• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The squad 20/21

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I saw Danny Holmes the other day. Was he left or right footed?

Player
Ian Goodison
Delighted to have signed Jay Spearing who has played over 250 games in all the leagues above league two,

It is without a doubt being a local lad was a big factor, he has earned well during his Liverpool years and three years in the Championship with Bolton and no doubt would rather spend the time with his young family instead of commuting to the likes of Sunderland and Bolton.

He has a coaching role with Liverpool also which ties in well with living on the Wirral, at 31 he easily has three or four good years in him depending on what league we are in (Hopefully the Championship some day).

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I saw Danny Holmes the other day. Was he left or right footed?
right footed.

There are some huge holes in the squad at the moment which need to be filled soon.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Matt Jones thinks not many of any of the players we had last season will be here next season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Matt Jones thinks not many of any of the players we had last season will be here next season.
I find it quite strange that we’ve not made more of an effort to hold onto them. Jennings, Banks, Ellis, Caprice were all capable players at L2 level and with the signing of Spearing it’s not all about the money as I’d originally thought. Continuity and gradual change works better than a big re-building exercise.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
There are so many unemployed players at the moment, I think it will be relatively easy to fill a lot of positions with players of moderate ability.

The club's approach seems to be to have some genuine quality in the key areas and fill the gaps when the start of the season is imminent and wages have fallen further.

Player
Manager
John King
I find it quite strange that we’ve not made more of an effort to hold onto them. Jennings, Banks, Ellis, Caprice were all capable players at L2 level and with the signing of Spearing it’s not all about the money as I’d originally thought. Continuity and gradual change works better than a big re-building exercise.
But it is quite possible we needed to offload a lot of the relatively high earners so we could afford players of the quality of Spearing. The size of the squad will have to be reduced somehow. Of the players listed, it is only Ellis I would be desperate to keep.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, I think we’ll be working with a small squad. I think someone said the other day, it’s more a case of quality over quantity although you do wonder how many of MM players does MJ rate?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Even if we are able to recruit sufficient quality players, they're not all going to gel straight off. Having players of lesser quality, but capable at L2 level, who are familiar with their team-mates could compensate to a significant extent. While Spearing is a better player than Woodyard, might Alex's better knowledge of his team-mates been a help in the short-term? Can't be certain, but it's a thought.

By comparison to many L1 teams, we didn't have that big a squad last season. With operating a smaller squad in the coming season, we don't seem to have many utility players currently signed up.

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, I think we’ll be working with a small squad. I think someone said the other day, it’s more a case of quality over quantity although you do wonder how many of MM players does MJ rate?
Jackson certainly seems happy to freshen things up. I still think some of it is financial; we are not prepared to offer twenty players contracts now, just those we see as vital.

Player
aldo
I can handle a freshened up team be good to see it coming together as we just can't stand still, it is going to be an interesting few weeks now

Player
Manager
John King
The salary cap has been approved by League Two clubs. Twenty two clubs voted in favour, with just two against (no prizes for guessing who they were).

Good news in my opinion.

Player
Manager
John King
The downside in the short term is that it probably makes the Vaughan transfer extremely unlikely, as we would only be able to offer him a fraction of his current salary at Bradford.

iandavid59

Matty Foulds is training with Tranmere and would be another great signing. Good Centre Back who can play at Left Back as well.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Now Pilling has gone I assume we need a second keeper. Did I read Andy Lonegran has been released by Liverpool? Maybe John Achterberg will nudge him our way - decent competition for Scottie.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Matty Foulds is training with Tranmere and would be another great signing. Good Centre Back who can play at Left Back as well.

As he has never played a league game.then I'm not sure how great a signing he would be.

drwhoman

The salary cap has been approved by League Two clubs. Twenty two clubs voted in favour, with just two against (no prizes for guessing who they were).

Good news in my opinion.
Southend and Bolton I assume? I see the PFA are complaining. Where does this leave clubs who have already signed players? I suppose they just have to offer future signings less.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Drwhoman, players signed before today are deemed to be average L2 salary, which may help those teams who have recruited early. Players already under contract at relegated /demoted sides also are deemed average salary which will help Rovers the coming season.

Think Bradford were one of the no votes, guess Salford the other.

Player
Manager
John King
It might superficially seem that the moneybags clubs who signed early have gained an advantage. However, if players of similar quality are still available, they have paid four or five times the new market price and have committed themselves to long contracts.