• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2021-22

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Mixed emotions about this. It’s good to test yourselves against the strongest possible opponent, but a thumping, should it happen, is not going to be great for morale as our last game before the season proper starts.
In all probability we will have more additions to the squad in the lead up to the Walsall game so new signings will provide a boost

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Players know what type of game is it and of course they try to play as good as they can.
But they will still hurt if the team gets beat. To have a decent opposition is good and prove yourself , even getting a result is the best outcome. But getting hammered does no one no good no how!
The players mind has to be positive, how can you be positive if you have made mistakes?

Really quiet on the recruitment.

drwhoman

Players know what type of game is it and of course they try to play as good as they can.
But they will still hurt if the team gets beat. To have a decent opposition is good and prove yourself , even getting a result is the best outcome. But getting hammered does no one no good no how!
The players mind has to be positive, how can you be positive if you have made mistakes?

Really quiet on the recruitment.
Chris Wood has been at the Olympics with NZ so they will not have to deal with him. It is pre-season so anything could happen. Highly unlikely but I see that Shay Ojo does not have a future with Liverpool. Training and playing with the Under 23s. Far too expensive I am sure - likely to go to at least an L1 club. It would be good to get some progress on the recruitment front. I am surprised that they has not been any movement on Duffy. You would have thought that he would have been given one year by now. Maybe keeping their financial powder dry?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don’t understand all the nuances of the finances but think that by not signing Duffy until August, if that’s what we intend to do, his former club has to pay him something for July. Saves Rovers money and he was probably on a better wage at Fleetwood, though don’t know the exact proportion they’re required to pay him.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think it is 50% of the salary that is paid in July, when a contract expires on 30th June.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The other deals are mainly loans so we are in the hands of the parent club on when they will let the player out on loan

Player
aldo
with such a thin squad of players, it is so quiet on the Transfer front, and with being too light up top it is very concerning

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Caolan Lavery signs for Bradford. Not prolific but scored 16 goals over the last two seasons with Walsall. I’d hoped we may have looked at him and perhaps we did but money bags Bradford have got him to boost their striker options alongside cookie

Player
Manager
John King
Being suggested that we have missed out on Duffy as Burton have come in with a better offer. If true, surely we should have sealed the deal some time ago, given how long he has been with us ?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Being suggested that we have missed out on Duffy as Burton have come in with a better offer. If true, surely we should have sealed the deal some time ago, given how long he has been with us ?

that would be a shame as you would assume we were in prime position given how long he has been with us. It’s possible Burton have offered him more money or just the lure of a league one club is more attractive than us.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
That would be a shame as he looked very useful.

Player
Manager
John King
It all depends on Mellon's take, I suppose: was he 100% committed to offering a deal, and we delayed and lost the player, or was Duffy genuinely 'on trial' ?

At least we have got Morris and Feeney who can both play that role. We might go back in for Kahn now.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
If Duffy has gone elsewhere its poor by the club, he has been training with us for several weeks and played in a number of games and was on set pieces in recent games so clearly he was wanted by Micky

Player
Manager
John King
If Duffy has gone elsewhere its poor by the club, he has been training with us for several weeks and played in a number of games and was on set pieces in recent games so clearly he was wanted by Micky
That is my interpretation.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
For all we know we offered the player a contract and he has been using us to train until a better offer came around. You can’t force a player to sign even if it looks like both parties are happy. I think he’s been using the club for the last few weeks.

With these short contracts , players are out to get the best deal they can.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
For all we know we offered the player a contract and he has been using us to train until a better offer came around. You can’t force a player to sign even if it looks like both parties are happy. I think he’s been using the club for the last few weeks.

With these short contracts , players are out to get the best deal they can.
It could be the case but if so would be a gamble from the player, if it was the case we didn't we then give a sign or leave offer.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
In isolation losing a 35 year old is not that important but what concerns me is the lack of signings since the Rangers game especially added to 3 players being out recently. Hopefully Maguire and Morris will be back training this week which will help things but we do need to get further signings over the line fairly quickly

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, we are leaving it pretty late now especially in respect of a quality striker.