• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The squad 20/21

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A good appointment, I guess. I agree he has a good pedigree and is local but not to be confused with the former QPR player. He was assistant manager at Blackpool until Simon Grayson arrived, but then redeployed to another role. He must have been relieved to get the call from Mike Jackson. I’m really pleased for both men and they can now get on with planning for the season ahead

Now, are we now going to see some signings? Probably not for a while, but Dawes will have a few more ideas and contacts, which will help Mike.

Re the season ahead, I’ll only believe we are on our way when I hear dates for some pre-season games. Patience is the watchword for Rovers fans at the moment.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Good update from MP saying it's difficult to plan with all the uncertainty and doesn't feel is right talking about players etc.. Mix in the salary cap issues, players out of contract, paying gates.

MP talks about striking a balance and not throwing away 6 years of hard work by taking chances in the current marketplace.
It doesn't sound like there will be any signings anytime soon, but there is a lot going on behind the scenes.

Patience is key guys.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
He basically reiterated a lot of the points made by people on here in recent days.

It was interesting that he said there had been absolutely no concrete financial information from the EFL in relation to emergency support, the real likelihood of paying gates, etc.

ADD

Player
Norwood
MP interview was a masterclass in not saying that much but interesting nonetheless... he is clearly not willing to take unnecessary financial risk and clearly believes Clubs will force the EFL into delaying the start of the season, or I guess the Government forcing them to abandon the COVID testing protocols which will stop football anyhow.
That's all well and good if the start is delayed but perversely the more other Clubs recruit now and therefore have players on the books does it not become more likely that clubs will not want to delay the season start? Those clubs will need to play will they not to get access to solidarity payments, TV money/ Ifollow payments etc.?
I have to believe that he won't want to 100% take that risk and that we will bring in at least a few players this week...

drwhoman

MP interview was a masterclass in not saying that much but interesting nonetheless... he is clearly not willing to take unnecessary financial risk and clearly believes Clubs will force the EFL into delaying the start of the season, or I guess the Government forcing them to abandon the COVID testing protocols which will stop football anyhow.
That's all well and good if the start is delayed but perversely the more other Clubs recruit now and therefore have players on the books does it not become more likely that clubs will not want to delay the season start? Those clubs will need to play will they not to get access to solidarity payments, TV money/ Ifollow payments etc.?
I have to believe that he won't want to 100% take that risk and that we will bring in at least a few players this week...
All fair comments but with the EFL in charge? I would assume nothing. If I had Mark’s money, which is probably decent but not mega, and given all the past hard work, I would also be cautious. Aiming for a promotion winning squad, based on quality signed early, sounds a serious risk for him. Maybe mid table until things settle down, whenever that will be (!) is a sensible option. However, Jackson and Dawes might achieve more. We will see!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Talked a lot but said very.little, he thinks the season won't start on 12th September and that is why there have been no signings so far, I am not sure the season will be delayed.

The only.potato e note is the coaching team coming together, appears to be Chris Kirkland the goalie coach.

Player
Manager
John King
He thinks crowds won't necessarily be coming into the ground in October, and even if they do the government have not yet set a definite limit on capacity and there could well be future restrictions, as events in the last week have demonstrated. That makes it impossible to know what income we will have in a few months, which is why we have delayed signing players.

The long term survival of the club trumps getting a few short term headlines.

drwhoman

Talked a lot but said very.little, he thinks the season won't start on 12th September and that is why there have been no signings so far, I am not sure the season will be delayed.

The only.potato e note is the coaching team coming together, appears to be Chris Kirkland the goalie coach.
A highly experienced and capable keeper. See how he goes although I am not sure he can tell Davies much. Is Pilling still around?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A highly experienced and capable keeper. See how he goes although I am not sure he can tell Davies much. Is Pilling still around?
polling one of the out of contract players who has not been offered a new deal.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
polling one of the out of contract players who has not been offered a new deal.
Have the club actually said which out-of-contract players will definitely not be offered new terms? I haven't heard any news about any of these players, except when they sign for other clubs (Jennings, McCullough).

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It was the right thing to do for Mark to come out and give an update on the situation, even if there wasn't that much to say because of the continuing uncertainty. There is clearly a lot of work going on behind the scenes, which will hopefully pay off when the season resumes.

There is some validity in the issues ADD raises and from what Mark said about the tele-conference, not a lot of leadership from the EFL. If there is pressure from enough to start behind closed doors to bring some money in, then as a bare minimum, we need to sign enough players to be able to have a starting xi and a full bench for that game.

The area that puzzles me a little is all the recruiting of a full back-room team at this point in time. Couldn't that have been deferred in the way that player recruitment has?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Have the club actually said which out-of-contract players will definitely not be offered new terms? I haven't heard any news about any of these players, except when they sign for other clubs (Jennings, McCullough).
No. The impression from the July facebook meeting was that while there may have been sounding out of out of contract players, no new deals were on offer then and nothings changed since.

Player
Manager
John King
It was the right thing to do for Mark to come out and give an update on the situation, even if there wasn't that much to say because of the continuing uncertainty. There is clearly a lot of work going on behind the scenes, which will hopefully pay off when the season resumes.

There is some validity in the issues ADD raises and from what Mark said about the tele-conference, not a lot of leadership from the EFL. If there is pressure from enough to start behind closed doors to bring some money in, then as a bare minimum, we need to sign enough players to be able to have a starting xi and a full bench for that game.

The area that puzzles me a little is all the recruiting of a full back-room team at this point in time. Couldn't that have been deferred in the way that player recruitment has?
I would guess the backroom team has to be in place or there would simply be too much work for Jackson to do, even with a depleted squad (coaching, scouting, recruitment). As a novice manager, I am sure he is glad to have some help.

Plus, experienced coaching staff would be more difficult to recruit than the majority of players.

Last edited:

drwhoman

I have just read that Fulham’s promotion is worth 135m to them over three years. Club finance, like life generally, is seriously skewed towards the better off. It would be funny if it was not so serious! What is our annual budget? 2/3m?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I have just read that Fulham’s promotion is worth 135m to them over three years. Club finance, like life generally, is seriously skewed towards the better off. It would be funny if it was not so serious! What is our annual budget? 2/3m?
it was 2.6m last season but will be considerably less this season.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Matt Jones says Evan Gibbs has been released and has interest from national keague, had awful luck with injuries hope he gets another club and gets a run of games under his belt, always sad to see a local lad leave.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Matt Jones says Evan Gibbs has been released and has interest from national keague, had awful luck with injuries hope he gets another club and gets a run of games under his belt, always sad to see a local lad leave.
Assuming you mean Gumbs, probably the right time for a parting of the ways. Good luck to the lad.