• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2021-22

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don't think either players stat's are very good, goal return of 1 goal in 4 games not really great or is that just me
I can see where you’re coming from TRFC Jason. McNulty’s best spell came during his time at Coventry, unsure what league they were in, while Vassell’s was at Blackpool think in L1. Both played at a higher level. So would like to think that they could be fairly prolific in L2. Micky has improved forwards like Cook and Stockton in the past too. However, neither possible signing set my pulse racing, but that’s partly out of ignorance as haven’t seen much of either in action.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I don't think either players stat's are very good, goal return of 1 goal in 4 games not really great or is that just me
A lot of those games are at Championship or League One level, or when played out of position. I think they would both be good signings in League Two and would score more than our current strikers. Wikipedia stats don't always tell the full story.

McNulty averaged one in two at Coventry and Hibs (first spell), and one in three at Livingstone; Vassell one in three at Blackpool.

In any case, it is far from certain at the moment that we are signing either.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Hopefully Micky was playing some mind games in his interview trying to keep things low key and someone is incoming
Yes. Was good interview I thought Sparky.
3 ways to look at it:-
1) MP has had a quiet word with MM after the Rangers game where he said we only had 11 players and has asked him to tone it down.
2) MM is doing as you say and we will see McNulty/ Vassell / ANO come in very soon plus a couple of other players as well - eg Khan?
3) MP and MM are on the same page and have decided that the costs are simply too high and we need to wait and see who blinks first when from August out of contract players have no income.

I suspect it is probably a little bit of all 3 as I was struck how MM stressed that he agreed the costs of bringing in some players were simply "too high for a well run football club to afford". Wonder also has some cash that was expected from Indonesia been delayed (they have a major COVID outbreak) meaning MP cannot commit to further spend until it comes in?

One final thought - have MM and MP agreed the scale of the rebuild and the impact of COVID on the club's finances means that the likelihood of automatics is low and so they will keep some powder dry until January so they can evaluate where we are re playoffs?

Player
Manager
John King
I think the first three scenarios are all possibles, but the last one is unlikely as Mellon would not want to spend half the season with an undercooked squad and recruitment in January is generally even more difficult than in the summer. I don't think Palios would favour that approach either.

My gut feeling watching the interview was that we went back to Reading with an improved offer following the Rangers interview, which they have rejected, and in the short term MM has accepted that we can't be held to ransom for inflated fees.

Who knows though ?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It is interesting. Was surprised how strongly Micky came out about squad strength after the Rangers game and in that context how relatively low key he’s been in more recent interviews despite the lack of depth in the squad becoming more apparent.

Many things have been suggested including delaying signings as a money-saving exercise or re-calibrating our targets as originals have become out of reach. I don’t feel the current squad has the feel of a top six budget spent one, so think there must be additions to come, even if not those we originally hoped for.

Player
Manager
John King
I still think the current squad suggests we have spent fairly heavily by historic standards. MacManaman, Watson and Davies won't have come cheap, among others.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I’m not so sure. Mcmanaman is likely to be one of our higher earners but Watson and Davies may have been attracted by reasons of geography, would they be getting vastly more than the likes of Woolery and Vaughan?

Player
Manager
John King
I’m not so sure. Mcmanaman is likely to be one of our higher earners but Watson and Davies may have been attracted by reasons of geography, would they be getting vastly more than the likes of Woolery and Vaughan?
No, but we also had a healthy wage budget last season.

Player
Manager
John King
The suggestion is that the McNulty deal is agreed but has been delayed due to Reading's transfer embargo.

Typical of our luck to get caught by something like that.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The suggestion is that the McNulty deal is agreed but has been delayed due to Reading's transfer embargo.

Typical of our luck to get caught by something like that.
Yes, that makes sense but I think our interests will be at the bottom of the list unfortunately. I’ve dug this out. https://thetilehurstend.sbnation.co...go-confirmed-efl-what-you-need-to-know-royals
Reading are in deep do-dos and their recruitment is in paralysis until they get clarification from the EFL. It’s not clear if they are allowed to offload players but if they can’t sign anyone, there is a chance they will be so desperate for bodies that Marc McNulty could find himself in the first-team squad! I think Reading will do all they can to lift the embargo but it may take time. Can we afford to wait and/or risk the deal collapsing?

Salfordwhite

Player
Michael Ricketts
Yes, that makes sense but I think our interests will be at the bottom of the list unfortunately. I’ve dug this out. https://thetilehurstend.sbnation.co...go-confirmed-efl-what-you-need-to-know-royals
Reading are in deep do-dos and their recruitment is in paralysis until they get clarification from the EFL. It’s not clear if they are allowed to offload players but if they can’t sign anyone, there is a chance they will be so desperate for bodies that Marc McNulty could find himself in the first-team squad! I think Reading will do all they can to lift the embargo but it may take time. Can we afford to wait and/or risk the deal collapsing?
Mcnulty has a colourful past various nightclub skirmishes and an arrest for match fixing, hopefully if he comes we will get his head down.

Alun

Player
Eddie Dagger Roberts
Thanks BBTC, an interesting article, that`s for sure.

Player
Manager
John King
Our game on Saturday is now against Burnley's first team. A good test for the players.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Mixed emotions about this. It’s good to test yourselves against the strongest possible opponent, but a thumping, should it happen, is not going to be great for morale as our last game before the season proper starts.