• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2021-22

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We could probably operate without him but that seems like a strange one in any case.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I suspect he’d like to stay but if a league one club like Burton want them then couldn’t blame him for going up a level. I’d be disappointed if he left but like Ian says we could cope without him, especially if hawkes comes back and we get someone like hemmings in

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'd also be disappointed if we were to lose Morris. I don't know enough about Hemmings to say what we'd gain by such an exchange.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Rumours from reliable sources that we are trying to swap Morris for Hemmings.

I hope not. I love Morris and I think he is our best player.

It does not seem worth it to me.
There could be several reasons for Morris going.
1. For personal reasons, he may want to go back to the north midlands, where he started his career.
2. He may have been offered a new contract and refused it, so we want to get some value from his transfer.
3. He may be unhappy at the club.
4. He may be attracted by playing in League One again.
5. Perhaps Burton need a quality midfielder and insist on Morris being part of the deal.

I am not aware of any rumours about 1 ,2 or 3. I don’t believe 4, as he has a good chance of playing in League One next year with Rovers. I think 5 is the most likely. It may be that the Salford deal fell apart because the player Burton wanted didn’t want to go.

This is all speculation. Personally, I hope he stays.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Hawkes came on in the 80th minute last night although fellow league 2 loanee Jack Diamond started. Once their covid situation clears up Hawkes will return

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Good good. We should look to strenghten as much as possible to give ourselves the best chance possible now we find ourselves in a great position.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Micky sounded hopeful after last nights match that we'll have someone in before the weekend. Hemmings would be a good fit. He has had a bit of a nomadic career often spending no more than a season at a single club. However his goal ratio is around 1 in 3, and 15 goals in league one last season can't be sniffed at.

drwhoman

I hear what is being said but I just wonder, if we sign another striker, where that leaves Nevitt. Jolley and Glatzel? The new guy will presumably expect to play, yet do we really think that he will offer any more than we have at present? It would certainly reduce the young players chances of getting a regular game. Might it encourage Jolley, who is showing some promise, and who Rovers have spent a lot of time on, to go elsewhere in the summer? Hemmings has scored 100 goals in around 300 games but a lot of those were in lower division Scotland. Anyway, let us see what happens.
As an aside, I see that Agard has left Plymouth after a six month deal and has signed for Doncaster until summer 23.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I hear what is being said but I just wonder, if we sign another striker, where that leaves Nevitt. Jolley and Glatzel? The new guy will presumably expect to play, yet do we really think that he will offer any more than we have at present? It would certainly reduce the young players chances of getting a regular game. Might it encourage Jolley, who is showing some promise, and who Rovers have spent a lot of time on, to go elsewhere in the summer? Hemmings has scored 100 goals in around 300 games but a lot of those were in lower division Scotland. Anyway, let us see what happens.
As an aside, I see that Agard has left Plymouth after a six month deal and has signed for Doncaster until summer 23.
We desperately need an experienced striker, if Hemmings signs I would think he will start ahead of Nevitt alongside Jolley.
The club have an option to extend the contract of Jolley in the summer and expect them to do it.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
We desperately need an experienced striker, if Hemmings signs I would think he will start ahead of Nevitt alongside Jolley.
The club have an option to extend the contract of Jolley in the summer and expect them to do it.

Totally agree. As much as I like Nevitt, Jolley and glatzel, with all their inexperience it is a lot to ask for them to fire us to promotion. It hasn’t mattered much of late because we’ve not conceded goals but sooner or later we might plus someone like Davies could pick up an injury.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
We need another, more experienced striker. Signing Hemmings won't affect the long term development of Jolley and Nevitt, as they both have extended contracts. In the short term, if they out perform Hemmings they will keep him out of the side, as they did with Maynard.

As good as their performances have been, it is not fair to expect three youngsters who had not kicked a ball professionally before this season to spearhead a promotion challenge without any support. Plus, Glatzel has had serious injury problems and if he is out for any length of time we only have two forwards.

drwhoman

We need another, more experienced striker. Signing Hemmings won't affect the long term development of Jolley and Nevitt, as they both have extended contracts. In the short term, if they out perform Hemmings they will keep him out of the side, as they did with Maynard.

As good as their performances have been, it is not fair to expect three youngsters who had not kicked a ball professionally before this season to spearhead a promotion challenge without any support. Plus, Glatzel has had serious injury problems and if he is out for any length of time we only have two forwards.
Thanks RLC. I was unaware that Jolley had extended his contract although I knew that Nevitt had. I would assume that Hemmings will want an 18mth contract. I may be wrong but I think it unlikely that he would only sign until the summer.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don't know that Jolley's extension has been triggered yet, but it surely will be? Presume like drwhoman that if we're paying a fee for Hemmings, it would be an 18 month deal.

Agree that we need the experienced forward option, but as RLC says it's not a given he'll automatically play every game.