• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The squad 20/21

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Joe Murphy expected to be announced as back up to Scottie
That is a good move. Having Pilling on the bench has caused us problems in the last few seasons, as he was not good enough to step up and then we were left scrabbling for a loan keeper.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think we have seen enough of Payne to know what his strengths and weaknesses are. We need better quality players than Payne to progress.
I can't see any other option than keeping Payne on, unlikely anybody is going to want to sign him off us on current wages and with current financial constraints, we can't afford to pay off his contract. So it's going to be a case of trying to get the best out of him, don't see Stefan as a regular starter, but he'll get a chance off the bench.

In terms of crossing, there are plenty of decent sources of crosses at the club, but neither of our current strikers, or Vaughan, if by some miracle he signs, are prolific at converting that kind of chance. We need a Cook/Norwood type player who is good in the air, to ensure such chances are taken. There were many times last season, where decent ball into the box was not attacked by the forwards.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Joe Murphy expected to be announced as back up to Scottie
That is a good move. Having Pilling on the bench has caused us problems in the last few seasons, as he was not good enough to step up and then we were left scrabbling for a loan keeper.
I agree that having an experienced goalie nearing the end of their career is the best kind of back -up keeper. While it was clear the management didn't have much confidence in Pilling, if he had been given a chance, that would have meant a youth keeper as back-up, since nobody would loan out a keeper just to sit on our bench.

Player
Manager
John King
We don't necessarily have to supply forwards through crosses. If somebody of the quality of Vaughan signs, we will find ways to supply him and he will score goals. Norwood's strength was running on to through balls, not serving as a target man.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We don't necessarily have to supply forwards through crosses. If somebody of the quality of Vaughan signs, we will find ways to supply him and he will score goals. Norwood's strength was running on to through balls, not serving as a target man.
I’m not disagreeing with any of this, but you don’t have to be a target-man type striker to be good in the air. One of Norwood’s attributes is his aerial strength reckon he got a few every season from headers, most notably the goal to restore our FL status. By contrast neither Ferrier/Payne seem adept in that area, not seen enough of Vaughan to comment.

Player
Manager
John King
I’m not disagreeing with any of this, but you don’t have to be a target-man type striker to be good in the air. One of Norwood’s attributes is his aerial strength reckon he got a few every season from headers, most notably the goal to restore our FL status. By contrast neither Ferrier/Payne seem adept in that area, not seen enough of Vaughan to comment.
Yes, I agree that Norwood was underrated in the air.

Reactions: Boz

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Wow! He's signed. That'll be our budget gone but great news!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
That is fantastic! I’m sure we’ll all agree these signings have been worth waiting for.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Vaughan signs. How much has that cost us? Has Palios won the lottery or are out Far East friends helping out?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Sounds like he came to an agreement with Bradford over his last 2 years of his contact there

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The spine of the squad is looking so experienced. Scottie, Clarke, Spearing and Vaughan. All former captains too with Scottie still ours at the moment. Add to that the creativity of khan and hopefully CBT it could be an exciting season

Player
Manager
John King
The spine of the squad is looking so experienced. Scottie, Clarke, Spearing and Vaughan. All former captains too with Scottie still ours at the moment. Add to that the creativity of khan and hopefully CBT it could be an exciting season
I just hope we can hold on to CBT now. We have got an excellent midfield for League Two on paper, with the players previously mentioned plus CBT and Morris out wide.

Rumours of another decent signing to come in the next few days.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I guess that means it’s unlikely cookie will be back. I’d still prefer a target man option but shouldn’t complain after what MP has spent this week!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A cracking signing which I'm made up with, I didn't think we could afford him but happy that we were able too, signings so far have been very good.

drwhoman

Signings like this and Spearing suggest that Jacko is well regarded by players. Someone has helped the budget financially you would think although losing 20 people might have helped sadly.

Player
Manager
John King
In other news, Macclesfield have been relegated and Stevenage reinstated. More inconsistency from the EFL and we lose a local fixture.