• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The squad 20/21

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Monthe was good in League Two last time around and Nelson was also fine at that level. Ray was Crewe captain and player of the year before his move to Prenton Park, so it is not unreasonable to assume he can do a job next season.

A partnership of Clarke and Monthe would be pretty good in League Two, assuming age does not catch up with Clarke.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Monthe was good in League Two last time around and Nelson was also fine at that level. Ray was Crewe captain and player of the year before his move to Prenton Park, so it is not unreasonable to assume he can do a job next season.

A partnership of Clarke and Monthe would be pretty good in League Two, assuming age does not catch up with Clarke.
agree with this, we have a lot more pressing needs than at centre half.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume

agree with this, we have a lot more pressing needs than at centre half.
I agree that we're likely to have to make the best of what we've got in central defence, but have reservations. Crewe fans didn't seem that troubled by Ray's departure and he had a tendency to make key errors while there. It may be asking a lot for Clarke to stay fit all season and while a defensive partnership with Clarke and Monthe may work at L2 level, it is noteworthy that our winning run at the end of last season came when Manny was dropped and replaced by Ellis at the back.

Player
Manager
John King
Ellis is probably the best defender of the five but he only played a small role in our promotion two years ago. Monthe was pretty much ever present and played a key role. Ellis has also had injury problems, more so than any of the others.

Ray will probably be third or fourth choice next season. In the current climate, we are not realistically going to have a top League Two defender as our fourth choice.

We currently have one senior central midfielder and no forwards who could be described as prolific. That is where the focus of our recruitment should be.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We currently have one senior central midfielder and no forwards who could be described as prolific. That is where the focus of our recruitment should be.
Most definitely.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Undoubtedly we need squad additions elsewhere; two central midfielders, right-back, reserve keeper. It’s true about our current forward, but salary cap raises doubts that we’ll be able to bring anyone of proven quality and have to hope that we’re able to spot a good player who won’t be a headline act.

Player
Manager
John King
I would argue that the salary cap also means it is not sensible to have five centre backs. The money is better spent elsewhere.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Including walker_rice we have 12 players, so we need to bring in a number of players fairly shortly with just less than 5 weeks till the season starta.

Mark said in his update last week that we have a goalkeeping coach, seems strange that whoever it is has not yet been announced.

Must be some pre season games shortly as well.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Must be some pre season games shortly as well.
I suppose as they will all have to be behind closed doors, they can be organised at relatively short notice.

At the moment, we could just about raise a team but could not fill the bench, except with youngsters. Mark and Mike are definitely playing the long game on recruitment.

drwhoman

With outbreaks in a number of UK cities BBTC it would not be a surprise if either the new season or fans attending starting dates wwere moved forward. There seem to be second outbreaks in Europe so the same may happen in UK. I see two individuals involved with Atletico Madrid have proved Corvid positive. With hindsight their game in Liverpool in March should not have been played. The long game is probably the right one at present although you never know with Boris. His concern for the economy and his public image might dictate that the health considerations take second place as in the US and Brazil.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Drwhoman, you could certainly argue that health considerations are taking a backseat to other things under Boris. There's been a local lockdown in Huddersfield, so I can't go to a neighbour's house/garden but can go to a local pub or into work in Leeds, which isn't under lockdown (yet). Go figure. I'm surprised the EFL haven't looked at moving the start date back to the start of October, the government's aspirational date for allowing fans back into games, though recent events suggest that may get moved back as well.

BBTC, I'm unsure how much say Mike Jackson will have on the timing of recruitment, but guessing that Mark will have explained his strategy during the interview process. If there's no sign of a change to the start date in a week or so, then it becomes more of a risk to hold off recruitment at that point, although one which could pay off in considering the long-term future of our football club.

Bigmart, wasn't Chris Kirkland shown putting Scott Davies through his paces in the return to training footage? Until we recruit a reserve keeper, the value of having a goalkeeping coach is limited, that's an area where I could understand Mark keeping his hand is his pocket a little while longer.

drwhoman

Drwhoman, you could certainly argue that health considerations are taking a backseat to other things under Boris. There's been a local lockdown in Huddersfield, so I can't go to a neighbour's house/garden but can go to a local pub or into work in Leeds, which isn't under lockdown (yet). Go figure. I'm surprised the EFL haven't looked at moving the start date back to the start of October, the government's aspirational date for allowing fans back into games, though recent events suggest that may get moved back as well.

BBTC, I'm unsure how much say Mike Jackson will have on the timing of recruitment, but guessing that Mark will have explained his strategy during the interview process. If there's no sign of a change to the start date in a week or so, then it becomes more of a risk to hold off recruitment at that point, although one which could pay off in considering the long-term future of our football club.

Bigmart, wasn't Chris Kirkland shown putting Scott Davies through his paces in the return to training footage? Until we recruit a reserve keeper, the value of having a goalkeeping coach is limited, that's an area where I could understand Mark keeping his hand is his pocket a little while longer.
Thanks Boz. I imagine that in need Kirkland could play in goal. He is highly experienced and could fill in if there was a delay in finding a loanee.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thanks Boz. I imagine that in need Kirkland could play in goal. He is highly experienced and could fill in if there was a delay in finding a loanee.
His career was blighted by injury and he retired 4 years ago, so it would be a surprise if he started playing again. There is some merit in having a keeping coach who can fill in as reserve keeper like Iain Turner did during NL days.

drwhoman

His career was blighted by injury and he retired 4 years ago, so it would be a surprise if he started playing again. There is some merit in having a keeping coach who can fill in as reserve keeper like Iain Turner did during NL days.
Of fair comment Boz but if you had a crisis and there was no time to sign a loaner....

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Lonegran could maybe do GK coach/no.2 as may have picked up coaching technique from Achterberg. If he's a free agent of course.

Player
Jonny Morrisey
Chuffed Ollie Banks has signed, hopefully he'll do well with Spearing along side him to do the donkey work. No doubt he's a decent player at this level, hopefully we'll see more consistency this season!