• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2021-22

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Always a difficult one. You have to weight up the total cost of the Academy against the likely 'player financial return' over time either through onsales of homegrowns to larger clubs or the negation of the need to bring players in from outside because there are adequate homegrown players. That said, any decision has to be taken in the context of the overall financial position of the Club. The decision to close the Academy was due to the Club being unwilling or unable to accept any possible financial loss from the exercise. I am sure that Liverpool, who have a much vaunted Academy, are able to take that risk given their overall financial situation. In their case it has undoubtedly been a worthwhile risk to take. How much would it cost to sign a full back as good as Alexander-Arnold? Certainly, more than any annual loss from running the Academy I would think.
As regards scousers around the country, as we all know, these days the big clubs hoover up any one with potential so I would suspect that many of the journeymen round and about were part of a big club set up at some stage. They would not have featured in a Tranmere Academy if it had still been in operation. All players with ambition want to compete at the top level and not many would join a Tranmere, as opposed to a Liverpool Academy, if asked? Maybe a few but not many.
This is all surmise of course!! (LOL!)
if I'm correct in thinking, it was decided to close the academy when we were having our second season in the VFL. The parachute payment from the FA would be withdraw after that season and the club would have to find it or find a sponsor pay for it.There are p?entry of clubs that do this.

drwhoman

if I'm correct in thinking, it was decided to close the academy when we were having our second season in the VFL. The parachute payment from the FA would be withdraw after that season and the club would have to find it or find a sponsor pay for it.There are p?entry of clubs that do this.
You may well be right but I would imagine that Mark and Nicola had to take the decision given our possible (does not bear thinking about!) continuance in the NL, with no parachute payments. Covid has, of course, scuppered any thoughts about a reopening. I take great comfort from the fact that we have committed and financially thoughtful owners who try to balance performance with financial reality. At the moment their approach is working well. As we all know there are many clubs in a poorer position in all respects!

Player
Manager
It's supposition, but without the Malaysians investment, and the paloi were struggling to find a similar investment, where would that leave us?
And even with that investment, the wage bill has been drastically reduced, with redundancies and wage cuts.
The hotel bombed, and more staff reductions.

Just to add, a certain club had its first team staff in isolation a total of near!y twenty.
And they still sent a staff of ten to the cup game they won!
I believe we have six full time staff in the football department!
We had more in that season for just first team duties. In the VFL.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
It's supposition, but without the Malaysians investment, and the paloi were struggling to find a similar investment, where would that leave us?
And even with that investment, the wage bill has been drastically reduced, with redundancies and wage cuts.
The hotel bombed, and more staff reductions.

Just to add, a certain club had its first team staff in isolation a total of near!y twenty.
And they still sent a staff of ten to the cup game they won!
I believe we have six full time staff in the football department!
We had more in that season for just first team duties. In the VFL.
The wage bill has not been drastically cut, try getting your facts right.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Rovers also linked with Kane Hemmings of Burton
Would be a great signing but Salford are also interested and can pay more than us.

Gnanduillet played up front with Danny Johnson for a couple of months.

Player
aldo
and the hearts fans are saying we are stupid if we pay for him only had two good seasons in some ways I hope not

Player
Manager
The wage bill has not been drastically cut, try getting your facts right.

That sounds, if you are aware of what is going on?
It is not fact but a supposition because of the circumstances,.

I could give you examples, but the main ones are that the club is using the Kickstarter scheme and the council funded scheme to pay for staff if you hadn't noticed, the number of full time contracted staff had been reduced, therefore the wage bill has been drastically reduced. There are volunteers doing maintenance and there has been reductions in other departments. The club asked for volunteers to replace match day staff to assist The groundsman! The fourth groundsman in four years!

I'm not saying it's a fact because stats can be used to suit an agenda, but that is not directed at the paloi.

If you know something I don't, you could pm me!!

The club is still trying to fill vacancies nobody wants them because they won't pay the bills!

Player
Manager
John King
and the hearts fans are saying we are stupid if we pay for him only had two good seasons in some ways I hope not
I think he would be a very good signing. There is a difference between playing for one of the bigger clubs in the SPL and League Two, and the comments on their forums are mixed.

It is interesting that their fans think it is definitely us that are close to a deal.

Although the Gnanduillet rumour is doing the rounds north and south of the border, everywhere I’ve seen it all traces back to one particular transfer-rumour Twitter account which has fewer than 100 followers.

Player
Manager
John King
Although the Gnanduillet rumour is doing the rounds north and south of the border, everywhere I’ve seen it all traces back to one particular transfer-rumour Twitter account which has fewer than 100 followers.
Probably nonsense then. However, there does seem to be something in the Hemmings rumour.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
In any case, I am sceptical that Gnanduillet is the answer. He had two prolific seasons at Blackpool, but otherwise very little.

Player
Manager
John King
In any case, I am sceptical that Gnanduillet is the answer. He had two prolific seasons at Blackpool, but otherwise very little.
However, both of those seasons were in League One and were very recent, 2018-20. He has never been prolific, but he leads the line well and is a handful. He was good during his loan spell at Prenton Park.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Probably nonsense then. However, there does seem to be something in the Hemmings rumour.
He would be a great singing, consistent goalscorer but an 'offer they couldn't refuse'. I'd be very surprised if that was from Tranmere.

Player
Manager
John King
He would be a great singing, consistent goalscorer but an 'offer they couldn't refuse'. I'd be very surprised if that was from Tranmere.
He is out of contract in the summer, so the fee would not necessarily be anything spectacular. You will accept £30,000 for a player you are going to release anyway.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
However, both of those seasons were in League One and were very recent, 2018-20. He has never been prolific, but he leads the line well and is a handful. He was good during his loan spell at Prenton Park.
We are not realistically going g to sign a prolific striker at thus stage of the season without paying big wages

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
That sounds, if you are aware of what is going on?
It is not fact but a supposition because of the circumstances,.

I could give you examples, but the main ones are that the club is using the Kickstarter scheme and the council funded scheme to pay for staff if you hadn't noticed, the number of full time contracted staff had been reduced, therefore the wage bill has been drastically reduced. There are volunteers doing maintenance and there has been reductions in other departments. The club asked for volunteers to replace match day staff to assist The groundsman! The fourth groundsman in four years!

I'm not saying it's a fact because stats can be used to suit an agenda, but that is not directed at the paloi.

If you know something I don't, you could pm me!!

The club is still trying to fill vacancies nobody wants them because they won't pay the bills!
We have too many non football staff and have had for several years it was over 400 in the national league.
We managed to maintain the playing budget during 3 seasons in the national league with virtually no league funding. We have kept a decent budget for 4 seasons now back in the league and is after a few exceptions one of the highest in the league

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
He is out of contract in the summer, so the fee would not necessarily be anything spectacular. You will accept £30,000 for a player you are going to release anyway.

I suspect Salford could scupper any potential deal for a half decent striker. They don’t score too many themselves and can obviously pay good wages

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I suspect Salford could scupper any potential deal for a half decent striker. They don’t score too many themselves and can obviously pay good wages
They were set to sign him but the deal has hit a snag and we ate now linked with him