• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The squad 20/21

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
That looks like a very good signing and comes with very positive reviews. Starting to shape up nicely now.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Cook would be a good signing. He struggled a bit last season but A fresh start in a lower division could work plus if he is given the service like crosses from wide he will score goals

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Cook is a better goalscorer than our current strikers. Vaughan is probably out of our reach but Cook might be a realistic signing.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Cook would get us goals for sure. I would be very happy to see him back.

Player
aldo
hi, all sos I've not been on much run off our feet at the mo. I am really happy with both players today now up top needs sorting we need goals

drwhoman

Some good signings so far. Cook would be good but he will need service. Do we have any wingers?

ADD

Player
Norwood
Not familiar with Khan but looks like a good signing also. What's going on - all the signings so far have been pretty much universally praised!!
Cook is an interesting one - he wasn't great when he came back in January. TBH I am struggling to see why so many seem not to rate our current forwards who let's be honest didn't get great service most of last season. Ferrier and Payne will be a handful I feel in L2 IF they get decent service which with our midfield recruits they should get.

TRFC Finland

Player
Liam Ridehalgh
I have full faith in Ferrier and Payne , would be more important to sign a good right-back to be honest. Of course a 3rd striker would be nice haha

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Not familiar with Khan but looks like a good signing also. What's going on - all the signings so far have been pretty much universally praised!!
Cook is an interesting one - he wasn't great when he came back in January. TBH I am struggling to see why so many seem not to rate our current forwards who let's be honest didn't get great service most of last season. Ferrier and Payne will be a handful I feel in L2 IF they get decent service which with our midfield recruits they should get.
I think the biggest issue with our current forwards is that there aren't enough of them. While I don't have any problem with Payne we will ideally sign a third forward of a higher calibre; Cook would fit the bill but I'm sure that there are other options.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Banks is good news, for the continuity and on a good day he can pick something unexpected out of the bag. If he’s now matured and can improve his decision-making, particularly in away games, I would be even happier.

Don’t know that much about Otis Khan. He isn’t as prolific a scorer as Jennings was , though he has played higher up the pyramid, while from what Stags fans have said get the impression of talent rather than graft. Hope we can able to build on that potential.

On forwards, Payne should do better with the right kind of ball played to his strengths. Ferrier is hard to pigeon-hole, a real handful and his main contribution may not be simply goals scored.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
My problem with Ferrier and Payne is not that they won't be reasonable players in League Two, but that neither of them have been prolific, aside from a couple of seasons for Payne in non league football. To seriously challenge for promotion I think you really need a striker that is capable of scoring twenty goals.

Reactions: Ian
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson

ADD

Player
Norwood
Cook’s strength is in the air. He will need people who can cross a ball.
Banks can, Khan apparently can and DWR was the best dead ball taker in the Club last season from what I saw in the micky mouse cup games he played in.

ADD

Player
Norwood
It would be incredible. A 400% pay cut would mean he'd be paying the club to play. ;)
The cap doesn't stop a Marquee signing but we clearly cannot have a squad full of them! The other thing is all the under 22 players are exempt so we have 4 players who don't count in the cap. Now I think DWR will be close to first team this season especially as we are at a lower level - whether the 3 first year pros are good enough I have no idea as I haven't seen enough of them but if Jacko sees them as possibles for the match squad then he will be able to bring in a few more players on above L2 average wages - after all Spearing and Khan also were apparently getting interest from L1 clubs. Under a salary cap a successful Manager will likely be be one who runs with a squad of less than 22 players (20 following year) with a handful of exempt under 22 players who can play if needed due injuries/ suspensions and who don't cause any significant reduction in team performance.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree that there would still be question marks IMO about whether Payne and Ferrier would get enough goals. Payne more of a poacher but Ferrier was a funny one - in some games he was unplayable. In others he looked disinterested, especially when things went against us. Plus he likes to try and con the ref every now and then so we need another good striker at that level. Cookie would give give us another type of striker as much stronger in the air than the other two. Vaughan is more of a poacher type and I’d prefer cookie if to be honest as concerned we’d be spending too much on Vaughan if we signed him. The jury very much still out on Payne as his record overall is pretty average

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The jury very much still out on Payne as his record overall is pretty average
I think we have seen enough of Payne to know what his strengths and weaknesses are. We need better quality players than Payne to progress.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Joe Murphy expected to be announced as back up to Scottie