signed, and it is suggested Glatzel will be coming back on loan as well.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
hi all yea let us hope Nolan is sorted why do we always go for injury proners

drwhoman

Doubt it, we need another experienced striker, we already have Jolley and Burton don't need another young striker
Balagizi is a big strong attacking midfielder who will probably do well in his career if not at the top level. However, he would probably not be a suitable player for us. I would quite fancy Leighton Clarkson but I doubt if he will be loaned out to L2. Probably L1. I agree re Byrne and Glatzel. The latter has the potential to have a good career if he can stop getting injured!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Byrne would be good as we need central defenders and Pools fans don't want to see him go. Didn't notice him particularly in either game last season. He's under contract, so a fee would be due. Slight hesitation in that he's played much of his career in non-league football, so would he be equipped to get us to the next level and play there?

Glatzel on loan reportedly cost us a lot of money last season. Did we get good value for that, given the amount of time he missed? He's undoubtedly talented and would be a better player second time around, because of the experience gained getting to grips with L2 football. Genuinely undecided on whether the pluses outweigh the minuses for a second loan spell.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Quite a tricky one with Glatzel. He only had about 15 starts for us, as well as half a dozen sub appearances which isn't great although his goal to game ratio was fairly good. I just don't know whether he is physically able to cope with the rough and tumble of league two football.

He did get stuck in as the season progressed but I think that came at a price.

Status
Not open for further replies.