• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The squad 20/21

TRFC Finland

Player
Liam Ridehalgh
a quality player for League 2 definitely. Any news on CBT? Is he still a tranmere player?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Facebook has gone into meltdown after Nors tweeted a picture saying good to be back in Liverpool!

Player
aldo
hi, guys sorry I've been quiet this week we have been battered this week. I am well happy that things have started it would be amazing if James came in to

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I’m as shocked as I am delighted by the Spearing signing. I had heard he’d left Blackpool over a contract issue, so the fact we could afford him and persuade him to come to PP is brilliant. I wonder how much a part his nan and his family played in the decision.

It is definitely a statement of intent from the club. I hadn’t expected any signings for awhile, but we are back in business!!

drwhoman

I’m as shocked as I am delighted by the Spearing signing. I had heard he’d left Blackpool over a contract issue, so the fact we could afford him and persuade him to come to PP is brilliant. I wonder how much a part his nan and his family played in the decision.

It is definitely a statement of intent from the club. I hadn’t expected any signings for awhile, but we are back in business!!
Some nice comments from Jay on the Echo website and he is clearly a local with plenty of family supporting the club. Also knows Ian Dawes well. My captain for next season. No disrespect to Scott but he is better placed to drive the team forward.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Pleasantly surprised by the Spearing signing, after Mark's recent interview, I wasn't expecting it. Can remember someone pointing him out at a Rovers game when he was on Liverpool's books and with family members being Rovers fans, he'll have a better idea about what makes us tick than many joining the club afresh. Wonder if this means the Woodyard deal is dead?

Brief mention of the departing younger players. I saw Evan Gumbs make a promising debut coming on at Luton, but he was then frozen out by Brabin and he was very unlucky with injuries. If he can stay fit and get a regular run out, could see him holding down a place in a NL side and maybe getting the chance to fulfil that early promise. Luke Pilling, I hardly saw him play, so rare were his opportunities. We will need another keeper, perhaps better getting an older deputy at the end of their career who'll be available to stand in if Scotty is out.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I was thinking the same about Woodyard. Spearing said the talks got serious 'a couple of weeks ago', which is when the Woodyard deal seemed to go off the rails.

Despite today's signing, I don't think we have suddenly struck gold. I think it is more a case of offloading a lot of reasonable earners (Mullin, Jennings, Perkins, Potter) and operating with a smaller squad. However, it still says something about our financial stability that we can make a signing like this in the current climate.

drwhoman

I was thinking the same about Woodyard. Spearing said the talks got serious 'a couple of weeks ago', which is when the Woodyard deal seemed to go off the rails.

Despite today's signing, I don't think we have suddenly struck gold. I think it is more a case of offloading a lot of reasonable earners (Mullin, Jennings, Perkins, Potter) and operating with a smaller squad. However, it still says something about our financial stability that we can make a signing like this in the current climate.
Fair comment RLC but time will tell on the size of the squad. The longer this goes the less players will be choosy on wages. It might even be said, perhaps unfairly, that Jay signed while the going was good! (LOL!).

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
RLC mentions operating with a smaller squad - and hopefully a less injury prone one. I'd be happy with quality over quantity, if we can bring in loanees and temporary signings when we are short. I wonder if the rules on loanees etc. are changing. Maybe they think as I do, that there will be so many out-of-contract players that if necessary they will be able to sign players outside the transfer windows.

ADD

Player
Norwood
I think he was captain when they played at our place, he is 31 so has a few years left in him yet.
I heard he mentioned leadership twice in his interview. Great if he is able to help the 3 first year youngsters and DWR as they need to be capable of being involved this year. Suspect the Captaincy has also been discussed and he will be made Captain (or at least captain on the pitch) - I have always felt an outfielder should be Captain and he clearly fits the bill. He is not a panacea as just one player but surprised and delighted we were able to afford him.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’d still have Clarke as skipper but Spearing would do. It was a mistake IMO to give it to Scottie.

agree about quality over quantity. I love Mickey but one thing he has been accused of at other clubs at times was a scatter gun approach to recruitment and just bringing a load of players in assuming some will work out.

I guess Like many clubs we can’t take that risk anymore

ADD

Player
Norwood
I’d still have Clarke as skipper but Spearing would do. It was a mistake IMO to give it to Scottie.

agree about quality over quantity. I love Mickey but one thing he has been accused of at other clubs at times was a scatter gun approach to recruitment and just bringing a load of players in assuming some will work out.

I guess Like many clubs we can’t take that risk anymore
That's a fair call re Clarke - both would be great in the role - I wonder though if he might go with Spearing simply because other things being equal Clarke being older might be out more with injuries?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree generally with an outfield player as captain, but we didn’t have an obvious candidate last season, so Scott Davies a fair choice. Now both Clarke and Spearing suitable candidates.

ADD mentions Danny Walker-Rice, but don’t recall any confirmation he accepted the deal offered?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think Walker Rice did accept the deal.

I thought it was interesting that Spearing said Jackson's attitude and ambition was key to him signing.

ADD

Player
Norwood
I think Walker Rice did accept the deal.

I thought it was interesting that Spearing said Jackson's attitude and ambition was key to him signing.
Yes RLC I also read elsewhere that DWR did accept the deal and has signed tho pretty sure the Club has never released news officially?

Yes Spearing's comments were interesting - if you were a cynic you might possibly think that MP had a quiet word before the interview asking him to big up our new management team of Jacko and Dawes but I couldn't possibly comment...
Mind you even if he did Jay carried it off to perfection ;)
This is to me one of the best signings we have made in the recent close seasons - and cannot have been cheap... if we can bring in 3 or 4 more at similar level then things change materially.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I’m not too bothered about the captaincy issue. Scotty has been a good leader, but Spearing and Clarke are both experienced captains. The big positive is that we will have a few leaders on the pitch.

And yes, I can confirm Danny Walker-Rice has signed a new one-year deal.

Reactions: Boz